Recently acquired DM3200 - firmware bump to iron out

Paddythemac

From
Boussais, Deux-Sevres, France
Gear owned
DM3200
Hi all,
I picked up my DM3200 with IF-FW/DM mkII a few weeks ago, but only recently installed, so first post at last! I wanted to get my head round the basics before posting for help on here and so far so good (but I've only scratched the surface, so...;)). Running Logic 10.3.1 on a 2011 MacBook Pro through El Capitan 10.11.6. I have audio I/O using the FW card no problem (bit of a latency issue on overdub, but I'm working on that) and the basic DAW control (over USB not FW??), so all good so far.. I think..

Couple of questions, so any info, experiences might help me here, plz ..

Using latest downloads from Tascam site, I've updated DM3200 firmware to 1.70 no problem. FW driver installed is 1.30f10 & as indicated above, all seems to be working OK. FW card Firmware version comes up in Control Panel as 1.02; as the latest version on Tascam site is 1.10 I wanted to update to that. However, I downloaded "FirmwareUpdater_1.10_88685_Release" and launched it, but it comes up with the error "no device found" when I hit the "update" button. As I said, card works fine, CP shows status as "locked", but updater can't find a card to update. No options apparent to tweak, so any ideas..?
I'm usually of the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality, but I've read a couple of threads re Sierra compatibility, and I would ideally like to move to that before I get into the next serious project, so I'd imagine it would be best to update the FW card at this point & I'll get that job done first.

DAW related question next, basic transport & fader control I got working over USB, but is there any way to map more Logic functions to the machine control functions buttons on the desk?

Next job, figure out the routing system... wish me luck!

Paddy

Congratulations Paddy. Wish I could help with some of your questions. However, I too recently purchased a DM-3200. Quite the learning curve but I embrace the challenge as I am certain that you are doing as well. All the best on your journey. Peter

Hi Peter, thanks for the welcome! Hope you're having as much fun with yours as I am.. o_O. It's way beyond what I've been used to recently - though I do have experience of some big analog desks in the dim distant past - but I think I like it so far...
As I posted, I have it working more or less properly (I think!), so there are no urgent issues at the moment. Having done a bit of research, I've decided to hold off the OS X Sierra upgrade for now anyway, as I have other apps I need to use (i.e. Adobe CS5) that don't work with it - and I'd much rather invest in my Audio setup upgrade at this point ;)! I'd like to update the firmware on the card sometime though, as this sort of thing brings out the nerd in me & bugs a bit.
For info ,I did a bit of trawling & I'm think I read somewhere (probably on here..?) that the firmware installer has a problem with OS X 9 or 10 onwards (not sure on which iteration), so I think if I could install from a machine with an older OS, it may actually see the card & therefore update the firmware. Either that, or if someone has an alternative way of doing it, I'd appreciate a nudge in the right direction...

Hi cmaffia, thanks for that, I'll follow that thread. Another evening's entertainment lined up!

Don't worry about updating the firmware from V1.02 to V1.10 . It only fixes one issue with the card not being recognized after a cable disconnect. If you never disconnect the cable with power ON, you'll never run into it, and it was rare anyway.

The firmware updater requires the V1.10 driver to be used as well, and that means using a Mac/PC that supported an older OS for V1.10 to run.

Hey thanks for the heads up, always good to have this kind of information. Tascam have kind of abandoned the board, it seems.. Sierra drivers are still "in development", so I'm not holding my breath on that update any time soon. Given what you say, there are a few other components which would need updating and I have things running OK on the latest incarnation of Sierra anyway, so being an "if it ain't broke.." kind of guy, I'll leave things as they are for now!

New threads

Members online

No members online now.