Noise

Discussion in 'Handheld and Field Recorders' started by mapleman58, Apr 20, 2017.

1. mapleman58

mapleman58 New Member

Gear:
    Tascam DR-40
    Hello, I have a DR-40, have had it for about two years. Most of this time it has been sitting on the shelf. It has always had a hiss to it no matter what I am trying to record or what mics. Is there supposed to be a hiss? Even with the built in mics in a quiet room I get hiss. I talked to one person who said to lower the gain but I don't see where I can do that on this recorder. How can I get rid of the hiss?
  2. mapleman58

mapleman58 New Member

Gear:
    Tascam DR-40
    Well I have been doing some experimenting with the input levels and I seem to be making some progress. I am new to all this recording stuff and I don't know what a good record level should be but I am figuring to keep it low enough so I don't get hiss. I have the hiss gone almost completely with the internal mics. I was just trying my new dynamic mics and I get no his. So I think it is mainly that I need to work with the recorder and learn what good recording levels for each mike is.
  3. cmaffia

cmaffia Moderator Staff Member

Queens, NY
    Gear:
    2 x DM3200, DA-3000
    Remember Dynamic mics have low output which means you will have to increase gain which means you will get more hiss. Try a condenser mic which will need either batter or phantom power.
  4. mapleman58

mapleman58 New Member

Gear:
    Tascam DR-40
    I was wandering about using a small mixer board as a signal booster into the DR-40 for any external mics, would this help?
  5. Stephen

Stephen New Member

Gear:
    DR-40
    Hello, I have had many issues with this same problem (DR40 & hiss). We purchased 30 of them for our students, and the noise on some is relentless. I was told by TEAC to do an initialize (factory reset), and this fixes the issue, but only temporarily, as some of the machines that we reset back in January are having the same problems. This isn't an issue of a slightly noisy pre-amp, but something much larger. I'm attaching a dropbox link to a file (.wav, just a recording of the noise floor/room tone from one of my student's projects. TEAC is currently working with me on this, so hopefully it will be resolved.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/q72i1kvhm407siu/CM_RT.wav?dl=0
  6. mapleman58

mapleman58 New Member

Gear:
    Tascam DR-40
    Thanks Stephen,
    I am looking into the initialize you mentioned on the web and my owner's manual. Yes hopefully this will be resolved soon. The worst amount of hiss for me right now is with the built-in mics. I have two dynamic mics and a piezo that don't have as much hiss.

Stephen,
    Did Teak mention anything about updating the firmware for the recorder? My recorder is about two years old and I have never updated mine, didn't know you could, but I just downloaded the newest version and am going to update it.
    Last edited: May 3, 2017