Pro Tools signal to DM-3200 Aux Outs 1-4

Steve NVS

Gear owned
Tascam DM 3200
I'm using Pro Tools 12 with a DM-3200. Everything is working fine except I can't figure out how to send a signal to the assignable sends 1, 2, 3 & 4. These are the 4 TRS outputs just below the XLR Main Outputs on the upper left corner of the DM-3200 rear panel. I want to send headphone cue mixes to these 4 outputs and then patch them to a multi-channel headphone amplifier. (I'm not asking how to create a headphone cue mix.)

I have the document:"Headphonemixes and the DM3200 & DM4800 Tascam digital mixers." It tells how to set up routing in the DM3200 to the 4 aux outputs, and I've followed those instructions. But I don't see any corresponding Aux Output in Pro Tools. I'm not trying to route audio from the Tascam input channels to those 4 aux outputs. I want to route audio from the Pro Tools tracks to those 4 aux outputs. I've looked through all the PT Setup menus and I only see the Inputs, Outputs, and internal Busses. No Aux output to the Tascam. Obviously there's some additional setup or routing I need to do. Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peter Batah
1. Use the Sends in PT to create your Cue Mix.
2. Route the Sends to a dedicated Aux track in PT
3. Route the output of that AUX track in PT to an available input (via firewire most likely) into the DM
4. In that return channel, turn the Aux control up that goes to the Aux output you have going to the headphone amp

Just try it.

Thanks very much Jamsire. I'm mostly ok with the Pro Tools part (1. & 2.) For 3. you say to route the output in PT to an "available input". I really have no clue what this means. (I am using firewire to the DM3200 and already sending the PT Main L/R to: Slot 1 - Ch 17 and Slot 2 - Ch 18 on the DM.) I think I need to route the PT headphone audio to an "Output", for instance channel 31/32 (for a stereo headphone output) I want to send 4 stereo headphone signals to the 4 DM Aux Outputs, so I think I need to send to output channels 25/26, 27/28, 29/30, and 31/32. So the big question is how to get those 4 stereo signals to the DM3200 Aux Outs. I have already followed instructions of the Headphone Mix & DM3200 document using the Routing Output screen to select Aux 1-4, select ASN SEND, and Source: AUX. I have previously set up the Routing Input screen; that's where I set Slot 1/2 to go to channels 17/18 for the PT main output. On this same screen the rest of the channels are labeled TDIF2-1, etc. and won't change to something that looks like channels 25-32. Tell me where I'm going wrong. THANKS Steve

You have to re-read what I wrote in #3.

Read it step by step and you will see that it is exactly what you want to do. The Aux track in PT "is the output" - 29-30, 31-32 firewire. Whatever channel in the DM you assign these returns to, go to step #4.

Here's what I've done in the DM3200 Routing Input screen. (First image.) See center section where I've assigned Slot1-25 to Channel 25, and so on through Channel 32. I've selected channels 17-32 on the DM3200 and raised the faders for channels 25-32. I'm hoping this will send 4 stereo headphone signals (output in PT to channels 25-32) to the DM3200. Next challenge is to route them to the 4 Aux Outputs. I'm not sure how to do that. (I think right now they're going to the main output of the DM3200.) The next image is the Routing Output screen. Here I've followed that Headphone Mix document instructions to send AUX 1-4 to tho Assign Sends. Is this right? How do I get channels 25-32 to go as 4 stereo signals to the 4 Aux Outs?

In your post above you said: "4. In that return channel, turn the Aux control up that goes to the Aux output" It's completely unclear what this means. Is the "Return Channel" in a routing menu, a fader on the DM3200, or something else? And where is the "Aux Control" on that channel that I need to turn up?

Thanks for your patience.

Attachments

• IMG_3595.JPG
    IMG_3595.JPG
    180.6 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_3591.JPG
    IMG_3591.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 50
I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination. In fact, I haven't had my DM-3200 for very long. That being said, I am trying to understand what it is that you are attempting to accomplish. I spent some time at my DM in an effort to replicate your situation. Again, I could be way off. This is what I did: I created a simple 16 channel mixer in my DAW and created 4 AUX strips.

I was going to go into a lengthy confusing explanation of my setup but.. see below!

I would have sent you some screenshots but it is getting late where I am located. I will get around to it tomorrow if you do not mind waiting.

In a nutshell I am sending any DAW channel of my choosing to any of the DAW auxes, sending them back to my DM where I am able to monitor them and create a cue mix which I can then sent out to my headphone amp via assignable sends. Am I making any sense?

Thanks Peter.

I'm not "Creating a Cue Mix in the DM". I'm creating a cue mix in Pro Tools. Now all I want to do is get those audio signals to the 4 Aux Outs on the DM, hopefully in stereo. Those 4 Aux Outs are TRS and I'm hoping they can pass a stereo signal. Am I right?

So, what I'm trying to accomplish is this: Send 4 headphone cue mixes from Pro Tools to the DM3200 and then out the 4 Aux Outs on the back of the board. I completely understand how to create headphone cue mixes in Pro Tools. And I've routed them to the Pro Tools Output Channels 25 through 32. Then in the DM3200 I've used the Routing screen to input those signals to the DM channels 25-32 and they go to the DM main outputs. That much works but I can't figure out how to get the signals to the Aux Outs.

