Onboard ADAT clocking issue

Emyr Rhys

Gear owned
DM-4800, IF-TAD
I seem to have found a workaround for this issue which I assume is a fault that has cropped up on the desk, but I would appreciate it if someone can suggest a way of getting rid of the issue entirely, and I could go back to my old setup.

I have 2 IF-DM/AD cards and I was using these and the on board ADAT ports to run 24 channels to and from my RME RayDAT card in a mac. Recently I've been losing sync between the RayDAT and the onboard ADAT ports on the desk. The connection to the IF-DM/AD cards was fine. The desk was acting as master clock with RayDAT as slave.

I've tried swapping connections/cables, and running with master clock from the Raydat but the problem always seems to come back to the onboard ADAT on the DM4800. I'm now working around this by using my IF-TAD ADAT to TDIF convertor box to connect with the desk using one of the onboard TDIF connectors (good old TDIF!). With the RayDAT as master clock, the IF-TAD syncs over ADAT and provides a wordclock output (BNC) which the desk is happy to sync to.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-12-10 at 13.06.26.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-10 at 13.06.26.png
    71.1 KB · Views: 35
Perhaps it has to do with a known issue with the ADAT expansion backplane? With the older backplane, the internal ADAT works fine, but ADAT via the slots is problematic. It does work if you can make the mixer the clock master to that source, but otherwise the newer
backplane is required to keep the external data in sync. An easy
way to tell if you have the updated slot backplane is on the utility
page where the version number is displayed. If it has a "." dot after
it, it has the updated backplane. If it's just a plain number,
then you have the older backplane.

Reactions: Peter Batah
Good day C. I don't kow what a backplane is but, I want to thank you for chiming in. I have the IF-AD/DM as well. So it's good information to have. Peter

Thanks for the prompt response. I appear to have the more recent backplane, but it's the internal ADAT that's causing the problem rather than the expansion cards, which are fine. Sorry - my use of the word 'onboard' to describe the 'internal' ADAT wasn't very helpful!

Reactions: Peter Batah
Hi everyone . same problem here with both slots. I'm trying to connect an ADAT card but issues (noise) on both slots. Is there any chance of repairing this problem?, cmaffia?.

Thanks for any advice,

Camilo C.

New threads

Members online