New Mac OS compatibilty?

Jeff

From
Pennsylvania
Website
www.dbment.com
Gear owned
TascamDm4800
Does anyone know if we're compatible with the new Mac OS?

Appears the discussion of Mac OS compatibility is taking place here:
http://www.tascamforums.com/threads/if-fw-dmmkii-beta-drivers-for-dm3200-dm4800.2315/

Drivers definitely work with El Capitan. If you taking about Sierra 10.12, I'm not seeing anything here yet. @AudioWave may be able to shed some light as I believe he beta tests Mac/Windows OS's and applications for a living. Try sending him a private message as it shows he hasn't visited here in the last 4 months.

It would be nice if we had a Mac user create a thread which can be made into a sticky similar to what I did with Windows 10.

Thank you for the reply, Yes I was referring to Sierra.
I will reach out to @AudioWave , and I'll post my results.
Thanks again.

Anybody successfully using High Sierra with any Tascam product?

Anybody using a US 20x20 successfully in High Sierra? Please share the details of how you got it to work. Much obliged.

Thinking about going from PC Windows 10 to Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan. Pros/Cons any advice

Why are you considering that move? Important to know for any advice.

As a Windows user, one of the big pros of it IMO is that old software (and many drivers) keep working after several (sometimes big) OS updates. With the PC I started with as Win7 - now Win10 - I'm still able to use my old Midisport MIDI interface (from 2005) and even an E-Mu 0404 audio interface. Both hardware from the Win XP era (and before). I have no Mac experience, but considering many posts in this forum, the experiences with OS changes are not as troublefree, to put it mildly.

Reactions: cmaffia
I was wondering on the pros's and con's in using a MAC. I'm still on the PC platform using Win7 [I mistakenly said 10 -sorry]. Somehow my DM 3200 drivers gotten corrupted and now I'm getting the blue screen of death when I open Pro Tools 10 - than frustration set in. I also noticed i was getting CPU usages messages and the recording /playback just stops. These problems I have never encountered So now I have to find drivers for the DM. So I was just wondering if it's more stable. I see the beta ones on this forum, can I use those or do I have use the ones that came with the device and than run the beta version.

@BigEasy504 FYI. I too am using a DM-3200 alongside an older HP xw8200 PC running Windows XP (4G Ram). I haven't experienced any of the issues that you describe in your post. Stability is rock solid. Why don't you reinstall your O/S from scratch. You should have no problems locating the appropriate drivers. Good luck!

Peter Batah are you meaning the Tascam drivers or Win7

@BigEasy504 If you feel that your OS has become unstable then I would definitely consider a reinstall of Windows 7 followed by the appropriate Tascam drivers. You might also consider performing a Windows System Restore to an earlier more stable state beforehand.

Let me advocate a little for the Mac here. :)
Coming from Windows to the Mac in 2009, I never had any trouble with audio and audio software on the Mac. I can assure you this was very different on Windows. For starters, the latency was always horrible, and it didn't matter what hardware and drivers I used.
Most every hardware (USB, firewire, MIDI, and whatever) was working with class-compliant drivers on the Mac. This meant that until I used the Tascam, I never had to install ANY driver whatsoever. Even now, with all sorts of beta drivers for the firewire card and the firmware for the DM AND under High Sierra, everything worked straight away. Perhaps I'm lucky.

But of course, doing a reinstall of Windows is a LOT cheaper. :) So I would definitely try that first.

Reactions: BigEasy504
I have been experiencing latency, so I'm going to uninstall/reinstall my OS. @Marvel if was to go the MAC route any suggestions on what shall it come with. I have 2 monitors, along with the DM3200 fire wire i have other devices that uses fire wire along with various USB devices, so what kind of MAC would accommodate this

You could do fine with a 27 inch iMac, which I what am using. My 2012 model is still working smoothly, and I bet you can pick one up very affordable second hand.

This model has two Thunderbolt 2 ports which carry also displayport/DVI signals, as well as firewire. You could hook up a second display, as I did, using a Mini Displayport to almost any other connector (DVI, Displayplort or even HDMI) and use the second port to attach firewire, with another adapter cable. If you need more firewire ports, I am quite certain there are hubs, splitters or whatever. USB should be the least of your problems, the iMac has 4 ports, and you could always hook up a cheap powered hub.

If you want to use both of your monitors, you could look at the Mac Mini, which has almost the same connecters. You can attach two monitors by using a Mini Displayport to Dual Link DVI adapter. This saves the second Thunderbolt port for your Firewire.

My setup is this:
27"iMac (3.0GHz i7, 16GB RAM, Fusion drive - which is a small SSD combined with a large HDD) with one Thunderbolt/displayport connected to an external hard drive, daisychained to my second display (a Dell 27"monitor). My DM is connected to the second Thunderbolt connection in the iMac, with a Firewire 400 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter cable. Various MIDI-devices are connected to USB-ports, either directly or through a MIDI-USB-adapter.
Hope this helps. Any Mac user here feel free add your experience.

Marcel

Reactions: Peter Batah
I have uninstalled/reinstalled my OS [Win7] and all the bugs I was experiencing I have no more. I have loaded the beta drivers for the Tascam DM 3200. Remote is working on channels 1-8 but 9-16 it's not don't know how that happened [I was wondering if I needed a new USB cable for DM to my computer]. But for some reason audio is not making it to the DM from Pro Tools, I never touched any of the physical connections [Speakers going into the Big Knob and the Main Outs and Control Room outs going into the Big Knob but prior to my problem I can hear out of the speakers/sub fine] I see the meters moving in PT-10 but it's not making it to the DM. I don't know if something is not set right. the attachments indicates the routing input/output and the peripherals in Pro Tools

Attachments

• Device Mgr.PNG
    Device Mgr.PNG
    33 KB · Views: 17
  • Routing Input.png
    Routing Input.png
    9.3 KB · Views: 17
  • Routing Output.png
    Routing Output.png
    6 KB · Views: 13
  • Routing Output Slot.png
    Routing Output Slot.png
    6.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Routing Insert.png
    Routing Insert.png
    5.5 KB · Views: 16
  • peripherals machine control.PNG
    peripherals machine control.PNG
    11.3 KB · Views: 14
  • peripherals synch.PNG
    peripherals synch.PNG
    8.1 KB · Views: 13
  • peripherals Midi Controllers.PNG
    peripherals Midi Controllers.PNG
    14.1 KB · Views: 11
On your Routing Input screen, channels 1-16 are having M/L 1-16 as their source. If you expect the ProTools tracks to sound from these channels, change (Source Invert per 8) the input to SLOT1-1 through SLOT1-16.

I will make the change when I get home for work but the remote on half the channels what could have caused that

Well, I don't know Protools, but did you add two Mackie Controls for the remote function? There should be one on MIDI Port 5 and one on MIDI Port 6.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.