Noise, hiss

Tyros

Gear owned
Tascamdp 24 sd
Hi guys
Was hoping someone could help me with a problem with Hiss from the MIC
Is there a way of using the noise reduction thingy in the effects screen
and if yes how would I set it please.
Its a High pitched Hiss through out the recording.
But very loud in the low volume parts of the track.
Thanks in advance .............
.............The track has been recorded
but would like to stop this from happening in the future
Tyros

Is this a hiss you hear through the headphones? In that case, it’s a characteristic of the DP24\32SD series. It increases or diminishes depending on the effects you use. I think it is related to the headphone amps. Unless you hear it through the speakers as well. Then I guess it’s a different issue.

Last edited:
Hi
You are right of course the dp24sd has a noise problem through the headphones
But this time the Hiss was introduced through the recording
I had hoped that the Hiss could be removed In the DP24sd
Looks like a job for reaper.
Thankyou for your help
Tyros

"Tyros wrote:..the dp24sd has a noise problem through the headphones..."

Headphone Noise PROBLEM?
Really?
There's only very minor headphone hiss, and I stress the words VERY MINOR, as in NEGLIGIBLE; BARELY AUDIBLE; -82 dB; easily masked; non-existent if there is any music signal at all; and NO IMPACT on the recorded signal.;)

Hiss on the Input signal?
Engage the Input Dynamic Noise Suppressor or EQ.
If that doesn't solve the problem, get a better mic or mic cable.

Hiss on the recorded track?
Engage the Track Guitar Effect Noise Suppressor or EQ.

Last edited:
Is there a way of using the noise reduction thingy in the effects screen and if yes how would I set it please.
As Mark says, you have a choice of 2 suppressors. Assuming you can't track down the cause of the hiss, the dynamics effect suppressor will help for future recordings - insert it into the input path (vid tutorial 4). Alternatively the guitar effect also has a suppressor so you can insert that into the track path either before recording or during playback (tut 7). You can use the latter (with the effect Rec/Play option set to Play) for fixing the recording you've just made - either via bouncing or during the final mixdown phase (tut 9 & 10). There is a way of using the dynamics effect after recording, but this is more complicated to set up (tut 14A).

Whichever effect you use, the suppressor works like a compressor in reverse; variations are called expanders or gates. A compressor works by lowering the volume when the signal level is high, and an expander lowers it when the level is low. Normally noise/hiss is a low level signal, so lowering the volume for low-level signals will reduce the hiss. It will also reduce other low-level signals, so as with compression, it's a compromise to get the right balance. Far better to avoid the noise in the first place :)

The threshold control sets the level at which the suppression takes place, so set it high to start with and make the effect obvious - suppression takes place when the level falls below the threshold.
The suppression control is the amount of volume reduction, so again set this high and you'll hear the sound cut off completely. As you reduce it, the cutoff won't be so pronounced.
Set the attack and release times to small values to hear the cut-off track rapid level changes. One controls how fast the suppression/cut-off kicks in; the other controls how quickly the cut-off recovers back to normal.

Best bet is to experiment with the controls during playback - set the In & Out points around a section of music containing both quiet & loud parts, engage Repeat mode and press Play. The music will continually loop while you tweak the FX controls and learn how they work. There's more info if you search the web, e.g. this article by SoundOnSound.

Note that as the guys have said, there is a small amount of hiss from the headphone amp, and this may vary depending on how sensitive your head/earphones are. If it's audible in your setup it will mask the noise suppressor effect, in which case use the monitor or stereo outputs instead - either via speakers, or an external headphone amp.

Last edited:
Hi guys
A Quick Recap on what happened to the recording and more to the point
Why it ended up with Hiss.This is not the normal state of my recordings.
A good Buddy I Hasseled to record for me suprised the wottsit out of me
When he said Yes.
I had all of 10 mins to get set and go because he was heading up country
And I would not see him for ages,so hence the hurried and botched effort
On my part Lol, In my panic to get there and set up quickly I even forgot The headphones.
There does seem On My machine to have a Hiss through the headphone s
Its been there since New....Its very high pitched and I have to turn up the Gain a lot to hear it But the HissI refer to I got from A badly set up Mic I think.

..the dp24sd has a noise problem through the headphones...
Headphone Noise PROBLEM?
Really?
There's only very minor headphone hiss, and I stress the words VERY MINOR, as in NEGLIGABLE; BARELY AUDIBLE; -82 dB; easily masked; non-existent if there is any music signal at all; and NO IMPACT on the recorded signal.

Mark Richards...Sorry Did not mean To sound as though I was putting the Tascam Down At all,A poor choice Of words...I guess I do better when I talk to people rather than TxT.
I meant No Offence To anyone On the Forum And No criticism Was Intended.

Hi eric..............
Is this a hiss you hear through the headphones? In that case, it’s a characteristic of the DP24\32SD series. It increases or diminishes depending on the effects you use. I think it is related to the headphone amps. Unless you hear it through the speakers as well. Then I guess it’s a different issue.

Yes I agree Mine Is through the headphones ,I Have Mackies For Monitoring when not using the headphones
I fined Them a bit guttless In the bass but love them all the same
And yes again I agree the Hiss can get worse or more prominent When certain Effects are Added.
This I concider Normal And so I dont get bothered about it.

