Newbie (sort of!) needs firmware bug update help

U rock, Dan... I really appreciate the time you and the others have spent helping! On it now!

K getting closer. I found this: Bome Software-Bome's MIDI port-01
in DEVICES (and same for midi 2 and 3 channels)
I THINK this might be something related to maybe an iphone software program or something (I don't have any apple/mac/iphone stuff on this studio-only computer...)
MAYBE it is something that the PC Audiolabs folks put on or BONJOUR or something... but regardless, it seems either iphone, app or midi music related (BOME SOFTWARE)
SO I disabled MIDI port-1 and rebooted = no difference ... but before I go hunting to uninstall things that might be related to it, any ideas??? It seems I am close now.

k took a chance and uninstalled the BOME stuff... rebooted pc and console... same prob:

TMC starts update, console sees incoming system update as proper new version 1.70, but when TMC requests version from the console, it hangs at 5% progress and then says PROTOCOL TIMED OUT.

Same as always, dang it!!!!!!

I also tried to use TMC to update console from my new SOny laptop too... same exact issue! DANG! :)

"TMC requests version from the console, it hangs at 5% progress and then says PROTOCOL TIMED OUT."

That sounds like TMC is having difficulty establishing communication with the DM. Have you checked the USB cables to/from your DM and to/from PC? Are the connections solid? Are the cables and connectors good?

At this point, it might be a good idea to try a new USB cable into the DM.

Also, there are several dozen steps to optimizing a PC for audio-only use. Avid/ProTools published an instruction set for that purpose, (go to Avid.com and search) and they apply to virtually all DAWs as well. It might be a good idea to ensure there isn't some damn 'background task' or Windoze-ordained process going on behind the scenes. They can do all manner of chaos.

Just a thought, because I'm running dry. :)

CaptDan

Reactions: HappyMetalHead
hehe... tried 2 different computers and cables. it cant be both my studio DAW AND laptop ...

hmmm just noticed something... in mycubase, it shows, for midi ins and midi outs available):
WINDOWS MIDI OUT Tascam 4800
WINDOWS MIDIOUT 2 (Tascam 4800)
WINDOWS MIDIOUT 3 (Tascam 4800)
WINDOWS MIDIOUT 4 (Tascam 4800)
WINDOWS MIDIOUT 5 (Tascam 4800)
WINDOWS MIDIOUT 6 (Tascam 4800)
WINDOWS MIDIOUT 7 (Tascam 4800)

but no midi out 8
&
I assumed that midiout 1 is the first one above...
Isnt that weird that there is no 1 or 8 labeled by windows?

I really wish Tascam would have answered back.. if these consoles are still for sale/order/new (as I just bought mine new!), shouldn't they at least answer back to their customer requests for help?
They would know the simple answer to this right away, I bet!

the midi OUT of the midi channel 1 (Tascam-4800) is showing INACTIVE
Your assumption here is wrong: Cubase always names an input or output 'inactive' if it has no function within Cubase. If for instance you remove one of your IFFW channels from the VST Connection inputs, it will immediately show as 'inactive' in the Device Setup dialog. So while Cubase has no function for the Midi Ch.1 of Tascam-4800 (which in itself may be wrong or not), it has no direct bearing on the availability of this channel from the Mixer Companion..

Yup. Just figured that out. Seems to be a possibility that ms gwave table (or something like that) is to blame but tried everything from disabling win audio service to un checking exclusivity on the audio devices etc.
Can get the update started from TMC and the console sees it and the correct version starting up... But can't get past tmc requesting the current 4800 version... Then it protocol times out at 5%.. Fascism tech person would know the answer, dang it!!!!

Sometimes, it takes awhile for techs to get back to customers. I know it's frustrating, but I went through similar delays with my previous rig, made by another major audio manufacturer.

In the meantime, you can delete my 'rock star' status; apparently I've struck out on this one. :)

However, I'm sure you'll get this straightened out. Not much consolation now, but very soon you WILL be laughing at this.

CaptDan

Already laughing. Love a challenge but not when I can't see the end! :)
Totally grateful to all here!

Cool!

Jeff

Hi my name is Bert and I just bought another 4800 and it's V1.60 and my old one is V1.7 want to cascade but I'm having the same isue....It gets to 5% and stops...won't let me update. Jeff how did you solve this problem? Thanks

You’ll need to install the latest firmware beta (I think 1.72b) if you’re going to cascade. Download fro. The FTP site here (see sticky).

Reactions: Darryn and Bert
Thanks but I can't even update to 1.7 won't let me gets to 5% and stops. I posted another ? just a few minutes ago hope you catch it Thx

You’ll need to install the latest firmware beta (I think 1.72b) if you’re going to cascade. Download fro. The FTP site here (see sticky).
Where can I find the link to download it?? sticky??? I've been looking for ages. Currently on 1.70 and need the newer 1.72b .. thanks so much

Reactions: Darryn
@Darryn C'mon Buddy. This is a no-brainer. I want to help you, but with all due respect, you're not making much of an effort. Remember, Google is your friend!

The file is a compressed archive. Download the utility from here:

https://www.win-rar.com/start.html?&L=0

Reactions: Darryn
@Peter Batah sorry mate, deleted it just after sending as I'm looking into some solutions first.. Appreciate the help, but this one seems to be for a windows system. I'm using High Seirra on a MacBook Pro. Will figure it out and report back. :)

Hi @Peter Batah, I managed to update it to 1.72b, thanks for the link! As far as I can tell everything is now up to date. my firewire driver is 1.30f10, my firmware is reading 1.10 # 88685 . However The firewire drivers are still reading as "offline".. The last and final step for me is to downgrade this Mac to the operating system that was on my older MacBook, and if that doesn't work I think I am well and truly screwed.. :/

New threads

Members online

No members online now.