New DP-32SD coming from Zoom HD16

Scott O'Donnell

Gear owned
Tascam dp-32SD
Hi. I'm brand new to your forum and exited to be here. I have been looking to replace/upgrade from my previous recorder, a Zoom HD16. I had the Zoom for about 10 years and it was starting to show the odd sign of problems to come. As a hard drive device, it was a matter of time before it fails.

So about 3 weeks ago I started my research on a replacement. The multitrack route still seemed like the best fit for me and the Tascam dp-32SD looked like the best out there. I see zoom and tascam both have mixer/recorder hybrids coming out late this year but they still didn't seem to be the best fit for me.

So happy was i to find a barely used dp-32SD in my area. Got it home and starting the process of learning the unit. The Zoom had a very steep learning curve and so far this machine seems much easier.

A few notes and differences so far:
- no tap temp for the metronome. Zoom has a great drum/bass/metronome facility that i will miss and especially tap tempo for some one challenged on bpm feel.
- fade in / fade out on tracks. I guess i can manually do this but zoom had an easy track edit facility for this.
- record lead in time. Not sure it thos is the proper name for this but with the zoom i could set 4 bars of just metronome before the recorder started. Very handy for a guy who does this alone (gave me time to run fro recording desk to drum throne.)
- insert presets. Zoom had a yon of them but tascam has none. Not sure if this os better or worse. Maybe this will force me to learn more about the actual settings.

This might sound like I'm complaining about the Tascam but i really do feel it is an upgrade for me. The "no moving parts" aspect is huge and the big increase in number of tracks is awesome. The LED screen and keys layout is miles ahead of the 1 line of 12 or so characters on the zoom screen.

So, because I'm a newbie, any help you might have with addressing the differences above would be much appreciated. I look forward to adding to the forum in kind.

scotto

I recently purchased the Tascam DP 24 SD. I am impressed with the concept and design of the device. And Phil Tipping's 12 video tutorial series is the icing on the cake.

But the 2 things that originally put me off was...

1. The track faders dont have individual meter displays. The Master Out is what Ive ended up using.

2. NO MIDI SUPPORT! Man dont get me started on this one. Almost all multitrack vendors no longer have midi capabilities in their products. Thank god I found Phil's tutorial on a great work around.

After owning it for about a month, I feel that its a great tool that Im going to have a lot of fun using.

It seems that the only way to get preroll is in auto punch mode.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.