Phil

Whichever effect you use, the suppressor works like a compressor in reverse; variations are called expanders or gates. A compressor works by lowering the volume when the signal level is high, and an expander lowers it when the level is low. Normally noise/hiss is a low level signal, so lowering the volume for low-level signals will reduce the hiss. It will also reduce other low-level signals, so as with compression, it's a compromise to get the right balance. Far better to avoid the noise in the first place :)

The threshold control sets the level at which the suppression takes place, so set it high to start with and make the effect obvious - suppression takes place when the level falls below the threshold.
The suppression control is the amount of volume reduction, so again set this high and you'll hear the sound cut off completely. As you reduce it, the cutoff won't be so pronounced.
Set the attack and release times to small values to hear the cut-off track rapid level changes. One controls how fast the suppression/cut-off kicks in; the other controls how quickly the cut-off recovers back to normal.

Best bet is to experiment with the controls during playback - set the In & Out points around a section of music containing both quiet & loud parts, engage Repeat mode and press Play. The music will continually loop while you tweak the FX controls and learn how they work. There's more info if you search the web, e.g. this article by SoundOnSound.

Note that as the guys have said, there is a small amount of hiss from the headphone amp, and this may vary depending on how sensitive your head/earphones are. If it's audible in your setup it will mask the noise suppressor effect, in which case use the monitor or stereo outputs instead - either via speakers, or an external headphone amp.

Wow
Thanks I had not thought of suppressors In quite the same way as you.
I watched a tutorial On Noise Reduction In the Software Reaper.
This method use,s a plugin to Sample the Hiss And build A profile of the wave
Then you can fiddle With A Slider To try to reduce Hiss whilst Keeping the Sound
You Want The Least Effected.To Be Honest Having Tried This It Makes The Spoken Voice Sound Robotic If used too intensly and Seems to my ears to Add a lot of treble.
Thats why I was hoping the Tascam Might have a different option.
I have played around with the tascam noise reduction But in truth with no real purpose
Or Need Untill Now

This I Have Printed Of Because My PC Is to far to read The Settings

I have More Time Now to have a go at this to day and now have a true start point .

An superb Idea phil and will be followed

But First I have More Reading Up to do....Printer on standby.

SoundOnSound Article

Thankyou so much Guys And have A great day.

Tyros

Yes, that other method of noise-suppression is common on DAWs as it's a digital signal processing trick. It does seem odd that Tascam chose to model the more traditional expander-like effect instead, seeing as how the signals are already digitised... maybe it's a 'portastudio thing' to keep it more like old-school hardware units? I've never had much success with the digital method either - it's very easy to overdo it and then the 'chirping birds' artefact is worse than the original hiss... and your brain seems able to ignore steady hiss more readily. But like most things, practice and learning the limitations avoid getting too frustrated with the gear :) btw - that same artefact is very similar to what you get if you use too low a bit-rate for mp3 files.
Good luck.

Hi, everyone. (hope posting at the right place)
I have really bad noise problems over here ?!?
I set everything up the way I wanted it, practiced a little, the sound was great,
I took a little brake, coffee time, came back to record and I could ear a white noise.
I thought my track 7 had something wrong wires or so
Got myself new cables, still the same ?!? ...
I read this forum, learned a little but did not help,
I loaded my ! factory reset track and unplugged everything
I still ear that noise, I checked out every tracks they all have the same white noise.
I turned the trim/ gain knob all the way up, leave all tracks down and has soon has lift up the master level then it's not only white noise it gets high enough so I can see it appear on the output lights. that was for a test, but I still ear that white noise when the trim/gain knob is at the lowest.
Everything is OFF, EQ, Dynamics, Effets everything is set on !Factory reset ?!?

So, what happened between the time I went to get a coffee ?!?
I thought maybe dust problems but I always kept it covered. (it is very clean)
Thanks anyone for any answer !?!

Thanks Shredd and Mark Richards... I did some search into the forum hopping posting at the wright place (thanks) ... I may have a ground problem, I live in a old house, and yess many things plugged into only one outlet. Thanks again. I think I found the wright place to post so I will copy my problem and post it into the 2488 / dp24 /dp32

Hi again, *thanks everyone* yes there is so many variables to check into. I had some recordings done just before the problem appeared, the sound is good, just has the demo song too is good. I did a little more test, I think the problem is within the inputs, or the pre-amp. Has soon as I raise the inputs trim gain the noise gets in and that is without anything plugged into it. (I do only a little work at the time 'cause I have lots of pains in my body and that affects my patience, better to laugh at it) :)
I'm an (old school) electrotechnician, it looks like a bad filter (capacitor) into the pre-amp. or a bad ground, I really don't feel like taking it apart to fix it. Has I know that now days there ain't much we can do to fix things beside replacing a module or so, and there is no more electrotechnician around (all retired) and I don't have any equipment to test things out.
One step at a time, I always figure out some ways to fix things, but this time it is a real challenge. The most frustrating thing is ... I was into a creative mood ... (It maybe hard to follow me on this issue, I posted at the wrong place, and did a copy/past into the 2488 / DP 24/32 forum) sorry.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.