Settings/Routing for IF/DM Analog card slot2

I was looking into a Lynx and saw that tasty tidbit in the manual that they use the Yamaha pinout.
I just got 2 AES cards to use between my Pro Tools HD rig and the DM for 16 channels of summing. Should be interesting.
But the routing would still be the same for the AES card or the analog card.
It's a different way of thinking but once you get it, it will stick!

That's basically my plan but I would be summing in the analog domain with the Dangerous Music LT-16. The Lynx is a great converter/interface. I have the Aurora 8. I'd recommend the Aurora 16 with the Thunderbolt card. We use the LT-USB for the Aurora. I'd like to switch to Thunderbolt but my partner is on a Windows PC and cannot find a Thunderbolt PCI card.

Yes indeed - PT/HD is like a gold shingle on the studio door. But as you say, there are technical/workflow advantages too.

If my fire wire setup ever wets the bed (or maybe even before), I'd do what you did, I think.

Look forward to hearing about the next chapter. ;)

CaptDan

Reactions: vigorianer
So you can use the Digidesign Avid 192 Digital units as a standalone without ProTools? I am PT PT/HD ignorant so forgive my newbie questions. Could I use one of these with the right cards as additional I/O via TDIF with the DM3200 (much like people are using the MOTU units for)? Could I use it's converters for mastering (much like I currently do with the DA-3000)?

Last edited:
Seems like a lot of EXTRA MORE gear to me. IDK, I just think if you're getting the work done with what you have, why more?

I agree. I'm not necessarily looking to go this route, just want to learn a little bit more about other gear, and how it can interface with the DM.

Could I use it's converters for mastering

Digi/Avid hardware is proprietary; the boxes only interface with 'sanctioned' PT software. As 29 Counts was saying earlier, he owned a PT license which made the hardware purchases logical and economical.

PS: I've been using my DM for commercial mastering applications and I haven't had a single client choose not to pay me because of it. Material translates - from $3.00 earbuds to $1000 living room monitors.

Go figure. :)

CaptDan

Hallo, i am a new Member. I use the DM 3200 with the tdif (16 channels) and PT HD2. Version 10.3.10. and one Digi 192 i/o. My PT Sessions (48kHz tdif to tdif) works fine but the same Session in 96 kHz not. (Dual Link). Tascam say we have no Problem with 96 kHz and 8 channels. PT say the same.. but no Sound comes out from the Digi i/o.
Some Massages are very interesting from Member 29ChounsNY. Can you tell me your Experiance with the AES/EBU Cards in DM?

Gery

You didn't ask me but I have some experience with some of your situation. I run my PT sessions at 96k or 88k almost all the time. In my experience I have only ever been able to get 4 channels of 96k from TDIF. My setup is a little bit different than yours so I can't really comment on the PT hardware function. I do use 2 AES cards at 96k with 8 channels routed for each and it works very well for a 16 channel setup.

If your question is whether or not an AES card can handle 8 channels of I/O in each direction the answer is yes. There is another post in this thread regarding a 192 I/O and TDIF that I didn't quite understand.

I can't get any sound from the 192's back to the DM at 96k. The 192's will upsample to 96k while using the TDIF connection on input ONLY. So basically the 192's can't do more than 48k on the TDIF connection but internally upsample the TDIF connection to 96k. But as mentioned in the manual, it is only on input. So on output, the 192's are only capable of 48k. At 96k it will look fine, you will see signal on the 192, but it will not pass the audio back to the DM mixer. At least that is the experience I have had and why I was using the 2 channel AES connection to get audio from Pro Tools to the DM at 96k.

I just got the AES cards on Friday and Sweetwater sent me an analog cable instead of an AES cable so I should have the correct cables Wednesday of this week and will be able to test it out. From my tests with my Focusrite ISA 428 digital card I was able to get audio into the DM on all 8 channels of the AES cards at 96k so I am hoping with the right cabling I will be able to get 16 channels out of the 192's and HD I/O (just added that last week!) into the DM on the 2 AES cards. That really has been the missing link for me.

I'll report back after Wednesday when I get the cables and test it out.

Reactions: vigorianer
At 96k it will look fine, you will see signal on the 192, but it will not pass the audio back to the DM mixer.

Have the same Problem.
I will work with AES/EBU 8channels 96 kHz, when it works..

Gery

It's not really a problem, it's the way the unit was designed to work. Why? That I can't answer but according to the manual it is working the way it should.

Cables should be here tomorrow, I'm really hoping this works! I am stalling on a project waiting to see if the this summing idea will work out.

Got the cables last night and all worked as planned. I can get my 16 channels of audio @ 96k between Pro Tools and the DM!

Seems like a lot of EXTRA MORE gear to me. IDK, I just think if you're getting the work done with what you have, why more?
That's the problem, I wasn't getting the work done and constantly running into issues with the FireWire combo.
Also, I don't really trust the timing of the FireWire protocol. I have had issues with overdubs not lining up and in all reality, hardware inserts in Pro Tools non-HD are unusable, and I have a lot of outboard gear that I wanted to use during mixing. I realized as I was trying to determine the values to enter for HW Insert offsets that I was never, ever, getting a consistent latency number using the FireWire card. That got me thinking (probably way too much) that something wasn't right. So I did some research, and decided that I wanted to use a proprietary system that automatically calculates for the HW insert offset so I could stop worrying about things lining up and just make some damn music. So I took the plunge and have not regretted it once! But the key is that I already owned the HD software so I bought everything piecemeal on eBay and from Alto Music. And I can tell you that I spent no where's near the asking price of a new system.
For me, it works and works well.

Reactions: captdan and wm_b
Thanks CaptDan, they are becoming far and few in between so I'll take them where I can!

Thanx for the good news. I Chance my setup to AES/EBU 96 kHz. Let me know more ..
Gery

I hope no one clowns me here but if so oh well if you don't know ask right? Well I am opening up a recording studio to work with at risk kids to get them off the streets into a structured environment to make them better young people. I have a Tascam DM 4800 with the firewire card and just bought one IF-AN/DM Analog expansion card and plan to get another one. I already have Logic Pro X and want to get a Protools HD rig. I am looking at the 192 i/o, and would like to be able to use 16 of the channels on the 4800 at once. Which Protools HD rig should I get? I do have lots of analog gear (keyboards, drum machines, mic pres (Avalon), fatso and emu sp 1200 etc to name a few things.

I am more of a financier behind the scenes putting up the money for the program but Id like to know what's going on myself because I know I can't always depend on an engineer to be there. Any help is appreciated.

@WILLIAM JOHNSON Unfortunately, I can't be of much help but would still like to commend you on the great work that you are doing. All the best!

New threads

Members online

No members online now.