Problem when selecting mute on channel 1, 2, 3, 4 on all layers on DM-3200

bmanpro

From
Long Island, NY
Gear owned
DM3200, DM24, M-512, 234
Selecting mute button(s) on Chan 1,2,3,4 (on all layers) causes cycling of library as a key direct recall option, (snapshot, etc.) as well as activating solo and changing buss options on those channels. Done factory reset several times. Board seems to clear up when on for about 3 to 5 minutes but not always. Board go's back to same odd behavior on it's own at different times or when rebooting. Board has become unreliable, Need Help! Any suggestions? Ps, all cards, midi, bnc, tdif, spdif removed/not connected.

Last edited:
Assumed resetting board back to factory took care of that. Did however reset what i think to be user-selectable options to default by going through each screen mode and clearing or resetting to default. If there's any I'm missing, please post me. Thanks

I was referring to your DAW computer. If you have - say - IIFW V1.30 installed and you want to upgrade to V1.31xx - you'd first perform a complete UNinstall of that driver BEFORE attempting to install an upgrade. Same would be true for any driver/apps in your DAW (IEE1394, etc) which are basic to bi-directional stability and comms.

I'm just offering an opinion/guess, since I've been to the Rodeo Of Driver Hell some time in the thankfully distant past. :)

CaptDan

I've installed, reinstalled, downgraded and updated drivers for dm-3200 as well as DAW. In this case however, DM-3200 is stand-alone. The board is not connected to any digital I/O, midi, or pc. All connections except Instruments (Analog) I/O have been disconnected. DM-3200 right now has been stripped down and in stand alone mode as i run tests and checks to isolate problem. I normally run the board in 32 I/O firewire @ 96k in surround mode, switching between surround and stereo mode at different stages of production. This mode of operation has served me well without any problem but i also changed that to 44k stereo. I was thinking the change in weather may be the cause, hadn't had problem until summer kicked in. Ran a blow dryer set to cool for several hours in the opened unit with no success. Thinking it may be the assign board (part# E95188700A) which assigns the first 8 channels, the first 4 mute option being problematic. Ordered an new one last week from Teac/Tascam. However, received a call today from parts@teac.com that item is no longer in stock and may be in 6 weeks, so check back every couple of weeks. This sounds a little grim being that Tascam has already discontinued support for the firewire card, what's next? Love this board, don't want to abandon it yet, hoping i won't have to, at lease for another 5 years. Thanks CaptDan for your reply, all ideas welcomed.

This sounds a little grim being that Tascam has already discontinued support for the firewire card, what's next?
I thought RedBus alluded to the fact that the IF-FW/DMmkII's unavailability is temporary until they source more DICE-2 chips? He also went on to say that Tascam supports product/parts replacement for 7 years after production run.

"We're searching the globe for any remaining stocks of the DICE-2 chip to be able to manufacture more IF-FW/DMmkIIs..."

http://www.tascamforums.com/threads/if-fw-dmmkii-discontinued.3246/

Even if they stopped manufacturing or ran out of parts for the DM3200 there are plenty of working units being sold on eBay at very affordable and sometimes ridiculously cheap prices.

Last edited:
Reactions: bmanpro and captdan
Bmanpro, what was the solution? My board just started acting up: on channels 9-16, pressing Solo scrolls screen menus while simultaneously muting the soloed track And selecting the track. Pressing Solo again un-solos, but leaves the track muted and selected. This is on all layers. Ive tried everything mentioned in the above posts. Please advise!

Here is a shot explaining the phenomenon I'm experiencing: pressing any of the Solo buttons on channels 9-16 results in the simultaneous activation of multiple buttons. The solo buttons and screen mode buttons both do this.

Attachments

• 20150919_153017.jpg
    20150919_153017.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 10
Sorry for the late update Tascam DM3200 users who've followed my post (Problem when selecting mute on channel 1, 2, 3, 4 on all layers on DM-3200).

I recently solved the problem about a month or two ago but had other issues in studio, mainly #1 studio computer. (Had to replace pc motherboard, (board about 3 years old), had some kind of bios issue. Bios would not hold the month of July and September for 2015, most problematic).

Anyway, the problem with my DM3200 was due to a bad copper connection on circuit board (P/N E95188700A, (assign pcb assy for DM-3200)) around #1 mute button, (I think moisture corrosion).

While looking for burnt or discolored components on board using a pair of watch repair magnifier glasses I noticed the bubbling or flaking of the white protective coating protecting said circuit.

Repair Steps:

1-Removed flaking coating, found discoloration on copper circuit.

2-Proceeded to remove all flaking coating of said circuit beyond the circumference of the discolored area. A little pasted the point of the normal colored copper area.

3-Blew away excess, cleaned area with a tooth brush and 50% isopropyl alcohol, dried area and surrounding components well with hair dryer set to cool/warm for about an hour to be completely sure.

4-Applied rosin soldering flux to exposed circuit, then applied a bead of solder spreading over discolored and normal colored exposed copper until completely covered.

5-Problem solved, I have my board back, o' happy days!

I believe the problem was due to moisture in room during the early summer which was when the problem first started. So far haven't experienced any other issue in studio other than main computer motherboard bios, which also may been due to moisture. Now I keep the AC on until I get a dehumidifier.

Happy Mixing!

New threads

Members online

No members online now.