No Sound Plug mic in, nothing Plus Screen damaged

Keith Bradley

Gear owned
Tascam DM 24
Hello! I recently bought a TASCAM DM 24 from gumtree to complete my Studio set up.
It was mentioned when I bought the mixer that the screen is faulty, as goes with many of them due to heat wearing out the lcd screen..

I power the mixer up. It goes through it's amazing start up sequence with all the faders and lights doing what the should... I then plugged in a Mic to test the mixer and nother happened, the input was not recognised, no meters showing any sound level etc.. I tried plugging in a drum machine to another line input, that too didn't make a sound.

I am wondering if the screen need to be sorted before you can access the signal input?

I have sent off for the Seemy2 VGA adaptor card, I am hoping this will get the machine working... Any thoughts?

Keith =: )

Go to the documentation section here and read the FAQ for newbies.

I have not had a great deal of experience with these digital mixers and in the one I had to deal with at Radio Studios they were ridiculously complex that even a Chief Engineer could not get sound out of them without a lot of figuring out the configuration. Unlike analog boards where you can get audio out of them in minutes Digital boards can take a lot of time to figure out. If the display screen is bad that would need to be fixed to allow you to see the settings otherwise I can not see this thing to start to work by itself. Digital might tell you that they are better than analog boards but to me they are a disaster- that is not only Tascam but ever kind I have come across even Yamaha and some of them were $20,000. They broke too.

The DM24 has two possible inputs for each channel. you can assign which inputs those two are, and which one is current online by hold down Shift and hitting I/O to get to the I/O page. You can cycle through the 4 pages where you assign various I/O there, M/L is your mic line inputs, you also have TDIF, ADAT and any other card in the slots available in groups of 8.
You really have to read the newbies FAQ in the doc section!

- W

ps make sure you have "Stereo" chosen for control room monitoring!

New threads

Members online

No members online now.