[Poll] Model 12, annoying impulsive noise when operating rotary controls

Does your Model 12 exhibit a similar noise?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Didn't notice before

• I don't care

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Max Relic

Veteran
From
Cagliari, Italy
Gear owned
Portastudio 244, Model 12
Hi fellows,
I didn't want to talk about this until I received a response from the local Tascam service, today I was told that Tascam USA has no clue of the defect I reported and my Model 12 should be sent for repair under warranty.
Briefly, I recently become aware of an impulsive noise clearly audible when operating rotary controls on each channel and in the master section, equalizer included, with the exception of pan pots and faders. Think of a pulse train produced every time a control is moved, less noticeable with complex programs but much more audible with simple ones. In a year using the Model 12 I used to set the mixer controls prior to start recording and practically didn't change them during the session, so I didn't notice any anomaly. Until 5 weeks ago, when I started a very dynamic mix session and the problem became inescapably evident.
I recorded a test sine signal at various frequencies pre-comp and pre-eq on mono and stereo tracks + the main mix, while operating the channel controls, ; as a result, the defect is present only on the main mix stereo track. To illustrate the defect I recorded a video and gave time Tascam service Italy to examine the material and verify with Tascam USA, sadly they had no previous experience with this kind of anomaly.

See for yourself, but be warned that it's a really boring test session ;)

The main mix file:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/11F_tpCiFH_tf9xwJaMDi9LmcMUt0PtF5/view?usp=share_link

P.s: re-reading the message before posting and it appears boring to me :D

Reactions: -mjk-
UPDATE 10 October 2023: the unit returned from repair service but the malfunction is still present. And what's more, now the system language is German and there is no menu option to change it to Italian or English. WTF!!!

UPDATE 25 October 2023: Tascam technical support sent me the procedure for changing the system language, one annoying problem solved! Finally, the shop where I purchased the Model 12 wil replace the unit with a new one. Great!

Reactions: -mjk-

New threads

Members online

No members online now.