Settings/Routing for IF/DM Analog card slot2

codabass

From
Riverside Ca.
Gear owned
DM-3200
I hate to ask this but after a few days of trying without results :mad: its time to ask.

Using the DM -3200 with win7 fire wire card installed, all is well. Recently installed the analog IF/DM card into slot two and plugged in the Tascam cable. Slot 2 shows up installed and functioning. My question is this..

1) In the routing page under OUTPUT 1 scroll over to slot2, but then what? OUTPUT SELECT offers slot2 trk 1-8 but the center TERMINAL SELECT screen doesn't offer a slot2? How do I set this card up to route my 8 channels out through this card? They go into an analog 8 channel summering box and then two stereo channels back into PT.

2) OUTPUT SLOT tab I scroll to slot2 then Terminal Select I scroll down to slot2 then over to the far left Output Select and select slot2 Trk-1,2,3,4 and so on is this correct?

Can't seem to get the full swing of the routing theater, but enjoy my nightly hand to hand combat with this thing..lol :eek:

Thanks for any suggestions...

I think the excellent DM Routing Zen topic by Capt Dan is a good place to start.

indeed it is. I've read it many times over the last several months. It has been a great help unlike the manual.
But my problem is more site specfic thanks for the input.

Hi,

I think it is very simple..
In terminal select in the middle you select Slot 2 Trk 1-8 then in the far left Output select you choose what slot you want to set to the card.
Example
Terminal select Slot 2
In Source select you choose what you want to send to the Slot 2 (mostly it is Slot 1)
Output select you choose the chanel (1-8) you want to use. If you choose for 1 you select with the big wheel (jog/data) slot1 chanel 1-32 then when you have find the chanel you clik (enter)
This works for me so it should work for you too.

Good luck

Tejo

That is correct, the Output slot tab shows slot 2 etc. but my dilemma is in the OUTPUT tab. Center screen under the Output tab shows terminal select. The scroll down menu choices are, Tdif 1,2,3, ADAT, Digital out, ASN send, Eff send1, Eff send2.
How do I config this window?

Hi,

At the moment I only use output for my asn send and eff sends and route these back into my DM by the input. If you want to receive your slot 2 back then you need to use input there you choose for slot 2 and choose what channel and what channel you want to use from your slot 2 card. Hope this helps you a bit.

Ok I think I understand. I had convinced myself that one had to set something in the Output tab or nothing would work. I wanna slap the engineer at Tascam who sold this layout idea to upper design, who pushed onto management and made it happen. Get a rope ! Thanks Tejo and arjan for your help btw..

Hi Codabass - Were you able to get your analog out to work? I have a similar issue except I have the IF-AE/DM AES card that I'm trying to send from into my Lynx Aurora 8 for conversion. I'm not getting any signal into the Aurora.

Sorry for the delay, seems my mail forwarding didn't work. Well, no I still haven't got it working. I mean I know it works, but can't get my head around how to do it. Sorry

I have a similar issue except I have the IF-AE/DM AES card that I'm trying to send from into my Lynx Aurora 8 for conversion. I'm not getting any signal into the Aurora.

I've read your post a couple times and I'm not sure if I'm understanding exactly what you are trying to do. The AES card is purely digital signal to digital signal. For instance in my case I use it to collect 8 of the outputs of an Apogee AD16x. If you have a lynx aurora 8 that you want to use for conversion and you are using an AES card you are probably out of luck. If I've misunderstood completely I will detail in the next paragraph the unique experience I had with my AES card when I first got it.

I can't remember if the Lynx cards have the same AES format as Tascam or Yamaha but a couple year ago when I was configuring my Apogee AD16x to work with the AE/DM card I had to have a Yamaha to Tascam Converter cable AND I had two switch the polarity of something on a menu on th DM. It was a maddening experience until I sort of randomly ticked that check box on what I think the was the expansion slot page or something. Could be a similar issue for you. There wasn't really any clue why this was the answer but it was.

I hope something in there is of use to you.

What we're specifically trying to do is to pass the digital audio from the DM-3200 digitally via the digital AES card to the digital ins of the Aurora and 8 analog out through the Aurora. Basically we would be using the DM-3200 as a digital patchbay. My partner contacted Lynx and according to the Lynx tech we had the wrong cable. We need a Yamaha pinout crossover to Tascan pinout cable. Going to exchange the present cable with Sweetwater for the correct cable. Hopefully with the right cable this will work fairly effortlessly.

We also intend to do a Black Lion Audio mod of our MOTU 2408 so that we can get additionally D/A output for running through a summing mixer and utilizing our hardware EQ's and compressors on mixdown.

The DM3200 analog mic pres are your inputs? You're going out via AES on a card slot to the Aurora 8 AES I/O 1-8, and from there into a computer or does the Aurora act as a format converter and you're using a IF/FW-DM into a computer?

I'm just curious because I also just use the DM purely digitally. My front end is an apogee AD16x driven by individual mic pre's. I don't do anything outside the digital domain once it goes through the Apogee right now but I've considered picking up a DA16x since they're not too expensive these days. I do have hardware comps and eq but usually track through them if they get used.

