Recording live event w/ DP24sd

Bravohorn1

Gear owned
DP 24SD
Hi all .
Its been awhile, but I've been very active. I need some advice quickly. I'm recording a live event tomorrow night, and I want to use my DP24. It's pretty Cut and dry. It's strictly gonna be a miked event. With just the one high z plug I can't do both guitar and base, or can I? I'm recording a 4 peice blues band in a large tent type enclosure.

1) Electric Piano
2) Base
3) Drums
4) Electric Guitar

A PA system, and amps will be the source of sound.

Questions:
1) Should I record to one track only, or several
2) What distance should I set my mic's from sound. Some in back of venue, with some up close. In the middle, and some close to drummer.
3) Should gain be set high, and do faders play a roll
4) Should I use my mixer , and how/where do I connect it to the DP24

It's nothing fancy. I'll be using no effects, just raw, but these guys are the best blues band in the PNW, so they don't flubb.

Any quick advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated. This isn't a critical performance on my part, I'm just doing this for experience, and a favor...

Thanks again,
bravohorn1@gmail.com

Bravo, with all due respect.... Tomorrow night? You're asking someone to instruct you both in recording engineering techniques, plus, how to use the machine for an event tomorrow? That's not going to happen.

Basically....

Use all inputs. Use separate tracks. Get as much as you can. Get a mix off the console, if available. Get room mics if you can. Any sub-mixes off the live console would be good. Work with the live sound engineer. Ask s/he if they have sends for groups. If you could get stereo pairs like this, it would be good:

1: all vocals A/B
2: guitars/keys C/D
3: drums/bass E/F
4: 2 room mics G/H

Use tracks 1 - 8

Faders are for monitoring only.

That would do it I think. Give yourself headroom! -12 peaks.

Bravohorn - the input H hi-z "Guitar" setting is only for when you plug an electric guitar or bass DIRECTLY into the DP - with a single cord. If these guys have amps... you'll want to use input H as a normal input and capture everything with microphones.

If the bass player has a DI out on his amp (many do) - grab that to any track of your choosing.

Hey, and thanks for responding. Believe me please. I fully understand how inadequate my skills are. I've spent a lot of time in studio working with individual artists, but never with a whole band at once, and never live. I would not ever accept a request to, or even offer to professionally engineer a live concert recording gig. The musicians in this band are personal friends, and their allowing me to record this event simply to learn. If I can achieve a recording of value then we'll use it for promotion. I've turned down several opportunities to do this simply because of my lack of knowledge, so yes I respect your advice very much. So simply setting up say 6 to 8 microphones strategically around the stage/ room to try and capture a decent set wouldn't cut the mustard. BTW there won't be a sound guy at this event.

Thanks

Reactions: -mjk-
Hi Bravo. We know you're humble guy. Just do your best.

As a long time pro audio guy, this advice is free, but I had to earn it: sometimes, you just have to say no. Otherwise, you may risk exposure. Right now, those guys are your friends. You botch a live recording and they may turn on you like a pack of dogs! Trust me on this: It's way better for them to suffer the temporary disappointment of your refusal, than for you to have to live with a bad recording. Let me put it more simply:

You're only as good as your last record.

Bravohorn, left you a PM. hope it helps.
Best of luck.

Reactions: -mjk-
Bravo, was my mike placement info and the link to the related live performance recordings that I PM'd you helpful at all?

What technique(s) did you decide to use ultimately to record the blues band?

New threads

Members online

No members online now.