Problem importing wav file

Saxomohawh

Veteran
Gear owned
Dp 24 sd
This forum has been a great help for me to get started with my DP 24 SD, but now I have a new problem. I can not see what I do wrong, or what is wrong with the file I try to import.

I have made a song with 24 bit 48kHz. The file I want to import was first an mp3 which I converted to wav 24 bit 48 kHz mono through this site: http://audio.online-convert.com (I have also tried with first converting it to flac, and then converting it again to wav. To get rid of eventual meta data.)

I place the file in the Audio Depot folder, and I can verify with the computer that it is there. When I turn off USB, disconnect the PC, and check in the Audio Depot in Tascam it says "File not found".

I have also tried with 2 other online converters with the same result. The file is 39 seconds long and 5610 kbyte, which I think should be correct for 24 bit 48 kHz mono. The file plays fine on the PC, no problem there. Any suggestions?

I should add: The file is named Frank.wav

Last edited:
The only reasons I can think of are:
1. The disconnect process - you should 'safely remove' the USB device from Windows and wait for the ok before turning off the USB connection on the dp24.
2. The file format does not match the current song on the dp24. Sam posted some tricks with file formats so he might shed more light on this.
Just out of interest, you could record a mono track 39secs long (in a song created in 24bit/48K), export it and see if file size agrees with your calculations.

Actually it doesnt work exactly like described in the manual. Page 68 Disconnecting from Windows computer, point 2: .......After that you can unplug the USB cable. The Home screen appears on the screen.

The home screen does not appear automatically on the Tascam, it still shows the USB screen, where I can click YES to disable USB.

I created a mono track on Tascam, exported it, deleted it from Audio Depot. Then imported it back, no problem with that file.

Last edited:
That's odd; mine (dp32sd) behaves ok. While the machine is connected to Windows, the Tascam display shows the disconnect USB screen with the 'Yes' prompt. When you 'safely remove' from Windows, wait for the Ok, then press Yes, there's a couple of secs. 'spinning reels' delay, then it drops back to the home screen.
Don't think this explains your problem though if you've imported a file created from the Tascam successfully. Sounds more like a format compatibility issue. Was the good file roughly the same size as the problem file? If you right-click each file on Windows and compare their properties, are they similar?
Update: as a last resort, email me the problem file and I'll try it on mine. Address is at bottom of page on philizound.co.uk web site.

Last edited:
Well, you write that you must press Yes (to the question switch off USB?) before it returns to the Home screen. That is exactly what I describe, but according to the manual it should go to the home screen after the USB connector is removed. Anyway, this is not my problem here since it worked with the file created in Tascam. After reading a suggested post from Sam I feel pretty sure that it is some kind of compatiblility problem between different types of wav formats.

"...After that you can unplug the USB cable. The Home screen appears on the screen".
The home screen does not appear automatically on the Tascam, it still shows the USB screen, where I can click YES to disable USB.
Ok I see what you mean, although this does imply you've unplugged the cable before pressing Yes... which is definitely not a good thing for the card's integrity. But we're probably talking cross-purposes :) so let's see what Sam says, or send me the rogue file if you like.

Allright, I finally found a way to do this. I downloaded Audicity (freeware), opened the file, changed "Project rate" to 24 bit, Export audio with selected fileformat "Other uncompressed audio" with "Header"=WAV and "Encoding"=signed 24-bit PCM.

New threads

Members online