Scribble strips, console tape... what do you do?

Rockum

Veteran
From
Nashville, TN
Gear owned
DM4800, iffw
How do you label your channels? Have you found a great system? I am trying different things and wondered what was working for others.

I use white electrical tape, it is easy to write on and is removed easily. Do not use masking tape (paper tape) as it dries and leaves paper and glue behind if you leave it on too long.

Alan.

Reactions: Rockum
First, the temptation is often to use masking tape. After all, we use it to mask when painting, so it should work well, yes? NO! — DON'T! While you'd think it'd work just fine, it's only meant to be on for a few hours to a few days. Too long and it leaves glue behind and other chemicals behind.

I've never used electrical tape for this, but as an electrical engineer, I have used a whole lot of it for connections over many years and it does leave glue and other residue if left on too long. Unfortunately, I don't know what too long is and perhaps some other member with experience using it could chime in. However,, you've still got several additional options.

Historically, we've used art tape on analog desks. This is the stuff used by artists and framers to hold prints to matting and such. It's not cheap, but it's acid-free and you can leave a scribble strip on a mixer for years and it'll still come off clean — well, at least it always has for me and many others. A roll from Amazon is currently $12.95 for 180foot 3/4 roll w/Prime. It's white, non-glare, and takes writing well:

https://www.amazon.com/1-Inch-60-Yards-White-Artist-Tape/dp/B0026S3PCY

A friend likes this "economy" version of artists tape and claims it works well. I haven't tried it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004O7HIYQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These days, there is even an official "mixer tape" you can buy. Of course, it's even a little more expensive than artist tape, but hey, it's "specifically designed" for mixer scribble strips! That and another 4 bucks and you can get a cup of coffee at Starbucks. It's made by Hosa and you can get it for $14.50 for 180foot 3/4 roll w/Prime:

https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-LBL-505-White-Scribble-Console/dp/B00FC4YO8S

Here's Hosa's Webpage with a little more info (very little):

http://hosatech.com/product/lbl-505/

Finally, I don't know how it works with other DAWs, but with Pro Tools using the Mackie HUI protocol, the Control tab on the Remote screen displays 3 lines of 8 channels each. Whatever label you assign to each mixer channel in PT (e.g. kick, snare, hihat, etc.) will be displayed on the aforementioned screen. So, while it's not as good as an actual electronic strip for each channel as some mixers provide, it's probably the next best thing because you assign a name to each channel and that same name displays both in your DAW and on the Remote mixer display.

So there you are.

Back to electrical tape, if you buy good stuff and not the cut price bargain stuff, you don't have a problem with glue, I have left the tape on for a week with no problem. However I suppose it does depend on what the mixer surface is like where you are putting the tape, I have a steel strip that I place it on, if it was a painted surface it could be different.

Alan.

I honestly have no experience using electrical tape for this application, just as I described above. However, the residue to which I alluded was after a long time, as in several years. For the short term, it may be fine.

Thanks for the additional info!

Thank you for that very informative post @skier. Much appreciated

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but while we're on the subject of tape.

About a week ago I purchased a used DM-3200. The unit on a whole is very clean. The seller had told me about having used masking tape and said there was still some residue. You can barely see it but I know that it's there. Is there a safe way to completely remove it? A particular product that I should use. Thank you. Peter

I use painters tape. No residue and sticky enough not to fall off.

@Peter Batah I've used a cloth with rubbing alcohol and mild elbow grease to remove glue residue off my 2nd DM3200 when I first bought it. Took it off 100% with little effort.

Yeah, same here, masking/painters tape. If you get a branded one it will come off clean. Well, in my case a project for either recording or mixing never stretches over more than say 3 weeks, so residue is never an issue.

Peter, the safest way to remove any glue is usually naphtha. Of course, you should try using it on the back or bottom of the mixer first to assure it won't damage the finish, but so far, I have never had a problem with it doing so on anything. In fact, naphtha is typically used by furniture builders to rub out finishes to a smooth, clear look.

Apply it to a clean rag an wife it over the glue-residue area; it should remove it and nothing else. It works far better than toothpaste or peanut butter that is often recommended for this purpose. I have also used it for years to remove the glue of price tags from any product.

I've not tried rubbing alcohol as cmaffia recommends, but I think that also might work well. The rule in chemistry is that "like dissolves like". That means that petroleum products will dissolve other petroleum products or finishes; alcohol will dissolve alcohol finishes and alcohol stains; and likewise, water will dissolve water-based finishes. I believe that many glues are petroleum based and that's why naphtha works so well.

NOTE: NEVER use acetone, which some will also recommend. Acetone WILL remove glue, and it'll also remove finish, paint, and many other surface coatings. It is a very universal solvent and NOT GOOD to use as a glue remover.

Reactions: ampsarus
Cmaffia or Arjan, are you guys referring to the blue painter's tape or is there a white or at least whiter one that you've had good luck with?

Thank you all for the wonderful advice. Have yourselves a great day! Peter

On page 55 of the user's manual in the upper right hand corner we see a "Tip" that reads:

The three assignable monitoring buttons.............................allowing you to mark the current functions with an appropriate marker. What type of marker might they be making reference to?

@Peter Batah, I've never tried it, but maybe Tascam is referring to removable marker, like whiteboard marker or 'overhead sheet' marker. That should come off with a dry tissue..

Cmaffia or Arjan, are you guys referring to the blue painter's tape or is there a white or at least whiter one that you've had good luck with?
The one I currently use is purple, marketed as 'sensitive' painters tape, aimed at 'delicate surfaces'. But in the past I also used the standard 3M/Scotch yellowish tape, which also comes off clean - UNLIKE some of the brandless cheapo tapes.

@Peter Batah, The one I currently use is purple, marketed as 'sensitive' painters tape, aimed at 'delicate surfaces'. But in the past I also used the standard 3M/Scotch yellowish tape, which also comes off clean - UNLIKE some of the brandless cheapo tapes.

Thanks, Arjan!

The nice thing about electrical tape is that they have it in silver and grey. Bet there's a close match to the DM surface out there somewhere.

Reactions: Peter Batah
As Skier mentioned, Naphtha is the best solvent for removing glue residue from most surfaces. Actually, I don't know of any surfaces naphtha would attack.
The easiest way to obtain Naphtha is from a bottle of Ronsonol lighter fluid, available at drug stores and smoke shops. Zippo brand fluid is probably ok too but I have never used it.

Ronsonol removes 30 year old price tags from CD jewel cases without damage, so it's safe for the metal on your DM. It also disolves chewing gum in carpet, it's a miracle solvent.

Best,

Last edited:
Does lighter fluid contain just naphtha? Or are there possibly other petroleum compounds included? If any concern, you can get naphtha at almost any hardware store, including the big ones, such as Home Depot or Lowes.

Reactions: ampsarus
The nice thing about electrical tape is that they have it in silver and grey. Bet there's a close match to the DM surface out there somewhere.

Silver too? I use black, white, red, blue yellow, green, orange, and gray (not an obsession, use different colors for separate phases, individual wire bundles, etc.... ok, maybe a little bit of an obsession... :))

New threads

Members online

No members online now.