New firmware update available for dp24sd and dp32sd

Anyone else noticed any glitches since updating the firmware? I had a disc error when I went to record. (This was a card I had full-formatted before the update). Did a quick format and then created/saved several songs OK.

I also later had an export fail which locked the machine for a couple of minutes after the 'export error' message. When it unlocked, I loaded a different song which exported fine, reloaded the first and exported without a problem.

I had a hiccup - disc error when I was saving a recording. I think I may have rewound before recorder was finished saving the file. It locked up the machine and was acting very weird, recycling a very small portion of the song playback. Could not stop it would not respond to any commands. Ended up having to pull the power cord to shut down the machine. Rebooted, recorded the song again and all was good then. Like I said I think it was user error, premature rewindulation!

Reactions: Phil Tipping
In light of these problems that arrived with this most recent firmware update, I will definitely skip the update on my DP24SD. Leaving good enough alone is starting to look like a good idea. It works out of the box, so I won't attempt to "fix" it by installing this update that is proving problematic for some users.

After going to the latest firmware upgrade for the DP-24 (1.18) I've also experienced several "File Error" or "Card Error" messages during recording or mixdown. These errors occurred using the same Sandisk Extreme 32GB 45 MB/s SD card that I had been using successfully, so the only observable change was the firmware upgrade.

I reverted to the prior DP-24 firmware (1.15) and the file/card errors stopped.

Last edited:
Reactions: David Porter
This is significant. I also experienced a "File Error" last night while simply capturing audio from a cassette tape. Brand new empty *proven* SD card.

Now I'm wondering how best to notify Teac/Tascam. They should be made aware of this.

I'll also be reverting back for now.

FWIW.... I did call and report this possible glitch to Tascam support this morning. The guy there said that he had not heard of this problem up to now and of course suggested reformatting my card or trying a different card.

I think I'm going to roll mine back. I've had a few errors since updating with a card that had worked fine before*, and that I've reformatted since too. Most of the way I use the unit is to capture one-off performances so I want it to be reliable!

I was running 1.15 before the 1.18 update, which was stable. The Tascam site linked above only has 1.18 and 1.16 available, but 1.15 and other earlier firmware versions are here: https://www.tascam.eu/en/downloads/archive/DP-24

*I had one record error a while back, which I think was because I was pausing/restarting recording too much resulting in ?overly fragmented files. Reformatting the card and recording multiple songs, rather than one long one with multiple stops, seemed to sort that out.

Reactions: David Porter
I just updated. I went from V1.03 to V1.05. I'm looking at Tascam website>downloads for 32SD and I don't see a firmware upgrade for V1.04 although the release notes for V1.05 show maintenance items V1.04 - operation stability has been improved - same wordage for V1.05 so I'm guessing .04 & .05 are all inclusive in the .05 download.

I believe this to be correct. So, as far as I can tell, to revert back to the most previous version before DP-32SD 1.05... 1.03 should be the one. Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Past experience suggests that file or card errors using the latest (April 2018) firmware upgrade could be SD card specific.

It might be helpful for those who have had issues to post the SD card involved. In my case it's a Sandisk Extreme 32GB 45 MB/s HC I Class 10 UHS 1.

Last edited:
Good call Mark.

Because as I mentioned in not very good detail... my file error issue happened with a brand new SD card that I have never used before. It might be worth noting that when I had the file error it also locked up the machine and I had to unplug the power source to get out of that.

I was recording 2 track stereo file data from an old cassette player being fed into the DP. I took one file capture that was about 230MB. Stopped and took another one that was about a 130MB. And then on the third one I received the file error when it had gotten about 8 to 10MB into recording and then just locked up on me and displayed: File Error

I think just for experimentation sake I'm going to go back to the newest firmware... reformat this card from scratch and try again with a project that is not very important. I will report back any problems.

The card:

Lexar Platinum II
32 GB SDHC
300x
45MB/s
Class 10

Last edited:
Well, I reverted to 1.15 (DP24)... and hit a 'file error' (plus one other similar message) when I was auto-punching several takes.
However, I don't think I'd remembered to reformat the card after downgrading the firmware from 1.18. Did so and it's been fine since (with lots of auto-punching takes).
I'm using a card that I've used for the last couple of years (entirely without problems until lately):

SanDisk 32GB SDHC, marked 'I', '4'.

I guess that the 1.18 (or equivalent updates for the other machines in the range) might just be choosier about cards? If so, will be good to find out what to use.

Last edited:
After the newest firmware update. 4 songs has crashed. All data lost. Can I downgrade?

Sorry to hear that. Did you lose the data for 4 songs altogether, or hit record errors (losing the must recent recording pass)?

You can downgrade, just get the appropriate firmware from the Tascam site and follow the instructions.

I'd reformat the SD card once you've changed the firmware. There's some suspicion that it could be a compatibility issue.

Last edited:
Hiya, Quick question about firmware updates. I just picked up the 24SD. I haven't checked which version it's running (not at home at the moment to look) but, if I'm more than one version behind, can I just update to the latest firmware version or should I step up to each one until I get to the latest version?
Thanks!

You can simply load the latest version and you're good to go.

Reactions: BobC
Be sure to re-format your SD card AFTER you upgrade to the latest firmware.;):)

Reactions: BobC
Thank you, again. I did pick pick that up reading through this thread but, thanks for the reminder!

New threads

Members online

No members online now.