Portastudio 464 – Playhead retracts immediately after pressing play

not-nothing

Gear owned
TASCAM Portastudio 464
Hi,

I recently picked up a used 464 that seems to be in pretty good shape, but isn't quite in working order. Was hoping to get some help diagnosing what exactly the problem is, and see if it's an issue I'd be able to repair myself. The problem is this: when I hit play, the playhead (and other components I'm not knowledgeable enough to identify) pops up against the bottom of the tape, stays put for a varying length of time (sometimes less than a second, sometimes 6 or 7 seconds), then retracts back into the machine without playing. It's slightly maddening. If it would help, I can film a couple attempts to give a better sense of what I'm describing.

So, if anyone knows what might be causing this, I'd really appreciate borrowing your knowledge and expertise!

There may be damage to the gear that causes the head base to rise up but then that can only be confirmed by inspection There are some Porta Studio models than make use of the transport type in the 122 Mk III and in that case you may have a cracked Gear C. I am the only one selling them these days as I have had them made custom. Inspection of the transport is the only way to find out. I have repaired some of those recently in the Chicago area.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.