Problem with external microphones on tascam dr-44wl

lamda alpha

Gear owned
Dr-44wl
Hi!
I have bought today a new tascam dr-44wl and two lavalier microphones (
1) the t.boneBodymiKe - Black EW and 2) Line6 LM4-4) The problem is that tracks 3 and 4 don't record anything while tracks 1 and 2 (internal microphones) records very well. I have tried with another external microphone with xlr cable and phantom power 48V and tracks 3 & 4 work fine.
I tried with the t.boneBodymiKe - Black EW and Line6 LM4-4 doing many different settings (mic or mic+phantom power 24V or 48V) but nothing. I'm very disappointed... Does it have to do with to kind of cable? (t.boneBodymiKe - Black EW and Line6 LM4-4 have trs cable) Does it have to do with the kind of microphones) (Are t.boneBodymiKe - Black EW and Line6 LM4-4 not suitable with Tascam DR-44WL?)
I would be appreciate if someone could help me. Please in simple english because I don't speak good enough english

Last edited:
Those lavaliers are not wired to work with units like the DR-44WL, plain and simple.
The first clue is they have Tip Ring Sleeve plugs.

The t.bone is intended for use with a Sennheiser wireless system.
The Line6 LM4-4 is intended for use with a Line6 body pack transmitter.

I imagine the Ring contact of those microphones is for carrying power, not audio.

The DR-44WL is wired for balanced mono. Anything with 3 conductors that is not carrying a correctly balanced mono is going to disappoint you. You might hear some distorted audio at low level. That's about it.

If they have 3 or more conductors and you don't know what that Ring contact is for, avoid it.
That means most microphones advertised for DSLR, camcorders, smartphones, etc.

This is an example of what you might be looking for in the same price range as the two you just bought. https://www.amazon.ca/Movo-LV4-Omnidirectional-Microphones-Windscreens/dp/B00PSQ84T0

Last edited:
Thank you very much Art Anderson!!!! Your reply is very
enlightening!!

New threads

Members online