Noise reduction settings for air conditioning noise

snappy

Gear owned
Dp32sd
Where I record I have zero opportunity to control the AC in any way at all-and that will not change.
*When I record drums or vocals I have to wait for the ac to turn off and then its "go time".
*To my surprise last night it kept running and running for hours so I had to forget vocals altogether.
*If you have a suggestion/educated guess for what might be a
decent "pre" NR setting for ALL noise reduction parameters
I will start there.
--I have no equipment to detect the db/frequencies of the ac just your guess on a decent setting.
*I certainly dont want to negatively affect the vocal quality with poor noise reduction settings.
*The ac is in a vent on the ceiling. The best way to envision the scenario is an office building pumping ac into rooms.
*I merely have heavy moving blankets for the room and one hanging from the ceiling. It hangs about 2 feet off the ceiling-not blocking ac vent and its about 2 feet above the vocal mic so the sound is blocked (however slight) on some level.
*If we can factor out a "do it yourself vocal booth" and focus on the "given" to this issue that would be helpful for the present-immediate situation.
**I know there is no way to know for sure but a good guess will start me down the right path...

Last edited:
If you can't reduce the mic's sensitivity, then the best approach is to identify first the a/c noise range(s) you're dealing with.

There are sound level meter apps and frequency spectrum analyzer apps for tablets and smart phones - some are free, the rest are cheap. Most are accurate enough for your purposes.

That's where you may want to start.

This may be helpful too. Scroll down to the a/c section. Then consider the subsection that discusses noise reduction as it relates to a/c:
https://ehomerecordingstudio.com/soundproof-room/

A Google search may turn up other sites with specifics for taming a/c noise that don't involve having to use noise reduction on the mic.

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-

New threads

Members online

No members online now.