No subdivision of DP-24 SONGS

Lake Gregory

Gear owned
DP-24, DR-40, DR-05
It would seem that the DP-24 (and SD and DP-32) were not meant for recording live music in the field, as it has been noted by others here that one cannot subdivide a SONG (and mixing and mastering, say, a one hour set, would be impractical to impossible, unless levels and EQ settings never change). I thought it would be as easy as dividing songs on a DR-40 or a DR-05 by using the DP-24's mark in/out feature and copying all the tracks within that time frame and renaming them as a new song. As far as I can tell as a new user, all the editing is done on the TRACK level, not the SONG level.

But could you work around the problem by using excess storage real estate? Given a 32G SD card, has anyone tried copying a one-hour SONG (say, a live set) as many times as individual tunes are within the set (say, for five tunes, copy the entire hour recording five times, renaming the copies for each individual tune)? That way you could mark in/out, mixdown and master one tune at a time, knowing that the entire one hour SONG would be eventually be overwritten during the mastering.

Anyone tried that?

If you mean, RTFM, I have done that and find no answers. I really don't know what Stickies means.

Hi @Lake Gregory and welcome.

No, the User Manual doesn't cover many user scenarios. What @shredd is referring to, are the curated threads we've put together.

At the top of the forum are pinned threads that are called stickies, or sticky threads. you will find a wealth of information in the stickies, but basically yes, people have addressed that issue before. There is another way to accomplish what you wanna do:

You don’t have to make multiple copies in order to segregate the sections for each song, because you can simply set an in and out mark for the song that you wanna work on, do a mix down and master of that, and then use the USB connection to get that song off the SD card. then you simply move to the next song you want to mix/master and set the In-N-Out points again on that section and copy that song off the card. Rinse/repeat.

Check my signature for how to search and also the new user info.

That's useful information, thanks for explaining; your solution makes more sense than mine--I'd simply read somewhere in this forum that mastering any part of a SONG (I'm upper-casing this to use the DP's nomenclature) overwrites the entire file, regardless of how little a section you'd mastered, obliterating all before In and after Out. And thanks to @shredd for the helpful suggestion. I was not being sarcastic!

Reactions: -mjk-
Mixdown is non-destructive to the multi track recording but will overwrite the stereo mixdown file every time the mixdown is recorded. So one works on 1 section as a time as defined by the In/Out points.

Reactions: Old No7
@-mjk-
[...] you can simply set an in and out mark for the song that you wanna work on, do a mix down and master of that, and then use the USB connection to get that song off the SD card. then you simply move to the next song you want to mix/master and set the In-N-Out points again on that section and copy that song off the card. Rinse/repeat. [...]
21st century's white pencil, razor blade, sticky tape and empty reels. :)

Reactions: dctdct and -mjk-
Indeed, though it does look as if the pages-long punch list of timed fader positions and EQ settings is here to stay!

Reactions: -mjk- and Max Relic
Yeah, you're gonna need a take sheet.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.