New Digital Mixer ?

wnlively

Gear owned
da-30 da-30 mk2 da-40 tsr-8
Has any one heard if Tascam will be releasing a new Digital Mixer in the near Future ? Possibly in the fall of this year ?

Yes - but you'll have to pass a rigorous test on your current mixer to qualify for purchase. :LOL:

Seriously - if Tascam plans to unveil something later this year, it'll be announced at Summer NAMM.

CaptDan

I have an e-mail from a Tascam rep that says the 4800 will likely be discontinued, but the 3200 will continue to be produced. If something might replace the 4800 is anybody's guess, but I certainly don't see what they would do to improve on them, and digital consoles are not a red-not category. My best prediction is no.

Thanks guys for your in put.
I have the same thought as captdan that its possible to see a new release at summer namm.
I really want a dm4800 and have almosty pulled the trigger a couple of times, but i keep getting this feeling of wait and see.

One of the main reqasons I havent made the purchase is because I am currently using a RME UFX which supposedly as better a/d than the dm 4800.

I was also hoping tpo see a newer product with a color LCD or a Ipad port.
No doubt that the DM4800 is way cool and has been a huge sucsess for tascam, but its been around a while and I just hate to spend the money and then the DM4800 rev 2 show up.
any thoughts

wnlively

I had that same feeling when I bought my DM3200. There were rumors that the board would be discontinued, that support from Tascam would end, that the price discounts at the time proved that the series was at EOL.

I decided I didn't care. I was ready to sell my Yamaha 02/R and start recording at higher sample rates, and the DM3200 fit both my studio and my work flow, and represented both an amazing value and an elegant solution to my needs.

So I bought it, not caring whether it was in production even one day longer. That was about a year and a half ago, and since then there have been software and driver updates keeping it current with Mac OSX 10.8 and continued availability of parts.

So that's my take. If it really fits your needs, than buy it. Tascam is going to be supporting the DM software for sometime to come. If it doesn't fit your needs, then don't buy it. But don't get caught in the trap of imagining than some bench tests on a set of A/D convertors is going to make your recordings either better or worse. As I am fond of pointing out, "The Nightfly" was recorded in 16-bit using converters that weren't as good as the cheapest ones you can buy today.

"It ain't the shoes, Mars."

Old News Dept:

This isn't the first forum - nor the only digital mixer - that didn't invite worries 'bout dis 'n dat: "Will it be discontinued?' "Will the next version be better? "How are the converters?" "I heard that {brand 'x']'s EQ is warmer!" "Compared to [dat other thang], does the [insert product here] sound more 'open'?"

I hate to say this, and I'll likely have to apologize for it, but I've gotten the notion over the years that the numerous echoes of these same type of questions are inversely proportional to the capabilities of those asking them. Being so anxiously focused on features that play so small a comparative role in recording excellence is like unyielding concern over a cooking utensile without a recipe book.

Excuse my being blunt, but it has to be said.

CaptDan

No there is not an excuse for being rude.
If i were a newbe or a novice I would expect such a comment .
I have been in the music / recording scene fo 40 plus years.
And I know all to well what compaines do before they launch a new product.

They dump the old gear to make room for the new gear

As far as the comment I made abouthe RME UFX
convertes being better, well that was right from a sweetwater sales rep who in his own words said that the dm 4800 laked the low end character and the high end
response that the UFX has.

Now if im asking questions because I want to move foward and not make the wrong purchase why would you respond in such a way.

Read the DM4800 fourm many users have had issues with the LCD displays !!!!!!
All im trying to do is gather info and make the right purchase

thanks for being so nice

Not trying to be combative, just being honest. You don't have to take my opinion as fact. I've been in and out of the audio biz since around 1969 - about the same amount of time as you. So I have a bit of experience under my belt as well.

Those of us who use a certain type of gear are likely to be a bit biased; you may experience something similar with - say - those who use Yamaha or Soundcraft product. Thus, we may not provide you the most dispassionate responses. Same could be said of those who sell audio equipment as well.

Point is, to arrive at the best answer for your needs, it may be a good idea to try the gear yourself, read forums (like this one), reviews by third, neutral parties. Sound On Sound is one of the best resources; their review of the DM mixers is arguably among the most brazenly honest. Go to Soundonsound.com and search the archives if you haven't already.

There are quite a few people using DM 3200/4800 mixers - producers, and creative personnel doing high end commercial work. Without dropping names, some of them are members of this forum. I think that speaks well for the product, irrespective of its perceived flaws.

Good luck in your search; if you decide to make the investment, you'll find helpful technical assistance at this forum.

CaptDan

wnlively said:
Read the DM4800 fourm many users have had issues with the LCD displays !!!!!!
All im trying to do is gather info and make the right purchase

thanks for being so nice
Seriously, the LCD display as the "weakest link" on these mixers is old news. It's the same LCD used in the discontinued DM24. It's also used in the DM3200. The good news is it's easily replaceable and there's an excellent alternative if and when replacements are no longer available. http://www.2seemy.com

You're obviously new here and therefore aren't aware that CaptDan is a modest and invaluable source of information and has never ever written a rude or condescending post on this site (Me on the other hand can be a real prick when I see people insult my friends without reason). I think you either read his response incorrectly, are a little sensitive or maybe you enjoy puffing your chest and letting people know how long you've been in "the business". Who really cares whether you're a newbie to the industry or not? Your years in service have nothing to do with questions concerning products you know little to nothing about.

