New owner/user

English Billy1

Gear owned
mx-2424
Hi all, I just bought an MX 2424 off of CL- I don't even want to tell you how little I paid for it and it's fully loaded with the analog and digital cards, and what appears to be a large hdd*. I am putting together my dream hybrid studio and I'm super-excited to get hold of the MX as I can now mix down to my Soundcraft Spirit Studio inline console using up to 23 tape channels (one is dud on the Spirit for now). I found a working iMac G5 for a few bucks which has a nice small footprint to run mxView, which I gather is supported.. I have read a few threads already on this forum as the mx is almost... how should I say.. exotic.. after boring daws!!! I'm hooking everything up and hopefully it'll be pain-free but I will return to the forum regularily for tips etc.. Future plans include adding a 1/2" two track for mastering and some large old school mains.. fancy Urei 809s actually as they are affordable on my small budget!
* 703 rec disk available time is listed as just under 14 hours at cd quality. It states 790 no scsi IDs mounted though so is the main rec disk not scsi? It arms and records silence ok I think!!
Cheers... ;)

Last edited:
Welcome to the MX world :)

14 hours is dependent on the number of tracks selected at the time, if you have only 1 track selected it will work out the amount of time one track can be recorded, also the sample rate selected changes the time available as well. The 790 no ID's is a bit of a worry, if you are recording it should show at least 1 drive, are you sure it is no showing as ID "0" ?

They could have put in a SCSI to SATA conversion and are running a SATA drive? Pull the lid and have a look at the connections.

Alan.

Hi Alan, thanks for your input: a big help already!! Yes 790 states scsi ID 0 (with no apostrophies) and I guess that "0" is Timeline's id for drive '1'! Without removing the lid I can guess it has a single scsi mounted.. And.. as you tell me: when I look at disk time and arm tracks it shrinks in real time to 29 minutes and change for all 24 tracks!! No worries tho - it all seems as it should be and no red fault lights or msgs so far.. Now if the analog i/o is all good too I'm golden.
Alan - any advice for cheaply increasing recording time/drive size? Remember I'm in the US and a tight bugger!! :rolleyes: Scsi internal probably best?

It is a 0, I just had quotation marks meaning you should see a 0. 0 is the default SCSI ID when you have not given the drive a diffent ID number, IDs are allocated by bridging pins in the drive it self.

If you search the forums you will see how I like to have my drives in an external case as this keeps the heat down in the mx and takes the heavy load off the mx power supply. You can buy second hand drives very cheap some work some don't but if they are cheap I don't care, you need to make sure they are 68 pin, 18 and 36 gig are my favourite sizes. There are also many drive cases around the place too.

Alan

New threads

Members online

No members online now.