Replacing the screen. Unknown RA-LIF ribbon connector

Jean-Pierre Pineau

From
Rimouski (Quebec) Canada
Gear owned
Tascam DM-4800 and stuff
Hello!

Long time no see... :p
I am into an overhaul process of my DM4800. I should have some questions posted in the coming days.

First, I have bought this replacement screen from that eBay seller, some of you had to deal with in the past. The guy is responsive, actually, but seems to have some difficulties with written English... and I am speaking French, usually.

My first problem is that I am stuck facing the ribbon connector attached to the stock display. The thing, a RA-LIF type connector, does not collaborate at all. Does it need a special tool to disconnect the cable? Pulling? Upside or sideways? Are there moving parts like others have? I have tried different level of force, inspected the connector, searched the Internet and so on. I am sure it's easy as hell, but I don't get it... I had a look at the one soldered on the new screen and cannot find either. I am about to ask for a drawing :rolleyes: LIF means "Low Insertion Force"... and I am to the point of calling a towing. :p

Hoping for your tips. Again!

Thanks in advance!

@Jean-Pierre Pineau Bonjour Jean-Pierre. I am not sure if this is related or not. But, I recently installed a 2Seemy display expansion card into my DM-4800 and do not recall having any difficulty with any of the ribbon cables. Perhaps, the procedure is not similar to what is required in your particular case.

Hello Peter!

AMOF, I got myself out of trouble with this task. I had some fear to break the cable or a connector. The easy answer was simply to pull gently the ribbon cable from its receptacle. No moving pieces on that connector, Just too bad the new screen has some flaws though. I am currently discussing about this issue with the seller who still remains soft and polite... for the moment. Given his reputation as reported here, I am curious to see how we will get thru this. The display is clear and really readable, though, which solves my initial problem. It is just the contrast (pitch angle) who does not function correctly but the screen remains readable from any angle when in front of the DM.

I'll post a video to show the end result.

The 2Seemy was an option I considered, but I have reduced my working space and find there are always too many things floating around.

Last edited:
@Jean-Pierre Pineau I too was a little concerned about screen real estate but am looking at purchasing a small 7 or 8 inch vga display which I hope will fit above the current defective display. Glad to see that you resolved your ribbon issue

New threads

Staff online

Members online