SD card problems

Chris Reeder

Gear owned
Tascam dp-32sd
When I insert my SD card it get a message that says "card error format card". I'm extremely new to this just got my unit Saturday off of Reverb. Any help out there? Thanks

Chris, which model? I have had this problem in both a DP-32 and a DP-24 (original w/MIDI/CD) which required replacing the main circuit board. If that is your problem, the part new runs about $160 when I last checked. I got lucky and found damaged units and was able to salvage the working boards. Hopefully you might just have a bad SD card/format. Just check your manual or view available YouTube tutorials on subject.

I have the dp-32sd. I may not even be using the card that I need. I just tried a sandisk 16gb brand new and it won't work.

I just checked my DP-32 and I am using a 16GB SanDisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s SDCard w/o issue. You just need to make sure you are using a TASCAM approved/tested SDCard with your unit to rule out any compatibility issues before you dig deeper. The DP-24/32 line can be fussy about SDCards. Will your SDCards format in a PC as a test? BTW, if the reader in your DP-32SD is bad, your best bet is to get a replacement PCB from Full Compass (part # TASCAM E95439310A) if you have tech skills and feel comfortable under the hood. If not you might be looking at sending to a TASCAM service center. Once again, it just might be your SDCard ....

Well it went a lot better when I formatted my card!!! ‍♂️ I told you I was new!! Thanks for the help

Got a question, doesn't really pertain to Tascam recording but you guys seem to know what you are doing. I'm struggling with keeping good time. I use a metronome but I'm struggling with that. I have heard from a sound engineer that they use a drum machine to start with and that's how they get it so tight. Can anyone help me? Thanks guys

I just posted with the same problem but I can't get my cards to format. I slapped a new card and quick formatted it. The machine said no card. So I did a full format and it just formatted continuously. I tried a scandisk one that was recommended but that one wouldn't read after formatting. So I put the original, factory provided card and it won't read that one either even after reformatting. Now for context, this machine is a little over a year old and I've not spent much time with it so wear and tear is probably not the issue. This is a Tascam DP-24SD also.

@Maddog What do you mean by the machine won't read the card after formatting? Are you able to record anything?

MJK, no. The machine thinks there's no card in it. So far I've tried to format three cards and every time the unit just doesn't recognize it.

Reactions: -mjk-
To be clear, there wasn't a problem until I removed the factory card. Then, nothing works. Even the factory card says format was complete but when I get back to the home menu to record it either gives me a "no card installed" or " invalid card" message. The only reason I changed out the factory card was because I was putting on hold what I was working on and didn't want to loose it. I finally, out of frustration, opted to loose it just to have a card that worked. Now nothing I do seems to work.

Ok, @Maddog - I'll be the obnoxious jerk:
Have you checked to be sure that the "lock" slide on the SD cards is set to the "open" position, not "locked"? It's not terribly unusual for these to get moved when handling the cards, if you're not accustomed to avoiding it...I know, 'cuz I've done it myself!:oops:

And - to be even more obnoxious/offensive: be sure you're inserting it right side (label side) up! (it shouldn't insert at all, if it's not...)

You're only being a little jerky but I'm ok with it. Good points and I'll check it out. Being somewhat technically challenged I may not have thought about that. As I said, this unit is fairly new to me and things have kept me from exploring it as much as I would like since I've owned it. My only experience with SD cards up to this point has been in digital cameras. From my research on the subject I've learned that you need a card that not only has enough memory but also can effectively read and write at the same time. Until I reinstalled the original card I thought I just didn't have the right card.

Until I reinstalled the original card I thought I just didn't have the right card
FWIW: as has been documented all over the forum: the DP's are notoriously fussy about the SD card/s you use...
Another thing I forgot to mention/remind of: the DP's typically have a size-limit of 32GB. I've never tried to put a 64GB+ one in, but I bet you'd get an error message.

Even when you DO use cards that are on the "Tascam approved" list, they can wear out/fail/malfunction/be difficult...and if you use bad/fake/defective cards...your chances of not having problems is about the same as a US politician behaving with honesty, integrity, and commitment to their constituency...:confused:

Good luck!

Shred, all good info. Attitude could use a little adjustment but everything you've mentioned has been helpful but has not solved the problem. I checked to be sure the plastic was not still in place and made sure the card was not locked. The machine will tell you if it is when you try to format. Nothing works. I bought another card when I tried to quick format it says format complete but when I go back to the home menu it says no card. I've got a full format going now but it's acting like it did before and just goes into terminal format. Thanks again for the info.

I started my recording experience in analog studios in the 80s. At my age digital does give me some difficulty but this seems like there's something more that I'm missing. I'm sure I look like an idiot but apparently I need the help.

MJK, no. The machine thinks there's no card in it. So far I've tried to format three cards and every time the unit just doesn't recognize it.

Got it. I would factory reset the machine. Even given the low mileage, it is entirely possible that the reader has failed.

[...] it says no card [...]
This message + different cards = probability of a defective SD drive or a system hiccup. I would inspect the inside looking for a detached connector or a bad solder, best with the help of a magnifying glass.
Look into the SD drive with a lamp from the slot side, sometimes one or more contacts can get broken.

I don't know. The machine has not been used enough to start having problems with the hardware. It worked fine until I tried to swap out the card. I do have to say initially I tried to replace the original card however, I discovered that the card is actually a small card inside of an adapter. Somehow the small card seems to be gone. Don't know how I lost it but it's missing. That explains why the factory card didn't work. It's not in the adapter.

I'm guessing the new cards are just not compatible. I've heard through this site that there's a list of approved t Tascam cards. Does anyone know where I can get that list. I've not had any luck finding it online.

Reactions: David Porter

New threads

Members online

No members online now.