Plugging in headphones doesn’t cut signal to monitors on dps24

Kevin Brown

Gear owned
Tascam 244
Is it possible to cut that signal from the recorder to monitors when using headphones for overdubbing. But from the recorder itself ? save me having to go walkies every time to do it.

Reactions: Dunny
I have this issue as well. I haven' done it yet.... but I plan to run the power cords for the monitors to a dedicated strip plug that is positioned where I can reach it easily and just power them on and off as needed that way.

Reactions: Dunny
Thats actually a decent question to ask , i turn my Mackie monitors off when i put the headphones on , and i have not yet found a way to turn the output off , maybe one of the Vets have a solution to the your question, which will interest me as well

Zoom R16 just has simple vol control next to main outputs. Main function of the tascam is to record multitrack, muting output from control panel is surely a must therefore...and no, not spending 60 more bucks till I’m absolutely sure it s impossible to do but it seems to be heading that way..arghh more expense.

David Porter said "I plan to run the power cords for the monitors to a dedicated strip plug that is positioned where I can reach it easily and just power them on and off as needed that way."

David, have you considered that when you throw the power strip's switch you will be sending a surge into the open circuit of your speaker's power amp since you would have to leave the speakers "on" at volume all the time? When you turn on electrical equipment, a quick jolt of electricity goes through the whole system. This can stress the electrical components (capacitors, resisters, etc.) and it may damage speakers if the "pop" that's produced is too loud. The on/off circuitry of most amplifiers is designed to protect the speakers from such a surge; or the start up procedure requires the amp volume be turned down when powering up the amp.

Kevin, have you considered an A/B stereo switch box that has two L/R inputs and one L/R output? By using the A circuit to connect the DP24 monitor out to the speakers through the switch box, toggling to the B circuit will turn off the signal to speakers. T-Rex used to make something along those lines...think it was called "Polyswitch".

Last edited:
Hi guys, thanks for all your suggestions. I can and have the hardware to re route the main output to utilise a ‘kill’ option, but wondered if as in other digital portastudios I could do this within the machine itself....it seems not...so it’s outboard here I come. Having just encountered the mind numbing learning curve of a digital 3D drawing package I thought I’d seen it all but I have to say the manual for this aural blockbuster takes the biscuit.

I know I'm a little late to the party on this, but I just thought I'd mention for people that find this issue to be a problem- there is something else that worked for me. When I bought my JBL monitors, it came with a little device called a Nanopatch, which basically is a passive attenuator that allows you to control the volume of a stereo signal. I just run the Nanopatch from the Monitor outs on the Portastudio to the Nanopatch inputs, and then run the outputs of the Nanopatch to my Monitors. It also has a mute button which is perfect for shutting off the monitors when I just want to use the headphones, plus it allows me to remotely adjust the volume of my monitors if I so wish.

It's unfortunate, but this is another feature Tascam removed when they went from the 2488 series to the dp series. The 2488 neo had a monitor mute. :-(

I use a $60 Behringer mixer. It allows independent control of the headphones and powered monitors. It also allows my computer to play through my headphones or powered monitors through audio out or usb out.

A very handy setup for cheap.

I have a Q502USB that I use for live streaming. I'm guessing that you're feeding the powered monitors from the 2-track out RCA jacks and you have the "To Main Mix" button engaged. So, when you press "To Phones" it cuts the feed to the 2-track out and thus mutes the monitors.

Very smart, sir!

New threads

Members online

No members online now.