Play nice here and you can get all the information you could ever possibly want for any Tascam product (and beyond).

Good luck in whatever you purchase.

I have to back up the Captain here, as well.

I'm not saying you don't, but if you have 40 years experience in audio (!), then I would expect that you would have, by now, come to realize that it's not the gear, it's the user, you wouldn't fall for imaginary sales guy hokum like "low end character and high end response," and you certainly wouldn't imagine for a second that the phrase "right from a Sweetwater rep" meant anything at all, or that your extremely friendly and helpful Sweeaterwater rep (you are a member of their special family, after all) had ever directly compared the two interfaces in question.

And yeah, that might be rude, but I've lost my patience with the Internet. it's not you, it's me.

Because I caused the thread to swerve a bit sideways, I thought it best to add a final few cents:

RME makes great stuff, in my opinion. So does UA, for that matter. Both these products have been mentioned here recently, so - for what it may be worth - an individual conducted a rather unscientific, but interesting comparison test at Gearslutz: http://tinyurl.com/ceh2yfz

The most compelling about this is, the variance of responses, subjectivity of the remarks, and contradictions in what listeners judge as 'better.' My takeaway: whatever differences there are between these two interfaces is so miniscule as to be irrelevant in the bigger scheme - that any number of efx or DSP could render qualitative comparisons inconsequential.

Bringing it back ontopic: would a bare-naked DM4800/3200 sound any different in that scenario? And if it did, would it matter?

Food for thought.

CaptDan

I'm not here to get flamed.
I'm just trying to make the right purchase.
In my opinion it is the gear and the knowing how to use the gear.
So please forgive me for looking down the road

I've seen some meritricious interweb flames, and none of what's been expressed in this thread is remotely in the same universe.

Just wondering: the RME UFX is an excellent interface. Have you considered, perhaps, keeping it and adding a DAW & controller to your workflow? Maybe a digital/hybrid mixer - whether current or in the near future - isn't the best solution.

Jes' sayin'.

CaptDan

Ive noticed a trend towards the double layer mixing board. DAW controler/ mixer.
I feel that is what the dm 4800 / 3200 does and more.
I am realy antcipating summer Namm to see what is out there.
Currently I am also looking at the Foucusrite 2802 and the allen & heath Gsr 24.

If any of yall hear of any thing new happining please keep me posted

Neal

Any way
I do have a few questions
I have been readin the manual quite a bit over the last month.
I had thought about purchasing the 8 in/ out analog card.

Would this allow me yo use my Neve and API mic pre's with out going through the
dm4800 mi pre's ? (not that there is anything wrong with the dm4800 pre's)

Also the Adat card will it allow you to record at 96k ?
Is the DM 4800 limited to 48k on the internal Adat connector

Yes - the analog card would allow that. There's also a less elegant, slightly less advantageous way: either use the DM's insert jacks, with a 1/4" TRS jack 1/2 way clicked to bypass the onboard preamps, or - use the Assignable Returns. Either way, there's a small signal deficit because the connection is imbalanced, which can be compensated with channel/fader gain.

The Adat card (not the native/onboard ADAT ports) are limited to 48kz. That means you'll 1/2 the input capability above 48k. What that boils down to is, 8 x 96k is available without the expansion cards, and additional 4x96kz per card beyond that.

Hope I got that math right; there's plenty of ADAT on my mixer but haven't had need to use it. So I'm going by memory.

CaptDan

captdan said:
Either way, there's a small signal deficit because the connection is imbalanced
ASN returns are balanced.

captdan said:
The Adat card (not the native/onboard ADAT ports) are limited to 48kz. That means you'll 1/2 the input capability above 48k. What that boils down to is, 8 x 96k is available without the expansion cards, and additional 4x96kz per card beyond that.
No. ADAT cards cannot handle sample rates >48k at all. This is because they were originally designed for SX1 (which couldn't do >48k). Onboard ADAT can go up to 96k (4 channels at >48k).

The behringer X32 has scribble scripts... But alot of issues still.

The new Allen & Heath digital console is very affordable and can record to an usb stick. But don't forget those units WILL have a lot of issues.

The Phonic console is probably the one with the most tested out hardware but I do not think it can host an external harddrive.

At this point in time all those new mixers will not offer the amount of integration with a DAW the current Yamaha and Tascam mixers will.

Offcourse those products and their development teams will move forward. But none of these teams are able to make use of USB3 or thunderbolt and thus take advantage of all the dsp at lets say 32 samples available at connected computers... Wich is kinda what most people here would like.

With a latency of 32 samples all of the remote DSP becomes instantaniously and you no longer have to make a difference of settings per channel between tracking and mixing.

Muziekschuur
What are you thoghts on a new digital mixer from tascam?
Do you think that the dm 4800 is being discontinued as Gravity Jim stated in one of his post?

No. ADAT cards cannot handle sample rates >48k at all. This is because they were originally designed for SX1 (which couldn't do >48k). Onboard ADAT can go up to 96k (4 channels at >48k)

It's been so long since I've used ADAT (my previous rig depended on it), I'd forgotten all that. At least I got SOME of it right, though. :D

CaptDan

New threads

Members online

No members online now.