Robbie Ferguson

From
Ontario, Canada
Website
category5.tv
Gear owned
DP-008EX, DP-24SD
Hi all,
I'm sure it's that I'm tired and worn out from all the edumacating myself - but I'm at the studio - have the board setup and getting signals all round as expected, but I plugged my Monitor Out jacks (1/4") into the computer for the livestream, and am not getting any sound out of them, even though I get sound from the RCA outputs (and presumably the headphone jack as well based on previous tests).

What did I miss? There must be a setting to say "Send the stereo mix to the Monitor Out 1/4" Ports"?

Thanks!!

Oh my goodness, where's the delete option? I just adjusted my headphone volume (Monitor Level knob) only to find that the knob controls BOTH the headphone jack and the 1/4" outputs on the back. That's nutty!

Is there any way to just let it pull the levels from the Stereo fader instead? I'd hate to adjust my headphones only to find I've affected the live viewers.

Why is it nutty for a Monitor level control to control the level of the Monitors?

You need to feed the audio to the livestream from the stereo bus, not the monitor bus. The whole point of a monitor mix, and monitor section on a console, is so you can make adjustments to what you hear without it affecting the stereo 2-mix.

Alternately, you can use one or both Send buses to feed audio.

Heh, well, yeah, I guess I could do that. My intention was not to use the monitor mix itself - just that I was hoping to use the 1/4" outputs so I don't have to have a bunch of adapters and dongles and dangly bits hanging of an RCA output, but the 1/4" outputs just happen to be the monitor mix. I can go the adapter route if required.

I don't yet understand your comment about Send buses... is there any chance you mean I can change the 1/4" outputs to instead be the stereo mix so I can use them instead of RCA? I'm sure I will understand this more when I've read the manual (which I've yet to do, beyond skimming for the key "getting started" stuff). But feel free to elaborate. I certainly do better learning from others' experience and feedback. :)

Thanks!

The DP machines have 2 sends, so labeled. Send 1 is hard wired to the internal FX but it comes out the Send 1 jack in the back. Send 2 is not hard wired and is also available out the Send 2 jack. The Send Master must be up to get any signal from either send (most users leave the master send all the way up). They may be used for any purpose that requires audio from tracks to be sent to FX internal or external, or anything else.

I recommend using the stereo bus to go to your interface for Live Streaming. You can mix with the faders and control the overall level with the Stereo fader. You're going to need that monitor mix for monitoring.

Once again, @-mjk- I must say, you are brilliant.

For last night's show, I used the stereo out to the broadcast computer, then used the monitor out for the monitors (I use a wireless headphone unit so I can monitor audio while live).

But we had an interview, so I needed to be able to play our guest's audio (a Zoom meeting) over the speakers but not hear our mics (would cause feedback). So I sent his audio to the Effects 1 Send and set the Monitor Select to Effects 1 during the interview. So of course in my headset I now could no longer monitor my own mic, but I was confident enough to trust it and could hear him perfectly out of both my headphones (for me) and on the speakers (for the others in the studio to be able to hear both sides of the interview while live). The speakers are connected to a distribution amp that powers my headphones and the studio speakers, so the mix is the same for both.

As I was setting it up and reading your message, I was feeling like there's nothing this board can't do. I'm utterly impressed.

Thanks!

Once again, @@-mjk- I must say, you are brilliant.

Nonsense, @Robbie Ferguson but thank you for the compliment! The sends can be used to set up a mix-minus for phone or Skype sources so you only send your audio to the caller and not the caller audio back to them. I have extensive broadcast experience (at one time I was the VP/Engineering of the US's 2nd largest talk radio network) and that experience is applicable to live streaming. With a good interface a DP machine can do a lot for live streaming.

There is an alternate way to set up the stereo bus for live streaming. So if you would like to hear about that, we could start another thread.

Are you kidding me?! During the interview this week the guest had trouble hearing us since we just use the laptop's built-in mic so he can hear us, even though we pull his audio from the headphone jack into the DP-24SD.

But you're saying I could loop our actual headset mics back to him so he can hear us clear as can be?! Yes, this thread sounds like the place to be! I'll create it and see what we come up with! Thanks. Obviously I'll need to come up with a USB sound card or something to gain a Line Input, but that's no problem.

Side note: Here's what my DP-24SD audio looks like when pulled into Resolve: https://twitter.com/RobbieFerguson/status/1230842065166065664

Thanks again for all your direction and advice. Spot on, every time.

Reactions: -mjk-
I'm a DaVinci Resolve guy too.

Reactions: Robbie Ferguson
I recommend a 4 channel USB audio interface, so you can select a channel from the interface to go to the guest, as well as a stereo pair for the live stream audio feed. The additional channel could be used for whatever you like.

Reactions: Robbie Ferguson
@Robbie Ferguson there are so many models out there, from many companies. For for live stream I think 24b/48k is fine (matches the DP machine). Check out Sweetwater.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.