Question about sending Sd card to a pro mixing person

snappy

Gear owned
Dp32sd
While figuring out the intraceses of mixing and mastering I would like to merely record all my tracks dry and then give my sd card to a buddy that has tracked, mixed and mastered for me in the past and have him do it.
When I asked him about this he said he doesn't have an input for an sd card.
I just accepted that answer and we moved on to other topics.
Its a "real" recording studio.
He has the latest gear and version of pro tools.
I thought I could just mail the sd card and he would be able to open it up and manipulate the tracks from there.
Is there a device I could buy and send him-or he could buy and I would reimburse him-to make this happen
You all talk about uploading tracks to a computer and mixing etc from there.
I was surprised by his answer.
What magic device do we need knowing
**I cannot see him in person all I can do is send the sd card.

Assuming you have access to a computer - reference section 13 of the user's manual:

1) Export each track (sometimes called a "stem") from the Audio Depot folder to a common folder on your computer. Or you can remove the card, insert into the SD card slot of your computer, and copy/paste the tracks/stems to a folder that way.

2) Upload each track/stem file from the computer to a free "cloud based" file sharing service like Google Drive or Dropbox. These will typically go into a common folder in the "cloud".

3) "Share" that folder with your friend and he should be able to download all the stems into his DAW - they should line right up.... and away he goes with mixing and mastering.

Should be a snap. I've done this many times.

Last edited:
@snappy Unless your friend has a DP machine, or, you've exported the files, sending the SD card won't give your friend the tracks he needs. David's procedure is perfect. If you follow that, your friend will have what he needs to mix.

If you need another option, you can send the tracks to me, and I'll do a mix for you.

Just to clarify David's Step 1. You are Using the DP-32SD Export function to get your raw tracks into Audio Depot. This creates the .wav files your friend needs for further processing. You then copy (or move) the exported .wav files as David described. Your raw tracks remain on the DP-32SD's SD card in the song folder.

Thanks gentlemen.
I do not have a computer but I can always get someone here locally to follow the steps to do it.
*Thank you mjk for the offer of doing a mix. There is a good chance that I will take you up on that offer at some point in the future.
That was very generous.
*My time in the studio (50+ times)-I am first and foremost a drummer but play other instruments too-before digital, dating back to tape, I always was an advocate of leaving the mixing to someone else (sure I might have some input but its good to have someone emotionally detatched to just do their thing).
It would be interesting to hear your take in addition to my own.
*I have a lot to learn -questions sure to follow after attempting to sift thru videos, the manual and the tips you all have provided -and do look forward to the endeavor.
I am at the base of Mount Everest but it appears as though this is a forum full of Himalayan Sherpa guides. :)

Last edited:
@snappy Use the Audio Depot function per the manual (and the forum) and export all the tracks you want included in the mixdown. At that point you could give the SD card to someone to copy the files from the Audio Depot folder to a cloud service folder for sharing.

Alternately, you could use your mobile device with a card reader.

I'm also from the tape era. I started out in front of the glass and ended up behind it, lol. I'm currently recording tracks for an album, and was planning on having my friend in NY mix for me. As work progressed, I realized that the expense of mixing an entire album justified the purchase of a new digital console with an interface and full dynamics and effects. So, now I have mixing capability (with moving fader automaton) in my studio (I have 2 consoles!). In the old days I mixed my own records so I'm really happy to be back in business so to speak.

When you get your tracks placed on a cloud service, I'd like to do a mix for you (no charge) and see what I can do with it. Mixing is a lot of fun for me as long as I can do it with knobs and faders! Same goes for recording.

Mjk. I believe that's what's known as a "Godfather offer".
...a deal you can't refuse.
Accepted and will be in touch regarding this once all the hoops have been jumped thru.
-I can't take something for nothing so expect funds for a nice dinner for your time upon completion.

Last edited:
Your Buddy's computer should have a usb port.
Tell him to get a portable SD card reader that plugs into his usb port. If he has a studio that uses computers, this would be a small (but useful) investment for his studio. Sometimes these usb-based card readers are as cheep as $20.

Then just give your buddy the SD card. Or you can pick up a portable SD card reader and send it along with your SD Card.

Reactions: Caveman and snappy
@lastmonk that will only work if he has exported the files to the Audio Depot.

Reactions: snappy
@snappy how are things going? Do you have your tracks prepared?

@robert monahan that is one of the nicest things anyone has ever said to me. I appreciate that. Like any imperfect person though, I've said some unfortunate things at times. Of course I'd like to take those things back. Thanks for overlooking my mistakes Robert. Welcome to the Tascam Forums!

New threads

Members online

No members online now.