Restoring from DVD RAM drive problems

Rob f

From
Sussex, UK
Gear owned
2 x MX2424. MCI JH428B
Hello. I am tring to restore some sessons from DVD RAM to transfer the audio files to USB stick for someone. I am following the procedure from the pdf document. I have an issue in that when I insert the disc & close the tray the drive just spits the disc out almost immediately. Does anyone have any ideas ?

You assume correctly.

I'm wondering if the discs are compatible. My Panasonic drive says 4.7GB on the front. But the discs are 5.2gb double sided. i.e 2.6GB per side.

But many DVD drives can.. @Rob f, what's your specific Panasonic model?

Is the DVD RAM disc in a cartridge?

From wikipedia:
DVD-RAMs were originally solely sold in cartridges; recent DVD recorders can work with discs either with or without a cartridge, and many devices do not work with cartridges. Discs can be removed from cartridges for use with these drives (except with type 1 media, see table above).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-RAM

The discs are type 1 media in cartridges. Double-sided one layer discs with a capacity of 5.16 GB

The drive is a Panasonic LF-D207. It says 4.7GB on its fascia .

Actually I 've never used a double-sided DVD-RAM disc (and only a few times a single-sided 4,7GB disc), but as long as the disc is correctly set in the tray it shouldn't be ejected. Tried inserting the disc upside down, so the driver reads the side B?

The DVD-RAM drive in my unit is a Panasonic LF-D201. It's a 4.7GB drive too, so it accepts discs up to 9.4GB (4.7GB per side).

Here's some documentation on this model:
http://ie.rs-online.com/webdocs/008a/0900766b8008a28f.pdf
http://www.fixya.com/support/p376354-panasonic_lf_d201_dvd_ram_burner/manual-73055

Cheers.

I have tried all 4 discs on both sides. I'm unmounting the drives before inserting the discs as specified in the Tascam documentation.........

Ok, so randomly I can get the drive to read the DVD RAM disk. I now have another problem in that when I try to get the computer to boot with the RAM drive & a scsi disk, it doesn' seem to mount them both. I get the led under the stop button flashng quite fast. Does anyone know what that means ? None of the other buttons works at all.

Are they both scsi devices? You could have the same ID number on both if they are?

You could work around by copying the files to the computer then onto the scsi disc? That way only one needs to be mounted.

Don't know about the flashing light, thankfully I stayed away from the DVD ram option when I originally got my MX, I was tipped off about how slow and expensive they were by another studio that said it was a waste of money, so I chose another route.

Alan.

I've used different scsi I.D's because I have tried adding the scsi hard drive internally & externally because I have a couple of glyph racks where I can quite easily change the I.D.

The purpose of this exercise is to get the files from the RAM disk & onto a USB drive so the owner can use them in a DAW. Unfortunately you don't seem to get the option to copy the files from the RAM disc to the computer. It appears like you have to restore them to a drive connected to the MX.

I didn't spec the DVD Ram drives. Both the machines I have were second hand & both came with the DVD RAM drives. I have never used them myself (thankfully it seems). The purpose of this exercise is to get the files from the RAM disk & onto a USB drive so the owner can use them in a DAW

Do the files on the DVD ram show as a TL file? May have a little symbol like a globe (the earth). If so even if you copy this to a computer you need to use an open TL software (available from the tascam site or I have it) but I have had marginal success with it.

So what I imagine you are trying to do at the moment is to open the project on the DVD on an MX? Then you can export the wav files in the project to the computer so it can be opened on a DAW?

Don't know if this has something to do with your issue, but according to the Operational Tutorial, Narrow SCSI devices as a DVD-RAM always go at the physical end of the SCSI chain.
On the other hand , I've had some issues mounting HDs on my MX2424 due to a terminator not working properly.
Lastly, I'd check if both, the DVD-RAM disc and HD are using the same file system, either FAT-32 or HFS+.
Cheers.

I don't think it's possible to pull files directly from the RAM drive to a pc. The import/export option is greyed out when looking at the dvd ram.

I did read that 8 bit scsi needs to be on the end of the cable. However with the cable supplied with the mx it is hysically impossible to put the ram drive on the end, so it would have been supplied with it in 1st position.

It is possible that the Ramdisk is hfs, & I know that my drives are fat 32. SO maybe I will try reformatting a hard drive to hfs when I get a spare split second. Thanks for the tip.

I reformatted one of my disks to HFS+ & this seems to have done the trick. I'm currently restoring one of the dvd's to the hard drive. Thanks for the tip kzhus

New threads

Members online

No members online now.