Porta05 plugged in input "kills" track output to line out

telengard

Gear owned
688,424 mki,Porta 5
Just wondering if this is normal. I have my Porta05 attached to a patchbay so that the 4 inputs are accessible from the patchbay. What I noticed is, when something is plugged in a track input, I get no line out for those tracks during playback.

Is this normal? I just had this serviced so I'm hoping it's not broken. My guess is that I'm misunderstanding something. I have this same setup with my 424 mkii and I don't seem to have this issue, but it does have separate monitor/main out.

I did work on one a while back for a client but there are 1/4" jack that are normalized and switched but I do not recall such a property on the Porta 05. I would look at the service manual and see what they use for head amps as sometimes they use the same amp section of the mic preamp for the head amp purpose but modify the response as required later on. If it does it on all input then it might be normal as 4 failing at once is not a typical scene.

Thanks for the info, and yes, this happens on all 4 input ports.

I did some more digging, and yes, if there is something plugged into a track input, that track will not play from tape, here's a picture from the manual.

Also, it mentions not connecting the L and R to a "Y adapter" or there will be a circuit failure. I'm assuming that means, don't combine L and R into a single mono signal. Keeping them separate on a TRS would only have common sleeve and be OK.

Does that sound right? (I've attached a picture of that section as well).

Attachments

• input_defeat.png
    input_defeat.png
    306.2 KB · Views: 0
  • no_y_adapter.png
    no_y_adapter.png
    350.7 KB · Views: 0

New threads

Members online

No members online now.