Question for TascMan or anyone.

kevin higgins

Gear owned
dm24 dm3200
Hi Tascman, thanks again for your in depth reply regarding effects routing of Sept. 2nd. You seem to be well versed on the Dm 3200. Here's what's going on: I bought the mixer used about a month ago. It seems like literally every function is fine except the encoder mode buttons. They seem to have absolutely no effect at all. The first one as you know is pan. The second one, as you explained, should give me auxillary send control. For example, playing back a guitar track on channel one and wanting to apply reverb, if I understood you correctly, I should hit the second button of Encoder Mode which is Aux. Cool . That implies all the little red lights at the bottom of the encoders should disappear except #5 because I set my aux sends for effect #1 as 5&6. My problem is my mixer just stays in panning mode. No matter what buttons I press or combination of buttons in E. M. i.e. shift ot ctrl plus Encoder Mode buttons, the mixer stays in panning. I went into Diagnostics and tried the buttons test. All buttons blinked and I think would disappear until I hit the E. M. buttons. Nothing. No response. Any ideas? Does anything have to be enabled? Weird. Thanks Man. Best Regards, Kevin

Hey Kevin, gotta think about this one. If you felt ok with doing a factory reset, that will clear any unknown settings and reset the encoders back to expected status. What did you mean by E. M.?

Duh, Encoder Mode.....just got it, sorry.

Everything you wrote is correct. I don't know why, yet, your encoders are not going to AUX control when AUX is selected.
You have probably checked it, but do you have "FLIP" enabled? If so, press it again and see if that helps.

Last edited:
Hey, thanks for writing. I'm glad you got my "E.M". Yup, Encoder Mode. Yeah, multiple factory resets. Thanks for caring. Seriously. Best, Kevin

So, as I understand it, NO encoder mode buttons work? It just stays in PAN all the time?

The only thing I can think of is that the encoder IC board has come unplugged from within. If you are up to it, it would be worth a check. There's NO reason for the encoder buttons to have absolutely no effect, especially after multiple factory resets.

I'm waiting on bated breath, I would like to check a few connections inside of my
DM. Please keep us posted on how and what you see and do!

Start Here:

http://www.2seemy.com/

Click on INSTALL /DM3200. Follow the pictures. Maybe buy a 2seemy card while you're there.

Sorry to bump this older thread, but I wanted to respond with new information to the O.P. ...

Kevin, when you were experiencing the encoder mode problems, were you in the REMOTE Layer? If so, try going to one of the first few layers and see if you are having the same problem.
You can't access AUX send/Pan or module EQ from the remote layer (unless you have a "user Defined" layer set up).

I'm hoping that you haven't torn apart your board looking for a loose connector yet...

Last known photo of Kevin...
E-waste-recycler_tn.jpg

Reactions: captdan
LOL!! Neck deep in a pile of used storage!!

Sorry to bump this older thread, but I wanted to respond with new information to the O.P. ...

Kevin, when you were experiencing the encoder mode problems, were you in the REMOTE Layer? If so, try going to one of the first few layers and see if you are having the same problem.
You can't access AUX send/Pan or module EQ from the remote layer (unless you have a "user Defined" layer set up).

Bingo!

Bingo? Did that help you too rq?

It's not clear to me what "Bingo" or "Familiar" means. Did you resolve the issue? If so, was it due to a loose cable? Were you trying to control EQ and AUX in the Remote Layer or User Defined Layer?

Nothing at all! I'm just saying I've had similar situations and he answered the question right-on.

So you have no issues now...fixed? :)

Oh, I have issues!Haha, I'm not positive but I don't think I can trigger the solo/mutes properly from the DM, and by properly I mean not 100%, I don't think the DM's LED's light up accordingly on the DM-4800. I did sell the DM-3200 and all is good but but thats not what i'm here for today. I have one more question that maybe concerns Pro Tools but anyone should know this info. I have a couple of laptops that I'm trying to test out with the DM-Firewire-PT to see which may be better suited. Is it sufficient to simply put record on 32 tracks (no signal) and let the laptop run for an hour or do I actually need to be processing information into those 32 tracks to get a proper read? in other words is it more taxing for your computer to be converting analog into 1's and 0's?
Here's my input on it. I used to think that it would take more 'space' on a hardrive to record a video than lets say a letter to your mom.(all being relative) But I believe memory is linear and it would take the same amount of space to record a 3 min song as it would to record a 3 min video, correct??? Another example, it takes the same amount of memory to record a bass guitar playing 1/4 notes as it would recording a whole drum track (on 1 channel) playing 32 notes (many more hits, etc, same length) I also wonder it I'm getting into hard drive compression and stuff. :rolleyes:

New threads

Members online

No members online now.