One more thing!

Bravohorn1

Gear owned
DP 24SD
I have about 16 songs and music recorded, but only five show up in Audio Depot. What's up with that?

Thanks

Only tracks you've Exported will show up in AudioDepot. The folder is completely independent from your songs & music (these are stored under the MUSIC folder). AudioDepot is only used as a temporary dumping place for wave files to be transferred in & out of song tracks.
Note it's tricky working out which AudioDepot files correspond to which songs as the file names are truncated in the DP24/32 display screen. A computer will display the full name correctly.

Reactions: -mjk-
Thanks Phil for responding to all my threads. One question regarding Audio Depot. Can I import a WAV file from the music file to my daw program without first doing an export procedure through AudioDepot? When connected through USB I can see the music file, and the wave files that I want. They're just not in the Audio Depot file when importing into my daw program. I hope I explained my question correctly. Thanks

You can do this, and it's tempting as it's much quicker than using the Export process via AudioDepot, but.... the files in the MUSIC folder are really for the machine's use only - hence the meaningless 'zz' names. If you only do a single recording to a track, the files should be ok to use, although you'll have to deduce which files equate to which tracks by listening to them. Once you do more recordings or punch-ins, even if it's a continuation on the same track, you'll get more zz files. If you try playing these on a computer, you'll find they are fragments of tracks and/or old bits of audio which have been overwritten. The files will not necessarily start at time zero, so they will also play out of sync in your DAW.

It is possible to piece these zz files back together on a computer - it's one of the ways you can recover audio as a last resort if the card has become corrupted - but it's very tedious. This is why the recommended procedure is to always use Export via AudioDepot, then each wave file is guaranteed to correspond to the latest state of each track and start at time zero.

Note this only applies to track files. The master file is treated differently - it lives in the song folder along with all the zz track files, but you can simply copy this to your computer - no 'export' process is involved.

Transferring edited zz files the other way - copying directly into the MUSIC folder without using Import - is even more risky as the song's index file (the .sys files in the folder) which stores information about which fragments are which, is now out of step with the zz files, so the song may not playback properly - you will have effectively corrupted the song.

Last edited:
Steven, the next best thing is his DVD set!

Reactions: Steven L. Stevens
Okay all,
So I've learned that previous sessions in each tracks mixer screen can bleed into a current one. When I go in the screen and make adjustments to the songs sound how do I not have this happen again, and retain my tweaks? Apologies for my barrage of ?'s. The manual is pretty thin on details, and I'm new to this. Thanks

Bravo, when you create a new song, all the previous assigns and sends, etc. are carried over. You need to make a reset template per Phil Tipping's YouTube video series "Reset to a known state." This is an absolute MUST for any serious recording.

Hey,
Thank you,
I did create a songs demo with set preferences that I use with each new song i create. However I may have f4'd load instead of create. I'm rewatching some videos now. Thanks

Reactions: -mjk-
Bravo, unless you physically normal out the machine, or do a reset from the menu every time you Create a song, everything is carried forward. Load doesn't make a new song, it just loads the highlighted file. So, that means:

If something isn't right and you want to scrap a session and start over, creating a new song will not solve the problem because all your settings (except resolution) will be carried over to the new song.

I know you said that you created a new songs demo "with set preferences" that you use for each new song. But, if you did not reset the machine, you actually did not create a new song with your set preferences.

Do yourself a favor, and watch this video, right now, before you do anything else:

Hey MJK,
I did watch again, and thank you for the information. I hope im not annoying anyone. I think what I did was load template, instead of create at last session. I've watched Phil's videos b4, and ive taken pro audios video course, but had a 2 month distraction, and didn't engage with the 24 much. I did put in a new larger capacity sd card though, and created a template, or at least thought I did. The template does not transfer over from card to card apparently, bc the tascam demo doesn't show up

You would have to physically copy to the other card, or, load a template, shutdown, switch cards, create and save a new template. And no, you're not annoying anyone at all.

Reactions: Steven L. Stevens

New threads

Members online