Newbie DP-24SD reverb send effect question

Al Smitherman

Gear owned
DP01FX, DP02CF, X26,DP24S
On my old DP-01fx I could turn on the internal reverb and add it to an input for playback or mixing down the master. I'm a bit confused about how I can go about this on the DP-24SD. Can this be done with the internal reverb effect or do I need an external effects unit to accomplish via the external send?
Excuse my lack of understanding on this. If someone could explain it simply, I would be greatful!

Thanks in advance!

Hi Al, video 11 may be overly complex for what you're asking, but I'm not sure what you mean by "add it to an input for playback". If you mean to add reverb to a track while it's playing, just use the internal send effect as shown in video 5. The reverb will be heard but not recorded.
If you do the same during a mixdown, the reverb will be recorded to the mix/master file.
If you really want to add and record reverb while you are recording, then see video 11 as per mj's suggestion.

Reactions: Al Smitherman
Thanks -mjk- I've started watching those tutorials!. Phil, yes, that's what I'm talking about. The DP-01fx, you could turn on and assign the internal reverb effect to an input (A or B), then you could hear that on the tracks that were assigned those inputs on playback and could be recorded when mixing down to the master file. Yep. that's what I'm looking for. I'll check on video 5. I'm on 3 now! thanks so much! BTW, love the video tutorials so far. Much higher learning curve on this than the older portastudios!

"Much higher learning curve on this than the older portastudios"

But when considering these DP's stand alone power and capability... watching the videos and gaining an understanding of functionality and procedure from a block diagram "signal flow" point of view - clarity on many things is just one video away. This is the cleverness of Phil's approach to the tutorials. And once you start to get a pretty good grasp... the block diagram becomes a "cheat sheet". Or maybe "reference" sheet is a better way to put it. You can see signal flow... and this helps many of the functions to be more intuitive. I have said this before here: I often have to step away from the machine for weeks - or even months at times. But when I dig back in and something seems fuzzy to me - I simply pull up the block diagram and things become clear to me again by seeing signal flow.:)

Last edited:
You are so right David. I remember being told to refer to those diagrams years ago when working with some large mixers. Just didn't occur to me to do so with this. That being said, I was looking through the manual for my old 4 track and there was the block diagram for it as well. Don't recall ever needing it back then but I sure need it now! Cheers!

Last edited:
Hi Al, video 11 may be overly complex for what you're asking, but I'm not sure what you mean by "add it to an input for playback". If you mean to add reverb to a track while it's playing, just use the internal send effect as shown in video 5. The reverb will be heard but not recorded.
If you do the same during a mixdown, the reverb will be recorded to the mix/master file.
If you really want to add and record reverb while you are recording, then see video 11 as per mj's suggestion.

Phil,

The most clear example of what I was looking for was in your video number 6A around 21:35. Spot on as to what I needed! Can't wait to finish all your videos and leverage the most out of this piece of kit!

Cheers!

Those videos are a must!

New threads

Members online