From
Montreal, Canada
Website
www.cafejoya.com
Gear owned
DM4800 / MU1000
Hello all,

First time post.

I am considering the purchase of a used Tascam DM-3200. At this point all I have to go on is some photos and a conversation that I had with it's owner.

Is there any any advice that you can give me? Is there anything in particular that I should be looking for or specific questions that I should be asking.

Note: The unit has the additional Firewire and ADAT cards installed. The display has also been replaced recently.

Your time and assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

If you are visiting the owner to pick up the unit I would have it powered, take a mic and a cable and check each input. Also, running a full test can be useful, where also all buttons and faders are tested. Use the Diagnostic Test mode as illustrated below. To get into this mode (also factory reset here), power up the mixer while holding down SHIFT and OUTPUT ASSIGN 1 and 2 butons.

Diagnostic.png

Reactions: Peter Batah
Awesome advice Arjan. Can all the diagnostics be run at once? Or, do they have to be executed one at a time?

I appreciate it immensely.

If memory serves, they are done in the list order because they also require user interaction (touching faders, buttons etc.) . IIRC the display tells you what to do in each step.

Reactions: Peter Batah
Hello again Arjan. Of course what you said makes total sense. By the way, I did not mention that I plan on using the mixer alongside my Soundscape Red32 DAW. It too has 3 TDIF connectivity. I am not sure if you are familiar with the product. They were bought out by SSL but have recently decided to drop support and development of the product. Too bad, because it was / is rock solid. Thank you again for your valuable input. Much appreciated. Peter

Hello Fiber. Thanks for chiming in. Firewire card:
IF-FW/DMMKII

Thanks again Fiber. I have been out of the loop for quite a long time. At the risk of sounding like a dinosaur, the last mixer that I owned / used was a Soundcraft Series Two circa mid to late seventies.

So, to say that I face a steep learning curve would be an understatement.

I do have a question that perhaps you could help me answer. If I use the three TDIF output connectors but only have access to 16 mic ins on the DM-3200 how and what else could I route through to the remaining 8 TDIF outs.

Your time and guidance is greatly appreciated. Peter

Last edited:
You could route out the mic 16 inputs and any of the following:

- Duplicates of the 16 mix inputs
- Any incoming ADAT or TDIF channels
- Your effects
- Submix Buss
- Stereo Buss
- Aux Sends
- Oscillator test signals
- Channels' Direct Outs (different than the mic inputs because the are affected by compression, gates, faders, etc.)

Last edited:
Thank you for clearing that up for me Rockum. I really do appreciate it. Have a great day. Peter

The DM-3200 that I am looking to purchase is not in use at the moment. So, obviously that means that the DM is not connected to a PC or any other device for that matter. I was wondering if there is a way for me to test / diagnose the IF-FW/DMMKII expansion card without it actually being plugged into a PC. I plan on running through the tests that @Arjan P outlined in a previous post and the last thing that I need is to get back to my place only to find out the firewire expansion card is fried. Thank you very much. Peter

You don't happen to have an older laptop with firewire do you? Or a Mac Mini? Even an older iMac? If so I would install the Tascam drivers for iffw and take it over to test it out.

Thank you again for chiming in @Rockum I know that my daughter has a Macbook pro or a Macbook Air. I will ask her to check for the firewire port. Would it then just be a matter of installing the drivers as you mention. Where would I go from there? What would I be looking for? I also plan on taking along a microphone a a pair of headphones. I just have to figure out how to test each mic input. I will take the time to read through that section in the manual. Your input is immensely appreciated. Peter

Well I don't know the whole situation, but yes install the drivers. I would also:

- Take a USB cable (A B type) and install the TMCompanion software. It will let you see the inputs as well as hear them in your headphones and confirm the USB connection is working.

- Get a free copy of Tracktion 5. Install the software and create a 24 channel project. If your iffw is corrected properly, and your drivers are installed, you should be able to set the ins and outs for each of 24 of your 32 firewire channels corresponding to the mic line inputs. Then record your mic testing of each channel. When you are done play it back on separate channels of the DM. You'll know if the card is working.

Set up the routing like this: (Alt - Routing buttons)

INPUTS
1 - 24 = Mic Line
25 - 48 = iffw 1-24 (if 24 channels are working I think you can rest assured the card works)

OUTPUTS
1-24 of the iffw = mic line 1-24

Make sure all channels have stereo out selected so you can hear them.​

- Run all the internal diagnostic test

- Test each fader as you do the mic test.

- Stereo gang the faders in pairs and turn the vol up and down on each channel to make sure the motors are moving the companion faders along in parallel. (Hold select of first channel and then press second channel's select, confirm to pair.)

There's probably more, but that's all I can think of right now.

Good luck

@Rockum Amazingly helpful and insightful. Really appreciate it.

I checked with my daughter. Both her MacBook Pro and MacBook Air do not have a Firewire port.

When you say Take a USB cable (A B type) Do you mean the cable that is used with a printer for example.

Thank you @Rockum

There is also the matter of the CF reader. From some of the things that I have read it is very important that this function properly. And apparently, and I could be wrong, but it is possible that it may not be possible to find a replacement for the CF unit in the event that it should be defective or fail altogether. Have a great upcoming week. Be safe.

Yeah I read about someone having an issue with it. Mine had a loose part so I swapped it out for my broken for parts machine's.

One thing I should mention, and I hesitate to do so with this being the Tascam forum, but depending on the price you were preparing to pay for the DM3200, I would at least consider the Behringer X32. I use one at work. I don't want to switch my home setup over and I am happy with my Tascam board, but the Behringer board is smartly designed as well and not seemingly at the end of its life span. I say this with the thought that change is a pain, and I dread having to ever change to something else. Starting with a newer product might delay that for you. (I am presently changing lots of the setup in my studio and like I said... not fun.

I really appreciate the recommendation. I quickly searched the local classifieds for the Behringer X32 and they are still selling for more than I would be paying for the DM. I will definitely keep all of my options open though. Haven't bought anything yet. I sent the seller a list of things that I want to verify before going through with the purchase. Including the things that you and I have been discussing. I probably scared him off. If he doesn't get back to me in the next day or so, it would certainly set off a few red flags as far as I'm concerned. By the way, I did locate an older HP laptop (nx9420) that has an onboard Firewire connector. Thanks again. Have a good one. Peter

Last edited:
Reactions: Rockum
I must say, if I was the seller I'd also be scared off with such rigourous testing plans for something I vouch for is simply in working condition. If you must know about the IF-FW/DM mk2, a simple connection to the firewired laptop with the IF-FW driver installed should suffice to indicate 'locked'. That's all you need to know, I don't see the point in creating a complete recording studio before buying.

For the 16 mic inputs - if you have a mic and headphones, the real trouble can be identified easily by checking the clarity of incoming voice audio, turning the gain knob for lack of crackling and ofcourse the pad and line switch for functionality.

The CF card functionality can be tested by going to the Utility > System screen and/or Manage Project screen. See DM manual page 24 to 28. If these pages are showing projects (or at least one active project) the mixer is not crippled by the above mentioned probem. Just leave the CF card where it is and don't touch it.

New threads

Members online