I also have a 2408, I wonder if I could use that as a format converter to pick up some analog I/O. I run at 96k and TDIF/ADAT get cut in half at that sample rate - 4 in, 4 out.

These boards are wonderfully configurable.

Most of the time, we record using outboard mic pre's directly into the Aurora and then the DAW. (We have the LT-USB card for the Aurora). So the DM-3200 functions just as a control surface when we track. I'm sort of a purist when I track so I will compress only lightly if at all and use the mic pre's high pass filter, usually no higher than 80 Hz, even for vocals. I prefer to do my processing at mixdown.

You should be able to use the 2408 for additional I/O. We tried it initially when we first got the board but we had some issues and ultimately did not use it.

I use the firewire card when setting up my mix and then switch over to the Aurora final mixdown. However, we effectively only have 3 stereo pairs on the Aurora at the moment as we print back into the DAW using channels 1-2 of the Aurora for recording and monitoring.

Our next purchase once we resolve the DM-3200 to the Aurora via AES issue is to get a Dangerous Music 2 Buss-LT summing mixer which has 16 mono I/O. This should be a nice way of interfacing our hardware with the DAW. (We just got the Shadow Hills Vandergraph stereo compressor about 2 weeks ago -- AMAZING!!!).

Sorry for the delay, seems my mail forwarding didn't work. Well, no I still haven't got it working. I mean I know it works, but can't get my head around how to do it. Sorry

What are you trying to route to where?

If you want something to come out of the Analog Card in Slot 2 you go to the Output Slot Tab and select the output there. So if I wanted Buss 1 to go out Slot 2 - Channel 1, I would go to the Output Slot tab:
1.) Under 'TERMINAL SELECT' use POD 3 to scroll to 'Slot 2',
2.) on the left under 'OUTPUT SELECT' make sure you are in the first Slot, which would equate to Slot 2 - Channel 1.
3.) After that, use POD 4 to scroll down to 'BUSS/DIRECT' under 'SOURCE SELECT' so that the radio button is filled in.
4.) Now you will be able to use the Jog wheel to scroll to 'BUSS 1' on the left under 'OUTPUT SELECT' or any other Buss or channel you want to assign to the output.

I promise you, once you get the hang of it, it is really easy.

Thanks 29Counts. After speaking with a tech with Lynx, it appears (at least partly) as if we had the wrong cable. I expect to receive the correct cable from Sweetwater by Wednesday. Hopefully I'll be able to check things out in the next few days and report.

I was looking into a Lynx and saw that tasty tidbit in the manual that they use the Yamaha pinout.
I just got 2 AES cards to use between my Pro Tools HD rig and the DM for 16 channels of summing. Should be interesting.
But the routing would still be the same for the AES card or the analog card.
It's a different way of thinking but once you get it, it will stick!

Last edited by a moderator:
CaptDan,
Currently I pass audio from the DM to Pro Tools HD via the TDIF connectors on my pair of Digi 192's. The 192's actually upsample so I can run the DM at 96k and even though the 192's are TDIF-1 spec, they upsample to 96k and let me pass a full 8 channels of 96k audio on the TDIF connections. The only problem is that the 192's won't pass the 96k through TDIF on the way out. So I have only been able to get 2 channels out through the AES connection on my Digi 192 back to the AES Digital input on the back of the DM. It works but sometimes I like to use the DM for summing.
I could just work in 48k and call it a day but for some reason I just like working at 96k so this has been an issue for me since I dumped the FireWire card and went PTHD.
So after looking into buying another DM3200 to cascade, or thinking about getting a DM4800 for the extra slots I decided to just buy 2 AES expansion cards (for one reason they were factory refurbed on eBay for $98 each!) and come out of the 192's via AES at 96k and this will provide me with 16 channels of digital audio at 96k into the DM so I can sum again if I want to.
I just feel that this setup will work better for me. I will have to get behind the mixer when tracking to put in one of my Analog cards for my external preamps but I can deal with that for the few times I am actually tracking bands lately.
I'll report back once I get the cards later this week and get them installed. I have a project I am doing in Cubase, yes I still use my Digi hardware with Cubase and not the firewire card, so I will know if this is going to work by the beginning of next week!

Thanks for the detailed post. The notion of going to PT/HD rattles around in my head occasionally so I'm interested in different ways to integrate it with the DM. Firewire works great for me, but - should it ever become an issue - it's nice to know there are option$. :)

Keep us posted on the progress.

CaptDan

I kicked around the idea of HD for a long time.
I got in when you could still do ilok asset transfers and bought an HD license on eBay. I used that with the DM and FireWire card for about a year until I started seeing the HD Native cards used and ended up getting one through Alto Music in NY and they did a package deal so I got a 192 with the Native card. This only worked because I already had the HD license.
But I have to say that once I went to HD hardware I understood why they package the software with the hardware, it just freaking works and works well!!!
I did it because the clients in my area will book time if you list Pro Tools HD, sad I know but it was a business decision that ended up freeing me up from system issues and actually made
Me more money in the long run by saving on lost time from not having to diagnose issues with the system. I fire it up and just start working.
Best decision I have ever made, besides the DM of course!!

New threads

Members online