New version of Logic 10.4

Tachoir

Gear owned
DM4800
Here is the dilemma, I want to run the new version of Logic 10.4. It requires Mac OS 10.12 (Sierra) or higher. I'm currently running Mac OS 10.11.6 - El Capitan.
I'm seeing that people are running Sierra and their DM's are running fine.
So, I want to slowly upgrade to Sierra - However, It is not available from the App Store. The only upgrade option is High Sierra - And I'm seeing that as an issue. Not sure if anyone is using this with their DM4800.
Apple shows all the previous versions of the OS - Mavericks - El Capitan, but the Sierra OS is not available.
Question - 1. Where can I get Sierra and 2. Is anyone having any luck with High Sierra and the DM4800 with the IFFWDmkII Firewire card?

I'm not sure that there is a benefit to "slowly" upgrading to Sierra.
Just do a complete clone of your boot drive and perform the High Sierra update on the clone.
Boot from that and see where you are at.
In my case, a few older apps were no longer supported and I did some work to find replacements.
The good news, at least in my case, is that the DM4800 and IFFWDmkII are working well in High Sierra. I'm also experiencing more reliable USB connectivity.
Wishing you an easy transition.

Oh yeah, Logic 10.4 works fine with the DM4800...
That said, I think we might want to wait for Logic 10.4.3... some rough edges still.

My experience is the same as @waterstrum's. High Sierra works fine, as does Logic 10.4. I have to say that I never used the DM on an older system. I only got it a couple of weeks ago, and I had High Sierra already installed before installing the drivers and connecting the DM.

I'm not sure that there is a benefit to "slowly" upgrading to Sierra.
Just do a complete clone of your boot drive and perform the High Sierra update on the clone.
Boot from that and see where you are at.
In my case, a few older apps were no longer supported and I did some work to find replacements.
The good news, at least in my case, is that the DM4800 and IFFWDmkII are working well in High Sierra. I'm also experiencing more reliable USB connectivity.
Wishing you an easy transition.

I just meant that I wanted to try regular Sierra before even thinking of moving to High Sierra. One step at a time. All seems to be working as expected with the new Logic 10.4.

Hello there all, first post as I just bought me a DM-4800 yesterday! :)

I Only did a quick 5 min test using an early 2013 retina MacBook Pro with Sierra 10.12.6 and Logic 10.4 - all worked fine, (MKII FW card in slot 3 to thunderbolt adapter and USB?MIDI connection )

Will be doing more extensive tests later today hopefully with a 5.1 Mac Pro on Sierra too.

As to the question about Sierra, I have been reading the thread on the GearSlutz DAW forums regarding 10.4 and Sierra and found the following link:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT208202

This links to an apple support page that in turn links to the App Store and Sierra download. It even has a link to the physical snow leopard disk you can buy from apple for $19.99 for older Macs.

Here is the thread (hope cross posting to another forum is OK!)

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/app...logic-pro10-4-release-just-hit-app-store.html

Also in that thread is a link to an external project to update older Macs that aren't officially supported by apple - I can't vouch for this as all my Macs support Sierra but I am passing it on in case it is useful to anyone. Hope it doesn't cause anyone problems! use it wisely people. There are some known issues in the description.

http://dosdude1.com/sierrapatch.html

Any more questions just ask, I will answer if I can.

Cheers

Reactions: Marvel
Hello,

Anyone can help? I can’t found the drivers for a Tascam Dm4800 with if-fw/mkii.

I have a mac with sierra and Logic Pro, the latest version.

Please Help!

@getce & @Marvel I got the version 188754_Release from the following link I got from the same thread Marvel posted. I just wanted the most up to date ones I could get:
from
Beta drivers are available here: FOR OSX
MAVERICKS
https://dev.tascam-parc.com/parc_beta/

Username : iffwdm
Password : firefly

This has worked stably on my MacBook Pro Retina 2013 in the couple of hrs I tested it. Have a 2012 Mac Pro to put it on properly but that won't be for a couple of weeks yet.

Hope this helps,

Dan

Yep, that's the one I am using.

Just a heads up for all DM users and Logic Pro X. Version 10.4.1 just launched and is working fine, same as 10.4 for me.

Reactions: Gerk
Reviving this thread to confirm recent success in updating my 2012 Mac mini to High Sierra, modernizing from Logic Pro 9 to X, and updating TMC, firmware drivers, and audio drivers.

Updating TMC, the mixer, and FW went without a hitch, as did the auto-recognition of I/O connectivity between the FW card and Logic Pro X.

When updating the OS, Apple only showed High Sierra, so I started downloading it. Apple must have recognized that I was on an older OS, because it stopped that download, and automatically switched to Sierra. This allowed me to install Sierra first, then I was able to update to High Sierra.

Everything is working great with FW connectivity - recording 17 channels of drums simultaneously at 44.1kHz, 24bit in Logic Pro X, no problem.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.