QUESTION FOR: Redbus or Muziekschuur

wolf

Veteran
Gear owned
2 SX-1 LE+ DVRA1000 CD-01U
I usually post on the SX-1 site, but this question concerns the X48...my 2nd SX bit the dust and I have everything backed up to CD's (and the hard drive that was used in the SX)...can the X48 read the b/u CD and Import my files so I can finish working on them? in other words, if I placed the b/u CD's into the CD tray of the X48, would I be able to Import my projects?
thanks

Maybe it's time to move to a DAW based system. If those files are in WAV format and you can get them to a PC you can simply import them into a DAW project.

I backed the files up to CD's on the SX-1 and there still on the hard drive...I'm pretty sure that they're not in WAV format...

Apparently, taken from the Tascam sites:

SX-1:
Uses Standard Broadcast WAV Files

X-48
Uses Time-stamped Broadcast WAVE file format

I believe both should work on the X-48, but feel free to correct me.

Have a look at the CD's directory on a PC, and see if they have a ".WAV" extension...

the CD directory shows that the type of file is BU File (.bu)...there's nothing indicating that it's a .WAV

.bu would indicate a backup file. I think this may be data compression backup, and only re-constructed through another sx-1, in which case you are out of luck, unless you can borrow or rent one. You would then have to re-save them as wav, and these are recognized universally. I will do some digging and see if there is any software to convert from .bu to .wav. The sx-1 forum may be your best bet also for ideas on this. Is there no one from Tascam who could shed some light on this?

that's why I was asking for Redbus to help or Muziekschuur, who was an SX user and moved to the X48...and I already posted the same question on the SX-1 forum, but didn't get any responses...
can I use an mx2424 with my SX-1 hard drive and from there, save the files as .wav?

From the MX2424's manual:

The MX-2424 writes all its files as “open .TL” files. These when backed up are seen as “.BU” files, (Back Up). Only the MX-2424, the SX-1, E-Magic’s Logic Audio or Steinberg’s Nuendo, support the opening of these “open .TL” files. Tascam offers no support of “open .TL” files in Logic or Nuendo.

From the X-48 Manual:

Importing a Project The X-48 can import an Open TL project. This function can only be accessed form the mouse and keyboard – it's not possible to import a file using the front panel LCD.

Another cost effective option would be to post a request asking if any SX-1 users would be willing to convert your CD's to the WAV format. Someone on the forum might help for a nominal fee or out of kindness.

This is only my opinion but I would suggest moving to either the DAW environment or a standalone unit like the DP32. Bouncing from one discontinued product to another is only going to continue giving you grief. FYI- The X48 has been discontinued and has been replaced by the DA-6400.

I can't back anything up through the Ethernet because my SX is dead...I only have the b/u discs and the hard drive...that's why I'm thinking of getting an MX2424...

I think your only options are the ones I stated in my previous response.

In Summary:
  • Spend money on a used MX2424 or X48 and maybe your projects will import correctly (documentation seems to show it's possible).
  • Buy a working SX-1 or repair one of the two you already own.
  • Have a SX-1 user convert your projects to WAV files and move on to a newer and supported solution.
If it were me, I'd try the last option first and save my money for a new and thought out solution. Again, just my opinion.

what I need help with is to figure out if the X48 can read the b/u discs or not...I was under the impression that the MX2424 could read the SX hard drive, but I would prefer the X48...
I'm not going to ask someone to b/u 34 projects to their SX and then back them up again to their computer and then burn b/u discs for me...each project has between 24 and 32 Tracks and would take a very long time...that's not a viable solution...as far as I know, the X48 won't work unless I convert the files to .wav and the mx2424 will work with the SX hard drive...
one of my SX's was dismantled and sold and the 2nd one is ready for dismantling...I have no way of knowing what's wrong with it since it's completely dead...it won't even turn on anymore...I have it on eBay for parts...
I have thought this out and I have to save my projects and complete work on them...8 of the projects aren't even my songs and I doubt the artist will want me sending their songs to someone else to be backed up...and like I said, it would take a very long time...
the MX2424 is not the ideal choice, but there aren't any SX-1's at an affordable price right now, so it's my only option...
after I finish this batch of songs, I'll be looking for another set up, but at the moment, I have to do what ever works...

If I understand correctly, the SX-1 back ups are considered to be in the "Open TL" format which have the BU file extensions.
If that statement is correct and I'm interpreting the information that I posted from the manuals correctly, then it APPEARS that both the MX2424 and the X48 should be able to import your SX-1 projects and from there you can export your tracks as WAV files.

Also, I wasn't suggesting you ask someone to do your conversions for free. It's still an option if you're willing to pay someone for their time and the price is right which could end up being cheaper than purchasing old hardware just to convert your projects to a standard audio format.

You could call Tascam support and see what they say as well.

how would I be able to determine if the discs are in "Open TL" format?

It's in the quotes from the manuals I provided in my original post...

The MX-2424 writes all its files as “open .TL” files. These when backed up are seen as “.BU” files, (Back Up). Only the MX-2424, the SX-1, E-Magic’s Logic Audio or Steinberg’s Nuendo, support the opening of these “open .TL” files.

The X48 appears to be able to import this file format as well...as I quoted earlier.

And don't forget the other 'options' in that statement: Logic and Nuendo. Possibly older versions of those programs, but who knows? It may be a lot easier than going back and forth between obsolete hardware.

I checked the discs yesterday and posted that they are .bu files...and I would be using the MX2424 or X48 to finish work on my projects...

Wolf, I agree with Cmaffia and he is echoing the info I sent you. The SX1 records in broadcast wave files but saves projects in the Open TL format when packing projects as backup files. The bu files comtains the wave files as well as the other files and settings thatprovide information about the project. As Cmaffia points out, the manual clearly states that the X48 can import the .BU file which is in the Open TL format.

so, I can put the b/u discs into the X48 DVD/CD tray and restore the projects?
sorry about all the questions, but I just need to be 100% certain about this before I buy the unit..
I called Tascam and sent an email, but there's been no reply...
I don't want to buy an X48 and find out that it can't restore the projects or that they won't restore correctly...

Wolf, I believe we answered all of your questions and then some. No one can give you 100% certainty if your discs will load. Were the backups corrupted or have the discs been damaged or degraded since which would make loading impossible? Will there be issues with the DVD/CD drive of the used X48 you will be purchasing? Too many variables to give you 100% certainty and this is why I again suggest moving to a supported and sustainable platform after you get your WAV files back. Hope you get it all sorted out and let us know how things work out.

I'm pretty sure that you know what I mean...but if you don't, what I mean is, will the X48 work with the b/u discs from the SX-1...without any variables? so far everyone has said that it will "probably work" or it "should work"...and some said that it "would not work at all"...and still others have said to go a different route because the SX-1, MX2424 and X48 are outdated...and that may be, but I can't afford to lose these projects and the Tascams are the best choice for saving them...
and that's why I was posing the question to Redbus (because he worked on these units) and Muziekschuur (because he had an SX and went to the X48)...
without any variables, the hard drive and discs are intact, I want to be 100% sure that the X48 can restore my projects...if not, I'll probably wind up buying another SX-1...I love the SX and if there was one at a good price, I'd swoop it up right now...as it is, I have to wait a few weeks to scrape up the money for any new rig...
someday, I'll buy a different set-up, but right now, it's has to be a Tascam that can save my work...

New threads

Members online

No members online now.