Recording tracks from the DAW side to our M12?

Up457

Gear owned
Tascam M12
Hi! This is my first post here. Being old time users from the 244 days, we're now happy to be back in the field. So, here's my first questions:

When having our M12 connected to the DAW/Computer via USB, is it possible to record stuff in Cubase, using virtual instruments? Of course we're also happy to be able to record tracks directly to our M12, but here i'm talking about some old software plugins, like keyboards or synth bass, which we would havve to use this way.

We would also like to edit tracks in Cubase, and when done, record or send them over to the M12, to do the mixing. Or is it also possible doing the mixing in Cubase, if needed (just out of interest, we're aiming to mix on the M12 mainly)?

Another question, do we need to use a very new version of Cubase or Cubase Elements (if that is sufficient)? We are planning to record on a Windows 10 64-Bit system, as a side info. Has it to be VST2 oder VST3 or either of them?

Ok, i will do that. I've already checked a bunch of Youtubes, but none of them addressed this topic directly, so far. Thanks!

Sorry, those videos do not really answer any of my questions in detail. Which minimum Cubase is required. Our Cubase is maybe 20 years old. Will it work with that? Or do we have to buy a current version? Is Cubase essentials enough?

Last edited:
Who knows what version of Cubase is gonna work? 20-year-old software seems to be a recipe for destruction and disaster.

However, yes. The Model 12 (although my familiarity is with the Model 24) is both an audio interface and a mixer and its ability to be a front-end mixer for any DAW is fantastic. I think, however, at least for me, what you're asking for is fundamental to the function of the Model 12. It seems as if the cart is way ahead of the horse at this point. I'd beyond doubt break out the manual and get what and how this unit performs as it's extremely deep. powerful tool that very little rivals in its capabilities. However, without a fundamental understanding of the unit, I'm afraid you're gonna flounder.

That said I'll try to get a start here. First, you must set up Cubase to recognize the Model 12. On a Mac it's automatic. On a PC, you're on your own but it's a fundamental process and easily found on the web. Once Cubase recognizes the Model 12 as an interface the i/o section of Cubase must be configured. Easy enough and plenty of info online. It's a 5-minute chore. The i/o section of any DAW is where the tunnel connectivity happens. Once understood and configured you'd then call up your software synths, record the softsynth in Cubase, and then route that recorded Cubase/Instrument back out to the Model 12 for mixing.

I'll say again though...this is a unit that demands understanding. Anything short of a solid foundation will continue to haunt. On the positive side, there is very little out there as encompassing and capable as the Tascam Models. They're simply brilliant.

Reactions: Max Relic
Ok, we will try it. Myself, i am only the studio musician. Just wanted to get as much infos ahead, as possible. My only experience is from very old days with the 244, which was in no way connected to PCs. Maybe i have to see our first session with the M12 in action, quite soon, to know what is possible. We used to record on the PC some while ago, and now it is something new, that our 'mixing board' is also capable of recording. So we can go both ways now. Looking forward to our first sessions after many years of pausing. Thanks!

If you haven't already done so, I recommend that you download the PDF and spend time reading it. PDFs can be searched and that really helps. I keep all of my OMs on my e-ink tablet so its' like reading a searchable book, similar to Kindle.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.