Recording electric guitar

Discussion in 'Digital Pocketstudios and Compact Portastudios' started by MRE78, May 16, 2019 at 4:28 PM.

1. MRE78

MRE78 New Member

Gear:
    Tascam do-006
    I have a Tascam dp-006. I’ve been recording with the internal mics, but would like to go electric. Would anyone familiar with this device list the step by step process? I would really appreciate the help!
    I feel like I may be missing some crucial step or perhaps lacking a piece of needed equipment. Thanks in advance!
  2. SocProf

SocProf Member

Gear:
    DP-24SD
    Do you want to mic up an amp, or go direct from an effects box? I have a Zoom G5n multi-effect, and I plug the output straight into my DP24SD.
    MRE78 likes this.
  3. Jim D

Jim D New Member

Drexel Hill Pa
    Gear:
    488 MKII, DP 24
    As said above depends on how you want to do it. I have not used an amp in years when recording. You can go direct into the DP -06 or run through any type of effects box and then into the DP.
    MRE78 likes this.
  4. MRE78

MRE78 New Member

Gear:
    Tascam do-006
    Thanks guys. I’d like to record using a direct line. If I plug my guitar into input A, shouldn’t I then be able to run another line from input B to my guitar amp? But that doesn’t seem to work...

My recording settings are set to “guitar/line” and the button on the left side is set to “guitar”.
  5. Jim D

Jim D New Member

Drexel Hill Pa
    Gear:
    488 MKII, DP 24
    If I understand you correctly and you are using an amp you have to use a mic. The mic would go into the DP input. Unless your amp has an output for a second cabinet hook up. Then from that go into the DP. Not sure if that would work but in theory it should.
    MRE78 likes this.
  6. SocProf

SocProf Member

Gear:
    DP-24SD
    MRE78 likes this.
  7. MRE78

MRE78 New Member

Gear:
    Tascam do-006
    Thanks for your help, guys. That helped clarify things.
  8. Arjan P

Arjan P Well-Known Member

Netherlands
    Gear:
    DM3200 IFFW
    Be careful before you do this! If the output is for a second cabinet it could be an amplified output in which case it can blow your DP input. Read up on your amp's specs.
    -mjk- likes this.
  9. Jim D

Jim D New Member

Drexel Hill Pa
    Gear:
    488 MKII, DP 24
    Good catch Arjan. I should have specified if the second output was only as a slave and not amplified.
    Arjan P likes this.