Replacing headphone volume control on Portastudio DP-01FX/CD

fullait

Gear owned
Tascam DP01
Has anyone replaced the vol control? Does it plug in or is it soldered in place. It looks like it plugs/snaps into place?

In case anyone is interested, I changed it today. It's soldered in place with the 2 outside tabs and 5 or 6 prongs. The fun is getting the solder off of the circuit and getting the holes open to install the new control. I kept cleaning the tip of the iron and used a steel wire to poke the holes open while heating. The clean iron sucked up most of the solder. You have to remove the circuit but don't need to disconnect any wire leads.

Reactions: DJ X
It doesn’t seem this was a popular thread, but you’re not alone in having to have repaired that volume pot. I have to replace that same pot but I don’t have a part number. Would you have any info on what the part number or name is and possible places to purchase it? Thanks

Installing a part is just a matter of removing the lead around the component lead. In the service business which I have in one way or another been involved with my entire career, Technicians unsolder parts using the Edsyn Solder Pullt suction device or the more expensive way of Solder wick. There are Pace work stations that cost over $1000 but also cheaper items like the Hakko.
For a few parts now and then the Edsyn will work great. I have been using them for 40 years and I think it is the same ones I started with. Don't be fooled by Chinese cheap imitations as they usually break in the first 10 minutes of use. They are junk and a waste of a person's money.

As to the part number it will do you no good as Teac has sent all Teac parts to Onkyo and they will not sell to consumers. So for the DIY person that just removed all Teac parts from these people. Talking about a way to piss off customers so that they don't buy your new stuff both Teac and Sony know how to do that.

Unless something has changed in the last two weeks,Teac in Montebello Ca. is still selling Tascam parts. Parts@ teac.com

They took all Teac parts and sent them to Onkyo who will not sell to regular people only authorized service shops. The service shops I have talked to don't want to have anything to do with Onkyo as you have to service their warranty junk.
Tascam is still at the old Teac parts but how long do you thing this will last since they did that to Teac parts- I suspect the quantities are running down and they are about to close up. It cost too much to remain selling a few parts here and there.

I wish them to be in business a long time but the writing is on the wall. I have to face the realities in the service business. At least Teac held out for this long- a once great company dies a slow death.

New threads

Members online