Phantom power question for US 16x08

Isaac Hernandez

Gear owned
US 16x08
I wanted to know if I have 3 mics on channels 1-3 that require phantom power then does channel 4 also have to be a mic that requires phantom power? The manual states that if you choose phantom power that it’s for channels 1-4 and 5-8. Right now I’m not using channel 4 because I have no other mics on my drum set that require phantom power. Any help is appreciated !

As long as your mic cables are correctly wired, you'll have no issues using mics that don't need phantom power (with the exception of some very specific, usually also old mic types). So with normal balanced mic cables the +48V is at both Hot and Cold wires, against the - at the Ground connection. Dynamic mics simply will 'disregard' this power. BTW, it is always advisable to switch off phantom power (and wait shortly) before connecting or disconnecting mics.

Thanks Arjan P I was going to use a Shute beta 52 or sm57 on that channel but the tascam us 16x08 manual says you will damage your mic if you put phantom power on it when it doesn’t need phantom power and since those first 4 channels will have phantom power I didn’t want to ruin one of my mics. Can you recommend a mic cable? Will any normal balanced mic cable work? I wish tascam would put in their manual that any dynamic mic will just ignore this power. Thank you very much !!!!

From what I read, the manual warns about supplying phantom power to an unbalanced dynamic mic, which is correct and also, about connecting while phantom power is on.

And yes, any balanced XLR-XLR cable should work without issue, certainly with these Shure mics.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.