Problem, New Masterfile Created on DP-24, Old Masterfile appears on Computer

Nick J

From
Cheshire, England
Gear owned
DP-24
I have spent today trying to figure this out, but to no avail. I want to create music but this problem has blighted me into a nerdland I want no part of.
1. I created a new masterfile and used the the mastering mix of eq, compression and normalize etc, which I don't normally do- I normally do this in garage band. I made sure I recorded the master track as I listened when I was satisfied with the mix.
2. Then I pressed the mixdown/mastering button as I need to do this to set up a USB connection with my computer
3. Then I did my usual, of copying the master file just created and I copied the 'z' one too to check them both.
I found that the master files transfered to the computer were old ones I'd done a few days earlier, no sign of new one ,except on the DP-24.
Please can someone explain what error I'm making...thanks.

Hi Nick, welcome to the forum. It's not clear if you did step 1 correctly. You press Record in mastering mode to overwrite the master file which contains the mix (first time round) with the mastered version. You don't press Record for the normalise process.
If you press Play in mastering mode (and turn off EQ & Comp if they were on), you'll hear the master file, so you can check if it's what you expect.
As you say, you then press the Mix/Master button again to return to Multitrack mode so you can enable the USB link.
After copying the file, you must close the USB connection in the correct order - close it at the computer end first (unmount, safely remove, eject depending on your system), then when it's safe, disable the link at the DP end.

'Jesus Banana's' as they say ....problem solved...and it's nothing to blame on the DP-40.
Yes ,I admit, the error lies squarely with myself and my ignorance with itunes!
What actually has been happening is that the file I copied into another folder from the DP-40 on the computer had the same name as the one I had previously filed some days ago. So I fired up itunes to play the track and lo and behold , it reverted the historical file still on computer and I hadn't realised this until I checked the itunes history area. Obviously I now will ensure renaming, probably with a date reference would be a sensible option.
Anyway, thanks Phil for your attention and swift response.

Reactions: Phil Tipping
Ehm, slight side note: this is the DM-24 forum..

Sorry , my recorder is a Tascam DP-24, not DP-40 whatever that is... (I need my glasses)

Last edited:

New threads

Members online

No members online now.