Pulling my hair out... MOTU 2408 to DM4800 woes

Rockum

Veteran
From
Nashville, TN
Gear owned
DM4800, iffw
I noticed that the DM4800 was reporting that the incoming TDIF from my original 2408 was at 16bits.

I thought it might be my wiring. Replacing the wiring did not help... 16bits. I tried it again with another 2408... same problem. I read that the original 2408 had 24 bit throughput and I was using it to convert ADAT to TDIF, but in case the information was incorrect I tried it with a 2408 mk3 which is 24bit input, throughput, and output. The results were odd. The DM4800 was reporting that the incoming TDIF signal was still 16bit, but now the signal was also reported being 48k even though both units were connected to 44.1k wordclock. I tried with a second 2408 mk3 and same results.

Any ideas? Is there anyway to set the wordclock length (bit depth)? Anyway to set the outgoing sample rate?

Thanks...

Last edited:
Even more confused... in the clocking section the TDIF port is listed as being out of range, but when I press the Check:"Start" button it reports that the clock is incoming at 44.1k. So the DM800 is giving me 3 separate reports depending on the screen where I check... 44.1k, 48k, and out of range.

Running test with audio from mac using MOTU 2408 to DM4800 connected to windows DAW:

So even thought the 2408 says it is synced to 44.1 and the DM4800 reports (on signal info page) that it is coming in at 48.k, it sounds fine. The signal info page also says 16bit. However when the DAW analyzes the audio coming in via Firewire reducing the setting from 24bit to 16bit clearly makes a difference despite the fact that it is supposedly already 16bits.

What the heck is going on? Is the DM4800 good at dealing with the audio despite the fact that it can't correctly analyze it?

Sorry to possibly beat a dead horse especially if this is not of general interest, but I am stumped.

@Rockum Wish I could help brother. My Soundscape gear connects to my DM via TDIF. Unfortunately, All of my gear is disconnected at the moment as I am planning a rebuild of my room. Would that have been of any help? If so, I can always find a way and the time to hook things up if need be.

Last edited:
Thanks Peter,

To be honest, I am convinced (after ripping everything apart) that the DM4800 is simply not correctly reporting the information about the incoming TDIF data, but thankfully I think it is processing it correctly. I'll know more by tomorrow.

Reactions: Peter Batah
Yes, please keep us posted. Let me know if there is anything that you would like me try here at my end if necessary. Have a great weekend Rock!

The suspense is killing me... ;)

After testing I am convinced the DM4800 is receiving and correctly processing at 24 bits, despite the fact that it is reporting the signal to be at 16.

I Need routing motu 2408 to tascam dm 3200 diagram setup

Need more details... TDIF? ADAT? Are you using it in standalone mode? What is the sound sources passing through to the DM? Where are the outputs going as pass from the DM through the 2408?

I have a DM3200, when I had it connected to my 2408 MKII back in the day, it went as such.

TDIF 1-8. 9-16, 17-24 from: 2408 ----------- connected to DM3200 on the back

Set DM channels as such: ch.1/TDIF-1-8, yadda yadda yadda you get it

Connect WORDCLOCK (BNC cable from 2408 ------to DM3200 on back to keep sync between the two.

set in DM, in digital I/O (I believe) to receive at 44.1K/16 bit or 48K/24 bit, either or, then set in the 2408 as slave to what you chose.

Don't remember if I had to set up midi for PLAY, STOP, REW, but MOTU has always worked right out the gate (for me at least) Now that I think about it, you should'nt have too.

Now that I've eliminated it, and just use my Tascam FIREWIRE card to my computer and TC Companion , I have the same thing with less cables, however TC Companion only goes to 44.1/16 bit. Actually I've always worked there, cause no one can really tell the difference, it's in the music, not in the bits.
Only people who talk about resolution are other producers and music people who know about gear, the average joe only cares about good music.

This post is probably mute but, have you tried doing a factory rest on the 2408? I had a lot of problems on a unit I got off Ebay and did the rest and everything came back to life and worked perfectly. You can find the instructions for the reset on the MOTU forums and it;s quite simple.

New threads

Members online