Pro Tools Templates

BigEasy504

Gear owned
Tascam DM 3200
I have set up templates in Pro Tools 10 for 44.1 - 24 bit, 48k-bit and I have not set 96k yet. The first one set up was for 44.1 - 24 bit, all input/output route correctly and the DM 3200 works well in remote, I hear everything vocals/instrumental tracks (through the speakers and headphones) etc and the transport stop/play/record all works. I set another template for 48k the same as 44.1 and I hear nothing and the remote doesn't respond except for the faders but nothing else. meaning no transport activity and no vocals etc. The new project, manage project and clock are all set to 48k. What could have I done differently from 44.0 to 48k to produce this?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're using the latest Tascam DM drivers, you'll need to reboot both your console and computer.

But first, go into your Windows AUDIO DEVICE/ADVANCED menu, and make changes to BOTH the PLAYBACK and RECORD parameters to reflect the new sample rate. Then reboot PC/DM and select the new sample rate on the DM. Assuming your Ptools templates were properly set up in the SESSION menu, everything should be fine.

These steps must be repeated EACH TIME you change the sample rate or nothing will work.

CaptDan

How can you tell if your drivers are current

First - go to this (DM3200/4800) Forum main page. Atop it are links/info to the latest V1.31.xx drivers. Make note of the most recent iteration.

Next, open up your Win7 Devices/Audio/Advanced menu. Click on the DMFWII icon. The driver number should be listed somewhere therein. If you see anything beneath V1.31.xx, download the newest driver and follow the INSTRUCTIONS for installation.

By the way, you didn't mention what interface you're using. If it's not DMFWire/II, then disregard this post.

CaptDan

Yes I am using DMFWire/II, but exactly where are the links/info for the latest drivers, does it say links for drivers at the top of the forum page because I don't see it.

Start with the second one which, I think, is the latest version. Some folks like me are using a couple of beta versions possibly older than those with good results.

CaptDan

Sorry for my delayed response but here are the current drivers TASCAM DM 3200.PNG IF-FW DM mkII.PNG

You should definitely install the latest Tascam driver: _172407_release-zip.384/.

Second, be sure your Win7 EI1394 driver is the 'LEGACY" driver. Do NOT use any other version!

CaptDan

Once I unzip the file does the Tascam automatically reads it, what state (on/off) should the DM be in when I unzip the files and how do I change the 1394 to Legacy.1394.PNG

First!............

1. UNINSTALL THE OLD TASCAM DRIVER!!

Second.........

2. When you unzip the new Tascam FIREWIRE driver, you'll be prompted through the steps.

3. After you've verified the file has successfully installed, reboot the computer.

4. Check the DIGITAL/SLOT menu; the 1394 driver should show LOCKED.

LEGACY DRIVER........................................

You'll need to go into your DEVICE menu, locate your IEE1394 device/Tascam Firewire Driver [1.3xxx]

Next - you'll locate the ADVANCED menu in Win7. Choose the folder with IE1394 driver(s)

Then - look at the NAME of what's CURRENTLY installed. If it doesn't say 'LEGACY,' go back to that folder, locate the 'LEGACY' driver and tell Win7 to install that one instead.

Re-boot and check it all out.

I'm not in front of the studio computer, so I'm going by memory. If I missed a step, I apologize.

CaptDan

2 things:

1. I have installed the drivers and the install was successful and after reboot I could not find: Check the DIGITAL/SLOT menu; the 1394 driver should show LOCKED.

2. I go into device manager and I find the IF-FW/DM mkII drivers under Sound, video and game controllers but I can't find the advanced menu in Windows 7 (Legacy driver) is this when I reboot the system hit F12 and check the bios etc

Please ad-vise. ThanksDrivers.PNG

Right Screen (Win7 drivers) - choose 'UPDATE DRIVER'. You should see a prompt menu, with something to the effect '..choose from drivers on computer or something.." Find 'LEGACY' and install that option.

Re: Digital/ Slot..........................................

LOCATE: button: 'Digital' (hit ALT simultaneously; this shifts to the 'Blue' level).

NEXT: Choose the second TAB bottom of screen: 'SLOT'

THEN: Observe top of the subsequent screen: "1394 Driver"..........should show 'LOCKED'

NOTE! - Not in front of studio computer; going by memory. There could be another IE1394 Win7 menu not indicated in your screen shots. If the steps fail, I'll look into it and find the right one.

CaptDan

After choosing the 'UPDATE DRIVER' I choose option to " Search automatically for updated driver software (search computer and internet)" no Legacy options to pick from but I get the messages that's in the screen shot so I could not find the Legacy drivers. Is there some where I can get them, are they on the forum for download. Can someone possible provide a link to them.

1394 Driver is showing 'LOCKED'

IF-FW DM mkII.PNG

As I said, I wasn't in front of the studio PC when I wrote that.

There's a separate menu in the Win7 Device menu where the audio/IE1394 Win7 Legacy drivers can be found. You'll have to bear with me until tomorrow when I can locate it and direct you to finding it. No need to seek the Legacy driver elsewhere; it's already buried in your PC even though the damn Win7 'robot' insists you have the 'correct one.' :)

CaptDan

You're looking for the IEE1394 'host' driver or somesuch in Windows hardware, but I'm not in front of the studio PC either. It's not the IF-FW driver.

1. Go to the IEE1394 firewire device in Windows device manager (NOT THE OPTIONAL TASCAM FIREWIRE CARD, YOUR COMPUTER'S FIRWIRE DEVICE).

Device_Manager.jpg

2. Choose "update driver"

3. Choose "browse computer"

4. Choose "let me choose from list" and select the driver that says (legacy).

5. You're done.

Last edited:
Thanks Charlie! I just walked back from the studio with the same instructions, just a little late.

BTW, folks - CMaffia was, to my knowledge, the first guy on here to discover that Win7/Legacy is THE only IEEE1394 driver that works rock steady with the DM firewire interface. All the others are a world of hurt when you least expect it.

CaptDan

New threads

Members online