Portastudio 424 mk 1, Track 3 records lower than the rest

Porta424User

From
Newfoundland, Canada.
Gear owned
Portastudio 424mk1/488mk1
Hello all.
Recently got back into 4 track recording after finding a good deal on an original portastudio 424. When I got it, this thing was a 10/10, looked/functioned/sounded like it was really taken care of (impressive for a tape machine from the 90's). I have been using it quite alot, and over time I've noticed its not recording sources to track 3 like it used to. Tried several tests recording from each of the 6 different 1/4" inputs to the track 3 bus, tried recording one input/instrument to all 4 busses just to compare output from all 4 tracks and theres still a good 3-4db difference. Just track 3! The level meter for channel 3 seems to indicate no problem with the preamp going TO tape (plenty signal going in), but just records at a lower level. Since I often record bass and drums to tracks 3 and 4 respectively, I find myself using the effect send for a preamp to send that channel/track to, matching the output of tracks 1,2,4. While that is a workaround, it of course sacrifices my one aux send for sake of a volume boost to track 3. I can still use that handy 'sync out' jack for an aux send on track 4 only, but that leaves tracks 1 and 2 dry.

Although I make no claims of being a genius when it comes to electronics, I have tried the usual stuff: cleaning the record/play and erase heads carefully with 91% iso and a q-tip, using a commercially available head cleaner....one thing I haven't done is demagnetized, but the thought of forever ruining my 424's heads with one little mis-step terrifies me.

I guess I'm hoping to find some sort of fix, or at the very least just would like to know this problem isn't going to get much, much worse. In my experience of owning 4 tracks back in the day, they all died on me after 2-3 years of fairly heavy, but not 'abusive' use, and for various reasons (although they were always lesser models like the porta 01, and I feel like this 424 is a huge step up).

Any help/advice would be much appreciated. So far I'm glad I found this forum and I've got lots of interesting stuff to read!

Having used a 244 and a 688 for many years, I have not really had this issue with one track being low. I did regularly de-magnetise the unit however. The de-magnetiser needs to be used with extreme care. I put some silicon tubing over it to prevent me touching any metal parts . You switch the wand on, at a long distance from tape unit, then slowly approach, moving around all heads and transport parts, then withdraw slowly and switch it off. Make sure none of your valuable tapes are anywhere near this gadget !! Of course , if the heads are worn, that is more serious, but I doubt if that is the case. When I monitor signal in, normally signal out is at the same level on the meters on playback. DBX on or off might be an issue here too.

Yep, demagnetizing is about the only thing I haven't done. Just seems strange that it'd have that issue so soon (only had it for about 2 months now), this thing was in tip top shape, stored well, etc. But hey, this thing is from the 90's....

I've noticed since, if I flip the switch for track 3 to 'direct' below the level meter, it seems to show a bit hotter signal. That started me thinking it might just be the level meter, but after much listening again, anything recorded to track 3 is still noticeably lower. Oddly enough, if I, say use a preamp for my bass, go in thru one of the stereo ins (5-6 or 7-8), I do get a bit stronger signal on tape. Starting to wonder if it isn't just a small wiring issue thru channel 3 or somewhere between the channel and the head that just affects track 3. Tracks 1,2,4 work without a hitch, no signal loss/hi end loss/etc. Wierd stuff. Will try and track down a Demagger though and give it a shot. Can't hurt....unless I sneeze or something lol

Btw, I've been curious about the 688, always wanted to try one, or a 488. Looks like the 688 is a killer machine!

I started out in this home recording thing with a 244 Tascam. It was quite good and really portable. With a bit of care, you could bounce 3 tracks into one, then record another 2 and bounce to one, and so on. The 688 was the bee's knees at the time, and also having Midi sync, you could use it with computer. If needed you could do the bounce thing too, giving you about 30 created tracks on tape. It is quite big and heavy, not like a portastudio, but the quality is wonderful. They were very expensive !! I got mine almost new from someone who had to get married in a hurry, at less than 2/3rds list price. You can still get them for reasonable money , especially if professionally checked over /refurbished. I really want to get mine repaired, but waiting for the service manual to attempt this. The other thing I used the 688 for , was as a live band mixing desk. The EQ and aux sends etc are wonderful for that, plus you could record a band at the same time !

Same here, been using 4 tracks since my high school days in the 90's. I think the first one I had was a fostex, pretty basic machine....no eq or anything. Had this old dod eq pedal I'd use, and in those days I just plugged in direct through that. Didn't really care if the guitars sounded dry back then, I was just learning how to play guitar then as something to make little chord progressions I could play sax over. The thought of being able to record 4 tracks was certainly a wonder!

At one point, after my 3rd 4 track died on me, I just kinda gave up and went digital with a zoom 8 track I bought off a friend. From there, I started using that, then garageband, then logic/ableton live. Just recently this summer, I saw an ad online selling the porta 424.....this came at a point where I was getting kinda bored with recording on my comp with all the plugins and effects, etc, and I wasn't really inspired to write anything. I bought the 424 on a whim, and when I got it home, I was really inspired. Something different, of course much simpler for demo's, plus there was the nostalgia of it all, the challenge of making decent quality recordings, and having the limit of tracks made sure little demo ideas didn't get muddied up with the unlimited overdubs!

I still use my comp for recording things too, but the 4 track is my writing/inspiration machine. If I really like tracks I've done, the 424 has those tape outs, so I can dump the 4 tracks into my daw!

One of these days I'd love to get a 688 or even the less expensive 488. It'd just be cool to have 8 tracks.....record 4 tracks of drums, bounce em down to 2, etc. I've wanted an 8 track portastudio since I found out they existed in the 90's!

New threads

Members online