New Tascam Model 24: Reactions?

it’s pretty much what I need before going full analog and buy a standalone sampler and an API The Box.

You are planning on spending that kind of money on an analog system with no automation?

Last edited:
Reactions: Clemente Cusato
I'm now regularly doing 18 to 24+ track projects with
Model 24 for Live and DP 24 for Mix and Mastering. No computer needed.

For those folks who don't want to use a computer, I can vouch for the fact that one is not needed, until time comes to transfer files.

I know there are some folks on this forum who prefer to use a computer, but for those that don't
Tascam Model 24 + DP 24/32 is a complete no nonsense stage-to-studio solution.

Reactions: Dan On Drums
So far things are going pretty well with the unit.
I'm using it for a lot of different things and do find it buggy though when I'm interfacing with my PC.
Specifically it seems the SUB and AUX outputs kind of fall asleep sometimes. When I turn the unit off and back on everything kicks back on and acts as it should. At first I thought I was just really stupid and didn't understand a mixer, but then I simply started to power the unit off and then back on and magically all would work as I had originally thought it should.

The lack of direct support from TEAC/Tascam is disappointing. There's no way for them to quickly get control of the bugs if they are relying on dealer feedback. I also think the accompanying software (Mixer Settings Panel) is incredibly limited as it has just a single setting option for buffer size. It would be nice to have some control over the individual channels and how they're routed to the PC.

I have noticed there is a new version so I'm updating my firmware from 1.31 to 1.32 and hope that helps.

But, the good:
Records nicely on to SD card or directly to a DAW (Ableton Live).
It's a nice unit for a semi-professional musician who would like to create their own demos (for booking gigs) and/or for songwriters to capture their musical ideas quickly with a decent sound.

Last edited:
I know I’m not in the right threat by asking this, but does someone know which take does the Model 24 record the automations on?

The Model 24 has no automation, or control interface functionally. It's an analog mixer with a USB interface and SD recorder.

Can't seem to find an affirmative answer about this. Can you mix down to stereo L/R using only the model 24? (with internal SD card? No computer) So, that in the end, you only have to upload a stereo track to computer for burning?

I get that you can record many tracks AND use all the DAW control surface schenanigans, AND use all the effects and knobs and everything while tracking, or mixing from a DAW blah blah blah. BUT can you do a mix without a DAW? i.e. just summing 22 tracks through the analog board, down to 2 without using the computer?

You can mix to the SD card. However, stupidly, you have to sacrifice 2 tracks to mix down to. So, while it will record and play back 24 tracks, unless you use an external recorder for the mixdown, you have to sacrifice those 2 tracks for the mixdown, making it a 22 track multitrack mixdown and not even 24 tracks like we had in the early 70s. I just don't get what they were thinking. It appears as if Tascam designed the Model 24 to rely on using a DAW for the heavy lifting. The more we hear about it, it seems the Model 24 is a poor man's Behringer X32.

Oh, btw, there are no control surface anythings on the Model 24. It is an analog console with a big USB interface with no MIDI or any other control protocols.

IMO, perhaps the best way to use this rather strange product would be to record 24 tracks of a band, then export the tracks to a DAW. Then use the console to mix those tracks to a stereo track in the DAW. But I certainly understand someone not wanting to use a DAW. My other suggestion is a DP-32SD. 8 more tracks and designed for overdubbing, mixing and mastering without a computer.

Last edited:
Can't seem to find an affirmative answer about this. Can you mix down to stereo L/R using only the model 24? (with internal SD card? No computer) So, that in the end, you only have to upload a stereo track to computer for burning?

I get that you can record many tracks AND use all the DAW control surface schenanigans, AND use all the effects and knobs and everything while tracking, or mixing from a DAW blah blah blah. BUT can you do a mix without a DAW? i.e. just summing 22 tracks through the analog board, down to 2 without using the computer?

Yeah, I do this with no problem and the sound quality is honestly pretty good. It's definitely a quirky machine but it suits my purposes very well.

In this forum, I originally said (among other things) the following:

I can get tracks on the DP-32 that rival anything I did back in the US when I was producing. But, I have no intention of mixinganything on the DP-32. I'm going to get my tunes mixed in a real mixing room on a proper desk with actual effects and not digital recreations of them.

So, I'm only cutting tracks and not mixing, or mastering. The DP-32 is very fast, clean and reliable, even more than those 2" tape machines. It's perfect for what I'm doing.

In the interest of transparency, I need to come clean about the fact that I have modified my viewpoints and opinions, based on comments by other forum users and in particular @cmaffia who made some strong points that compelled me to expend considerable time and energy on research. I also feel it proper to place this post in the same forum in which it was originally said (but I will move it somewhere else if suggested).

I decided that the best thing for me to do is to mix my own music since I have extensive experience doing so in the past, professionally. By simply considering the economics of paying someone else to mix an entire album, I realized I could buy a console that would allow me to do my own mixing. I settled on the Behringer X32 partly because of the work done by Dr. Patrick-Gilles Maillot with OSC protocol utilities he created for the M/X32 series. I contacted Dr. Maillot about producing a professional level automation system for that series of consoles. He agreed to do it, and for the last three months I've had the privilege of testing various iterations of this tool, and all I can tell you is that it is better than any console mixing automation system I ever worked on in any major studio, anywhere. He will be releasing details shortly.

If it wasn't for the insightful interaction with other formum members that I've enjoyed, I may never have gone so far down this avenue of approach as I have. The results of using this console with the automation tool have been astonishing.

I wish to extend my personal thanks to everyone who has expressed their opinions in this thread. The Tascam forums are perhaps the best technical forums in existence (in the English speaking universe). The level of courtesy, camaraderie, and respect found here are unparalleled. It is a privilege to be here.

So, yes, by all means, experience the joys of mixing on a console over a mouse/keyboard! The Model 24 is making that possible for many without breaking the bank.

New threads

Members online