Then This: In the midst of setting the Routing on the DM I have lost the left channel of the main output. When I look at the Monitor screen I have a stereo signal coming into the DW but the main out only shows the Right channel and Main Speakers and Headphones only have right channel. There's a MONO button in the headphone control section of the DM. When I press the Mono button the headphones get stereo (Go Figure!) but the main speakers do not. I can post screen shots if it helps. I changed all the routing settings back to what they were but the right channel problem is still there. It is clearly a routing issue within the DM.

In addition I seem to be getting a lot of latency just today and not sure what I could have done to cause that.

DM3200 routing is painful. Thanks for everyone's help and patience.

I'm not "Creating a Cue Mix in the DM". I'm creating a cue mix in Pro Tools.
I understood that.

Now all I want to do is get those audio signals to the 4 Aux Outs on the DM, hopefully in stereo. Those 4 Aux Outs are TRS and I'm hoping they can pass a stereo signal. Am I right?
Not sure if they can pass a stereo signal. More info on this on page 40 of the Owners Manual

I have A/S 1 and 2 plugged into the L/R insert point of my Behringer headphone amp.

Here are some screenshots that I took a few minutes ago. Sorry, I can't be of much help in so far as the other issues that you are having (re: loss of stereo signal) Good Luck! Peter

https://app.box.com/s/hc25za8kkbbv9qtl1a0t7e0izdt279gg

Last edited:
I'm afraid it's not possible to send a stereo signal out through the ASN sends, since they are mono. To route a signal to the ASN sends (steps 3 and 4 in Jamsire's post) you have to:
- select a channel (one of 25-32)
- turn up the aux control (1 of 4) in that channel, and the channel fader
- make shure that the the faders/controls for the aux busses are up (ie in the aux layer)
- route the 4 aux busses to the 4 ASN send (you already did that)
Routing is painful indeed, but once you understand it, there are few things that can't be done in the DM. Have you seen the late Captain Dan's routing zen?:
http://www.tascamforums.com/threads/dm-routing-zen.634/
Also, my routing diagram may be useful:
DM%20Basic%20routing%202.bmp

Hope this helps!

Ok I've been working at it and have solved the problems. A big help was one of Peter's screen shots. It showed the 4 Aux out volume controls. I've never seen this screen before!! You'd think it would be under Routing, but oh no. It shows up when you press the Module button that's in the Home Section with the User 1, 2, 3 buttons. (See attached image.) So I raised the level of Aux 1-4 and now audio comes out of the 4 Aux Outputs on the back of the DM3200!!!!! It's mono but I can live with that. (I'll be using this for "More Me" headphone cues and blending it with the main stereo signal.) Right below the Aux faders is a Pre/Post/Return selection. I tried EVERY control and couldn't get these to change. Then just now I accidentally discovered that the ENTER button switches them. Totally Non-Intuitive.

The other problem that cropped up while I was trying to get Aux Out audio was that I was hearing audio from the Right Main output only; nothing in the Left Main output. (I'm using channels 17 & 18 for main outputs.) I went to the Pan/Bal/Surround screen (attached image) and discovered that the channel 17 was panned all the way to the right instead of hard left. This happened without human intervention, don't ask me how. So I faded 17 hard left and all is good now.

One unrelated question: Is it possible to use the Tascam transport controls to "Return to Zero" in Pro Tools? I'm only getting "rewind" when I press the back arrow and it slowly plays in reverse. It would be really helpful to be able to return to the beginning of the song. (If I don't get an answer I'll start a new post so this question can be more easily seen.)

Thanks Everyone
Steve

Attachments

• Aux Out Levels.JPG
    Aux Out Levels.JPG
    159.4 KB · Views: 40
  • Main Out Pan LR.JPG
    Main Out Pan LR.JPG
    190 KB · Views: 30
Hello Steve. I am glad that you sorted things out. Your persistence surely paid off. Bravo! The remote setup is actually pretty straightforward. I have always been able to use the full functionality of the transport section. As I said in an earlier post, I do not use Pro Tools. So, I don't know if I can be of much help. I will gladly prepare some screenshots of my setup if you would like. It would have to wait till Sunday though as it is getting late where I am located. Peter

Right below the Aux faders is a Pre/Post/Return selection. I tried EVERY control and couldn't get these to change. Then just now I accidentally discovered that the ENTER button switches them. Totally Non-Intuitive.
The arrow shows what selection/parameter will be subject to ENTER in many screens of the DM, just something to get used to I guess. Also, on the dedicated AUX screens you can set PRE and POST in one overview page (i.s.o. going through each channel module). See user manual page 68.

Forgive my ignorance @Arjan P But, what does i.s.o stand for.

Instead of or In Search Of (Spock)

Thank you @cmaffia . I'll be going to bed a little wiser tonight. Live Long & Prosper. Over and out

OK, I'm back - still trying to route headphone cue mixes from Pro Tools to the 4 assignable aux outputs on the back of the DM 3200. THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP.

I do have audio coming out of the 4 aux outs of the DM 3200 but it is the main Stereo output of the board. Instead I need to send a separate cue mix from Pro Tools to each aux out.

In Pro Tools I can send audio to either Channel Outputs 1 to 32, or Bus Outputs 1 to 32. I presume Buses are internal to Pro Tools, so I need to send my Cue Mixes to Channel Outputs 29, 30, 31 and 32, for instance. Correct?

MY QUESTION: How do I route PT Channel Outputs 29-32 so they go to the DM3200 Aux Outs 1-4? Please, I beg you, don't tell me "In that return channel turn the aux control up that goes to the aux output." I need guidance on exactly which Routing menu to open, what settings to change, etc. Thank you friends for your help!

Reactions: cmaffia

New threads

Members online

No members online now.