Remote recording

Keith D

Gear owned
DP32
Can I record tracks on my dp32 and send the card to my guitarist and have him lay tracks with a dp24?

No. Export the tracks with the Audio Depot and put them on a cloud storage solution such as Dropbox or Google Drive. Your guitarist can import them to his '24 and record the guitar tracks. Later, he can export only those new tracks and reverse the process so you can import them into the song on your machine.

Thank you. Sounds like he is going to upgrade to a dp32. So at that point we can either send the sd cards across the country or go with the cloud storage correct?

Reactions: Stutz and -mjk-
Sure. You can do either.

For that matter, if you wanted to you could ship the entire machine around the world. But why would you want to? Why go to the expense and risk of sending your SD card? Not to mention that if you don't have a backup you're dead, and, while the SD card is not in your machine you can't do anything else with the song unless you make a duplicate SD card. Then of course you'll have 2 SD cards with different iterations of the song and have to mark them so you don't mix them up. What a mess! Why make extra work?

Nobody does that. Use the Audio Depot and export the tracks and send them over the internet. You will never lose your card and you won't have to keep track of anything except the audio files. Your friend can import your tracks, do his thing and export only the new tracks he's recorded. You download them and import them into the Song. This is extremely easy to do but a surprising number of people resist using the Audio Depot for some unknown reason.

I mix a lot of records and so far, no one has sent me a hard drive or an SD card.

You can do your friend a favor by offering to use your storage solution. I always set up a shared Google Drive folder for my studio clients.

I also do a lot of long distance recording collaboration. File sharing through Google Drive, Dropbox, etc... is the way to go. Never had a problem. Not once.

You can send/receive individual performance tracks using Audio Depot import/export - or you can send the entire song file back and forth - whichever suits your needs/goals.;)

It's remarkable if you think about it.

In the early Zeppelin days - Jimmy Page and Co. would carry their tapes around while touring and add performances to the tapes as they could, as time and facility access allowed. How nerve wracking that must have been. I'm sure he marvels at the available tech of today.

Last edited:
In the early Zeppelin days - Jimmy Page and Co. would carry their tapes around while touring and add performances to the tapes as they could, as time and facility access allowed. How nerve wracking that must have been. I'm sure he marvels at the available tech of today.

My friend Steve Hunt (Alan Holdsworth's keyboard player) told me about a record he did with Alan. The 2" tape was send by courier to him for his keyboard parts, from Australia where the drummer had done his parts. I find it amazing that the tape was not destroyed in the shipping. But when Alan got it back in the UK it was good to go.

Agreeing fully with -mjk- and David Porter here. No need to send the SD card and risk getting lost or trashed. Keep the SD card safe and just send the files. It's a simple export to the Audio Depot folder and zip up the files needed to send to the remote musician. In fact, it's almost like being in the next room. Use the Internet and cloud storage for what it's for. It's faster, safer and overall better.

Maybe this illustration will help:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FC8cYywQTkXJM-BvKNDdH908uT-XnsMJ/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
Yeah, @Tom Boyles where have you been all my life? Your illustrations are a great help. Thank you so much for taking your valuable time to make things clearer for the forum users.

I'd like to make another point (not specifically connected with your infographic) is that one must keep track of what is in the Audio Depot and clean it out when finished with a particular operation.

The Digital Portastudios will never overwrite a file in the Audio Depot. The machine adds a numerical sequence to a filename if you try to export the same track if there is already a file from that track in the Audio Depot.

Another point is that the Audio Depot is a single folder/directory on the SD card and it will contain all the files you've exported from all your songs. After a few operations you will end up with lots of files in the Audio Depot and it might get confusing. I have a couple of studio clients that will send tracks to me they've created on a DP machine. But each time they send tracks, they send the entire contents of the Audio Depot so now I have 3 of 4 copies of every track they've exported. When that happens I have to look at the filename and pick the latest version based on the number added to the filename.

So, after you have exported your tracks and done your thing with sending them off, please go ahead and delete the contents of the Audio Depot. There is no danger in doing that as they are nothing more than copies of what is already on your machine. This would also apply to using the Audio Depot in conjunction with some of my well-documented DP production techniques.

Tom Boyles said:
Maybe this illustration will help:

I agree with -mjk-, your illustrations are really helpful -- and always well done! Kudos to you.

-mjk- said:
I'd like to make another point (not specifically connected with your infographic) is that one must keep track of what is in the Audio Depot and clean it out when finished with a particular operation.

The Digital Portastudios will never overwrite a file in the Audio Depot. The machine adds a numerical sequence to a filename if you try to export the same track if there is already a file from that track in the Audio Depot.

Great info shared by -mjk- about the Audio Depot, thanks!

With resources like these, plus my how-to guide from Phil T -- "how can I not" get the maximum use and enjoyment from my Tascam DP?

Now if I could just fully get over Covid and get all my energy back.............
(3 of us traveled for work last week -- all 3 of us got it...)

Old No7

For anyone ingerested, I use WeTransfer for studio file transfers. They offer up to 2GB free for transfer to a group of email addresses or create a hyperlink that you can send to anyone who needs to download. The uploaded file(s) will stay active for 1 week. That is what I like about it: no need to create accounts and do household cleaning of the cloud storage, like with Dropbox or Google Drive. www.wetransfer.com

New threads

Members online

No members online now.