New master file not overwriting

Jack Pribek

Gear owned
dp-24 sd
I have been using the DP-24 for around a year and have completed a good number of songs. My process is to transfer a copy of the master file, from the SD card to my laptop. Then, I will listen to the file on various systems etc. Many times I decide to do another mix so, I go through the mixing/mastering procedure again on the machine then, transfer the file again to the laptop. I've done this many times but on my last two projects, for some reason, the new master is not replacing the old one after the transfer.
Has anyone run across this problem?

No. As long as I press record, it records a new mixdown file. There may be an issue with copying the file.

Reactions: Mark Richards
What mjk said. Is the SD card's write protection lock on?

Reactions: -mjk-
  • I was able to produce a new master file after getting rid of the "Unused Audio". I don't know why. Perhaps it has to do with the size of the song file? Both of the projects on which this happened were fairly large (over 1100 MB)...

No connection whatsoever between the 2.

The first thing is to play back the mixdown file in Mastering mode to make absolutely sure there is a mixdown file (in other words, you actually pressed record - it happens). If you hear the mix you just did, then proceed to copy it. If you hear the previous mixdown, then the mixdown you just did was not recorded.

Thanks mjk. I did that procedure 3 times before I tried deleting the unused audio.
step 1: recorded a mix in mixdown mode.
2: played back and applied multi-band compression in mastering mode and recorded again
3: applied normalization.
4: exited mastering mode and shut down, pulled the SD card
5: loaded the .wav file on the laptop and it was the previous mix/master, like I said, 3 times
When I deleted unused audio before all of these steps on the 4th try, the .wav was the new mix/master.

Best to you

Jack, the procedure above would seem to indicate that the mixdown file was Mastered properly and saved to the machine on the SD card. While in Mastering mode, if you can hear the mixdown file with the Mastering effects while playing it back in Mastering mode, then everything is good up to that point (it's important to turn the Mastering compression and EQ off when playing back a mastered file in order to not double process it during playback).

If as you say, you "loaded" (copied) it onto the laptop, and it is not the just completed mixdown session, then the issue is copying from the SD card to the laptop. Changing song parameters, deleting unused portions of the song data or anything else related to the song after you already have a mixdown file, will not affect the mixdown file. The issue is, somehow the file is not being properly copied from the SD card to the laptop. The most likely explanation for this, is not closing the file browser before closing the USB connection. In your case, you physically remove the card and place it in a card reader on the notebook. In that case, it sounds like the card isn't being properly ejected and the files closed, before removal.

@Jack Pribek sure thing. We've all done that a time or few.

Questions not asked/answered yet:
Is the SD card on the TASCSAM approved list?
Size of SD card?
Free space on SD Card?

Also, If the SD card isn't on the approved list, the safest way to interface with a computer is by using the DP-xx USB port.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.