Phantom power / Balanced-UnBalanced question

Derek

Gear owned
Tascam DP-24SD
Hey y'all, I have a semi-dumb question that I was hoping to get answered.

I've got a DP24S coming my way in the next few days, and I have a pyle pdkm7 drum mic kit. I know the condenser mics require phantom power; is it safe to use the other dynamic mics, that use XLR, (which I am assuming as balanced, since they are XLR?) in the same bank where phantom power is enabled?

So, condenser in A, condenser in B, XLR Dynamic kick mic in C, Dynamic Snare mic in D, with phantom power enabled on banks A-D.

Hopefully this will not blow up / damage anything?

As long as you're using straight XLR-XLR mic cables for all, you won't be blowing up anything. There is an exception though for certain ribbon and/or older mics. Also make sure you connect everything before switching on the phantom power.

Roger that. I've read a lot of that, the "older mics and ribbon mics" caveat. I appreciate the clarification.

Just on a side note, what happens with running a unbalanced line instrument, like a keyboard or something into a bank with phantom power? Nothing? - as the current is on the 3rd pin?

No, no, don't do that! Phantom power is a voltage between XLR's pin 2 (Hot) & pin 3 (Cold) - both +48V - towards pin 1 (Ground). By connecting a mono jack you may be shorting your phantom power source and that could result in damage to it, or even further damage to the DP24S. So keep non-XLR connections away from the phantom powered inputs.

Alright! See I knew there was a way to blow things up with phantom power :)

Thanks so much for the info, my new mics and new dp24sd thank you as well!

Ofcourse, there's always a way to blow things up! :LOL:
You're welcome, and good luck.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.