SDHC's Future

Gear owned
2488 mkII DP-32SD DR-05
I'm not sure how long it will take but SDHC cards will eventually go out of production in favor of SDXC. The Kaossilator Pro in my studio will only accept SD cards (max of 2 gig). You can still go online and get a 2G SD but to get a good one there will be a premium. Newegg currently shows a 2 gig SanDisk class 2 card for $50 while the same card is advertised at Walmart for $20. There are a lot of no name or unheard of brands of standard SD cards out there at various prices but we all know how picky the DP units can be without a quality card.

Today I can go to Best Buy and pick up a 32 gig SanDisk Ultra Plus Class 10 U1 card for $15. Lately I've been picking up these deals even if I don't need new cards for the time when out of production SDHC cards are sold at a premium. Memory cards do wear with use and our DP's write and delete a whole lot more files than your average memory card user. Maybe I'm just being paranoid but as someone who used to buy 1" and 2" reels of tape $15 is one hell of a deal for a session.

Yep. This has occurred to me as well. I've bought a couple of backup cards - but I'm thinking I'll keep grabbing some here and there as I find decent deals - while they still exist.

Well, there is no indication that the 32Gb SDHC size is being abandoned.

Brand new lines of SD cards still have their 32Gb SDHC card in the lineup, for example, Sony’s announcement today for new rugged, high-speed, expensive SD cards: https://www.dpreview.com/news/1958232404/sony-launches-new-line-of-rugged-sd-memory-cards (Observe the 32Gb SDHC card available as part of this brand new product group)

In terms of the long term, good SanDisk SDHC cards are only $20 a pop right now, so get 10 at that price (which will cost quite a bit less than a single 2 inch analog reel which only stores 30 minutes of 15ips music) if you’re worried about it: https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extreme-32GB-UHS-I-SDSDXXG-032G-GN4IN/dp/B01J5RHBQ4/ That is about 10 albums worth of music before needing to rewrite a card.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.