Outboard effects

Mike Lozano

Gear owned
DP32SD
I'm enjoying my new DP32SD but one thing I haven't figured out yet is how to set it up so that I can use outboard effects. The manual doesn't really say, or it just casually mentions that you have that option but doesn't tell you how to do it.
I read a review where the reviewer mentioned about that he was disappointed that he had to use one of his xlr inputs to make his outboard effect work. Is that how it works? You have to go out one of the effects send line outs in the back and then into your effects unit and then into one of the dp32sd's xlr inputs? Please let me know.

Mike.

Yes, that is correct, you will take the external FX outputs and return them to one of the 8 XLR inputs. Then route that input to a mono track, or if you are using stereo outs from a reverb or delay-to a stereo track, i.e. tracks 23-24.

Mike, that's how it always works. The only difference is that the DP machines do not have dedicated FX returns. A line input is a line input. It doesn't care of it's a drum machine, keyboard or effects.

Btw, did you do search the forum before starting this new thread? There is an identical thread right in the front page at present.

Last edited:
mjk, no I didn't look before I posted this question. I will do so in the future.
Thanks.

Reactions: -mjk-
Over the years I have read complaints from folks pointing out that not having "dedicated returns" is a drawback. The *only* reason that I can think of that this might be a drawback is if you absolutely have to have all 8 inputs committed to something else while tracking/mixing. Other than that, seems to me... it's a non-issue. Or am I missing something?

I agree, David. For most folks I think it would be a non-issue.

For example, I track dry except for electric guitar and bass guitar (and I use a Digitech RP360 to set the guitar sound I want prior to tracking).

In almost 7 years using my DP-24, I haven't yet had a situation where absence of dedicated external effects returns has hampered me when tracking or mixing. It has enabled me to become very creative and inventive over the years, though. :)

Would I use effects returns if they were there? Yes.
Do I miss them? Nope.

Last edited:
mjk, no I didn't look before I posted this question. I will do so in the future.
Thanks.

Mike, I'm asking because you have to select the "Site Results" tab to see the posts only on the forum and not Google.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.